Is Melboune City/Victory already greater than any AFL Rivarly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I.think it is a valid question to be honest. Rivalries in the a-league are marketed much better than the rivalries in AFL nowadays. The Melbourne and Sydney derby is always a sellout regardless of ladder position. It becomes the hot ticket in town and a must watch game, not just for the people in their respective cities, but other states as well.

The AFL rivalries however become irrelevant once at least one team hits the bottom.

City and Victory can be the bottom 2 teams and people will still watch/attend the game, regardless of what state they live in. For instance, I might not be in Sydney, but I still enjoy the Sydney derby even though WSW were bad last year.

Compare that to the AFL. Who cares about the Collingwood-Carlton rivalry? Would you change your schedule just to watch that game?
Why are the Western derby/Showdown hardly ever on prime time television? Who really cares outside of their respective states when they are on the bottom? Even the Hawthorn-Geelong rivalry is becoming irrelevant now.

About 10 or so years ago, rivalries were marketed much better. Games like Essendon vs Carlton were hyped regardless of ladder position. People complained, that's been changed. Now, no one gives a crap about rivalries. They care more about the quality of games they are watching, which is valid, but kills the rivalry aspect that the a-league have used to their advantage.

That is one of the effects of equalisation

Agree with the above poster.

Rivalries in the AFL currently are very stale.

In the late 70's, the likes of Collingwood v Carlton were brutal battles forged on historical hatred, geographical battles and finals success. Those days are gone.

Melbourne Victory are becoming a massive club. They are successful and they have a big supporter base, Melbourne City have the oil money backing them and they are able to lean on the global brand of one of the biggest soccer or sporting clubs in the world.

More than the "Derby" More than the "Showdown"? More than Cats V Hawks first round in 2016?

NO!

First of all many Melburnians are notorious at being insecure about everything. There is no such thing as a Sydney/Melbourne rivalry accept if you live in Melbourne. Nobody in Sydney gives a shit about a big "City" rivalry. When we travel and someone asks where we come from we whisper Melbourne, we never shout it out loud! I guess we are sick of hearing the weather and public transport jokes? We retort "we have the footy and great coffee" In 2015 everybody has great coffee, not everyone has our footy... and the rivalries in footy are just as strong as ever, they are just spread out across the nation a lot more. Seriously if the A league Soccer could schedule City V Victory 10 times a season they would, it's all they've got going for them. They are located in Melbourne, the home of sport in this country....shout that out loud!
Good luck to them, can't wait to see the Stars play the Renegades right here in Melbourne!

Last edited:
Is this a joke :drunk:
No. The OP has made a valid point. The Victory - City rivalry is THE only genuine sporting rivalry in this city because these 2 teams have no other cross-town competition.

AFL rivalries come and go. We talk them up and the AFL does its bit to perpetuate them (e.g. the Anzac Day clash), but its not the same.

More than the "Derby" More than the "Showdown"? More than Cats V Hawks first round in 2016?

NO!
Who is going to care about those games if even one of those teams is down the bottom?

The general public just don't care about rivalries like they used to in previous years anymore. The derby consists of 2 preliminary finalists. The showdown consists of 2 teams likely to finish top 8. The Cats-Hawks game consists of the reigning premiers and it's rival which has rejuvenated its list.

What you should be asking yourself is: "is the Melbourne derby bigger than the Collingwood-Carlton and Carlton-Essendon games coming up in 2016?" If the answer is yes, then it proves the point of the OP. These two rivalries, along with the Carlton-Richmond and Essendon-Hawthorn rivalry, are considered the historic rivalries that remain regardless of ladder position. If neutrals don't care about it, then it is valid to say that the derby is bigger than the current stale nature of AFL rivalries.

So two teams roll around on the ground, like Michael J Fox on fire, in front of each other and we are supposed to think that can ever form some sort of rivalry?

It isn't even a sport. The first thing they have to do in that sport is make the ball relevant, and watch the look of revelation on the fans' faces around the world when rolling around on the ground like you're on fire isn't your primary skill.

So two teams roll around on the ground, like Michael J Fox on fire, in front of each other and we are supposed to think that can ever form some sort of rivalry?

It isn't even a sport. The first thing they have to do in that sport is make the ball relevant, and watch the look of revelation on the fans' faces around the world when rolling around on the ground like you're on fire isn't your primary skill.
What?

Who is going to care about those games if even one of those teams is down the bottom?

