Analysis Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

2 Years in, Is Leppa the Right Man for the Job?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We got Leigh who under suspicious circumstances asked Leppa to nominate for the coaching role... Pushed all the other candidates away and selected Leppa. Who knows if Leppa was the best candidate but something tells me he wasn't and the results seem to comply with those thoughts. Corrupted as hell IMO
I think this is a bit of a silly claim SM.

Well we got our man.
I seem to recall very few here were against his appointment. Reports from Richmond were pretty glowing. We can argue about whether it was the right call now but I don't think the hindsight suggestions it was a flawed selection process are very helpful.

Well we got our man.
I seem to recall very few here were against his appointment. Reports from Richmond were pretty glowing. We can argue about whether it was the right call now but I don't think the hindsight suggestions it was a flawed selection process are very helpful.

There is a bit of evidence behind the process being flawed with how Angus Johnson treated Paul Roos and the rumours of Adam Simpson feeling he was stuffed around.

There is a bit of evidence behind the process being flawed with how Angus Johnson treated Paul Roos and the rumours of Adam Simpson feeling he was stuffed around.

I don't recall anything about how Angus treating Roos? If anything the way I recall it was that they stupidly bent over backwards (including firing a coach) to try to accommodate someone who had no intention to come to the Lions.

There is no doubt the process was flawed, where we are at can be lot to to do with poor appointments, I am sure Leppa is giving everything he can for the club, in hindsight others are doing better with their squads. I also remember Simon Black being a forwards coach in his first year, no exp as a coach and never played there, legend but once again was he the best candidate?

Fair enough. Probably not handled well in this instance but regardless I think Leppa was always the front-runner once Roos was out of the equation.
Would we have been better off with Roos or Simpson? Possibly with Roos but he was never going to go north. It's tempting to look at the Eagles and wonder what might have been but the jury is still out on Simpson as a coach given the players and resources at his disposal. Richardson, who's to say where he would have taken us? It's all speculation and pretty easy to question the initial decision given our current predicament. I was in favour of his selection at the time but reckon I got it wrong and so did the club. Nothing really to do with the process.

Well we got our man.

Mostly we were just happy to have avoided Neil Craig.

Not a joke, just to clarify. There was genuinely a lot of concern at the time that Craig would get the job.

Fair enough. Probably not handled well in this instance but regardless I think Leppa was always the front-runner once Roos was out of the equation.
Would we have been better off with Roos or Simpson? Possibly with Roos but he was never going to go north. It's tempting to look at the Eagles and wonder what might have been but the jury is still out on Simpson as a coach given the players and resources at his disposal. Richardson, who's to say where he would have taken us? It's all speculation and pretty easy to question the initial decision given our current predicament. I was in favour of his selection at the time but reckon I got it wrong and so did the club. Nothing really to do with the process.

That's where I am at. I recall there being some 'surprise' and comments made that it was a lame duck race, particularly from the Simpson camp - but none the less, I was happy with the process and the appointment.

One thing from the outset that bothered me, was Leppa mentioned using Michael Voss as an 'invaluable resource' in helping him transition, as he was a Mate - it worried me that he might have got Voss's view on things and it might have become his subconscious - so he came in with a 'he works hard, he doesn't, he is really temperamental, he isnt.." etc.. view on players, especially with Leigh also giving him the 'lay of the land' also - I was worried then that given the three are close, Leppas tenure might have been an extension of the Voss tenure in a sense, that the wasn't enough of a FRESH START vibe about the transition.

Not saying Voss determined Leppas view on players or the outcome, but given their tenures have sort of combined into one, just in a 'feel' sense, it makes me wonder, how big of a role Leigh plays behind the scenes and was there enough of a 'clean slate' vibe around the club - especially given Leppa didn't change much in terms of assistant coaches, all the dead wood was still there.

Lol at all the I haven't posted in x-month heroes, this place is a basket case of posters. You're obviously still in the background reading it all, makes you look like right twats. As far as I'm concerned I feel we're in desperate need of a mark Harvey esq role back at the club. Leppa needs some support from an old head.
I haven't posted in this thread but I do read more than I post so I'm taking exception to this.

- Do you not see the irony in bagging someone who doesn't post much for making a post? Way to be encouraging...
- Some people (me, for example) don't feel the need to contribute very often if we have nothing much to add. You guys presumably know more about the team than me so I'm happy to listen and learn generally. Of course vague comments about a change in coaching that probably will never be proven wrong or right make me question this...
- Maybe they have jobs/lives/kids/study/whatever that you have no idea about and don't really have the time usually. The club starts going well/poorly and they make the time to say something. Tell me why this is so wrong?

I haven't posted in this thread but I do read more than I post so I'm taking exception to this.

- Do you not see the irony in bagging someone who doesn't post much for making a post? Way to be encouraging...
- Some people (me, for example) don't feel the need to contribute very often if we have nothing much to add. You guys presumably know more about the team than me so I'm happy to listen and learn generally. Of course vague comments about a change in coaching that probably will never be proven wrong or right make me question this...
- Maybe they have jobs/lives/kids/study/whatever that you have no idea about and don't really have the time usually. The club starts going well/poorly and they make the time to say something. Tell me why this is so wrong?
Wouldn't worry about it too much. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Leemas is considered a terrible poster by most on here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no doubt the process was flawed, where we are at can be lot to to do with poor appointments, I am sure Leppa is giving everything he can for the club, in hindsight others are doing better with their squads. I also remember Simon Black being a forwards coach in his first year, no exp as a coach and never played there, legend but once again was he the best candidate?

That's a big statement T factor. I don't doubt that Leppa had a slight advantage over others being a legend of the club and knowing the challenges the club faces better than anyone else but he still had to convince a panel that he had a plan and how he was going to achieve it. I don't think many people who have met Leppa would be surprised that he got a senior coaching role.

Money, and for Ratten another shot at the title, for Dew a chance to prove he can take on the main job. The team isn't that bad it just needs to be coached better.
It's a very rare opportunity to get a head coaching gig in your career. I'd think as an aspiring assistant coach you'd jump at any opportunity

Lol at all the I haven't posted in x-month heroes, this place is a basket case of posters. You're obviously still in the background reading it all, makes you look like right twats. As far as I'm concerned I feel we're in desperate need of a mark Harvey esq role back at the club. Leppa needs some support from an old head.
Re the coaching part i agree to some extent but i'd actually rather a smart footy brain someone like David King as an assistant, someone who can analyse teams, come up with strategic options to pull teams apart, come up with ideas to help us move forward with the modern game.

Last edited:
It's a very rare opportunity to get a head coaching gig in your career. I'd think as an aspiring assistant coach you'd jump at any opportunity
yep, as AFLQLD pointed out in post #739 looks like there will be very few if any coaching changes at the end of this season. that being the case if the club decide to move leppa on we will have the pick of all the available candidates. IMO we will need a coach who has not been affiliated with the lions before and who has or still is involved in an assistant capacity with a very successful side eg. hawks, cats or swans.

i can see no reason to ditch leppa now, if he was to go now it would be one of the assistants there that would be the caretaker so i can not see the sense in that. let him see out the season, have a full and frank review, make a decision not based on a knee jerk or emotional response, followed by a thorough interview process and another fresh start. also would like to see a selection panel with maybe 1 lions representative eg. greg swan and the rest made up of respected independent footy people eg. paul roos + a couple of others.

yep, as AFLQLD pointed out in post #739 looks like there will be very few if any coaching changes at the end of this season. that being the case if the club decide to move leppa on we will have the pick of all the available candidates. IMO we will need a coach who has not been affiliated with the lions before and who has or still is involved in an assistant capacity with a very successful side eg. hawks, cats or swans.

i can see no reason to ditch leppa now, if he was to go now it would be one of the assistants there that would be the caretaker so i can not see the sense in that. let him see out the season, have a full and frank review, make a decision not based on a knee jerk or emotional response, followed by a thorough interview process and another fresh start. also would like to see a selection panel with maybe 1 lions representative eg. greg swan and the rest made up of respected independent footy people eg. paul roos + a couple of others.
I would like to see a new coach,but agree it shouldn't be until the end of the season. That's assuming we continue to stink it up. Besides,our group of assistant coaches don't inspire me that much.

Shit yeah, then roos can impress sooo much during the panel process (LOL's), that we make him an assistant. Like Schwaby. Hell maybe he will blow our socks off so much whilst looking for a coach, that we will appoint him as head coach, he could just 'work out of Melbourne' in a limited capacity to keep is eldest Son and wife happy.

Shit yeah, then roos can impress sooo much during the panel process (LOL's), that we make him an assistant. Like Schwaby. Hell maybe he will blow our socks off so much whilst looking for a coach, that we will appoint him as head coach, he could just 'work out of Melbourne' in a limited capacity to keep is eldest Son and wife happy.
putting my opinion out there for discussion, doesn't necessarily have to be paul roos maybe mick malthouse.

putting my opinion out there for discussion, doesn't necessarily have to be paul roos maybe mick malthouse.

haha yeah he will bring us into the the century, kicking and screaming.

I liked and agree with the initial post too Mate, regardless of my chance to crack a gag.

No mate not bagging people like you but those who say I don't post often blah blah blah the state of the posters here blah blah blah' like their opinion means so much more. Please don't give me that I don't have time to post excuse, if you have time to read then you have time to post this literally took thirty seconds to write.

No mate not bagging people like you but those who say I don't post often blah blah blah the state of the posters here blah blah blah' like their opinion means so much more. Please don't give me that I don't have time to post excuse, if you have time to read then you have time to post this literally took thirty seconds to write.
Sure, individual posts don't take much time. Checking back and responding regularly does though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back