The general public just don't care about rivalries like they used to in previous years anymore. The derby consists of 2 preliminary finalists. The showdown consists of 2 teams likely to finish top 8. The Cats-Hawks game consists of the reigning premiers and it's rival which has rejuvenated its list.

What you should be asking yourself is: "is the Melbourne derby bigger than the Collingwood-Carlton and Carlton-Essendon games coming up in 2016?" If the answer is yes, then it proves the point of the OP. These two rivalries, along with the Carlton-Richmond and Essendon-Hawthorn rivalry, are considered the historic rivalries that remain regardless of ladder position. If neutrals don't care about it, then it is valid to say that the derby is bigger than the current stale nature of AFL rivalries.
Victory had lost the previous 3 games in a row, i didn't even know the result of the game until this morning's news. It's the best rivalry in Soccer, it's all the A League have going for it. The AFL have long standing rivalries that have lasted generations, those games mentioned in your post will still have huge interest for supporters of those teams and will still draw 50,000 spectators plus. The Derby and Showdowns are way ahead in AFL ranks and way ahead of any City V Victory rivalry.
The Hawks and Cats will draw 70,000 in round one looking to see if the rejuvenated Cats with it's star recruits can knock off the 3 time champs? There will be a lot of neutrals watching with interest on that outcome.
Me? This summer i'm just looking forward to the Stars V Renegades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think people are confusing soccer's (lesser) place in our sporting landscape with the feeling in the derbies.

AFL rivalries in Melbourne are boring as hell. Most of the 'Big Four' teams have been so pathetically inept for years now that matches between them are just average games for the fans turning up, let alone neutrals. The class divides between fans have totally dissipated, too.

Nobody would've cared about Hawthorn-Geelong either if not for Chapman's comments or the hoodoo, now it's just another match.

And by the way, "I hadn't even heard about that club/the result/etc" is a testament to your own ignorance more than anything.

Whatever happened to that other Melbourne team?
Which "other" Melbourne team? I assume you are talking about the Heart. They are now Melbourne City, based on Manchester City's investment.

To the OP's question, its hard to judge from this distance but I'd be surprised if that was the case. The Carlton-Collingwood and other traditional rivalries in the AFL are somewhat less important than in the past. A lot of that is probably due to the fact that in a competition that tries to level the playing field a bit, they aren't meeting in cut-throat finals almost every year. The Derby and Showdown are the big rivalries now, independent of ladder position. That they are never seen on FTA on the east coast doesn't take away from how big they are within those cities - just as Victory-City is not really that big outside of Melbourne.

The A-League's Melbourne derby is big (Bling FC v WS is probably bigger), and gets all A-League fans from that city involved. But at this point in time is that enough people to say it is bigger than two of the AFL's big clubs? I doubt it. I daresay the rivalry is probably more intense among the respective fan bases, but the fan bases are still that much smaller that it is not a "bigger" rivalry.

The big rivalries in the VFL and AFL would have been.

Carlton & Richmond in the 70's.
Carlton & Collingwood reached it's zenith in the 70 & 80's.
Melbourne & Collingwood in the 50 & 60's.
Hawthorn & Essendon in the 80's.
Essendon & Carlton in the 90's.
Geelong & Hawthorn in the 00's.

Although the Geelong and Hawthorn Rivarly may be the big one, history suggests it will also become less relevant like those above rivals. Most of them were based on onfield success and football is cyclical.

Aside from the derby and showdown, the City v Victory rivalry is current bigger than the AFL ones, namely because of the fact that they are marketed better and have more feeling in them than the AFL rivalries.

I think people are confusing soccer's (lesser) place in our sporting landscape with the feeling in the derbies.

Probably because people in this thread are claiming A-League fixtures are bigger than the WA/SA derbies and matches between the traditional Victorian powerhouses. Saying they have more feeling or passion is subjective, but claiming they're bigger is factually wrong. The A-League derby would've barely had 150k watching on SBS + Foxtel to go with the 23k at the ground. Completely pales into insignificance compared to any number of AFL rivalries.

Probably because people in this thread are claiming A-League fixtures are bigger than the WA/SA derbies and matches between the traditional Victorian powerhouses. Saying they have more feeling or passion is subjective, but claiming they're bigger is factually wrong. The A-League derby would've barely had 150k watching on SBS + Foxtel to go with the 23k at the ground. Completely pales into insignificance compared to any number of AFL rivalries.

It's not just about TV ratings.

There is bonafide passion between both supporter groups, hatred and two clubs hate each other. Those traits are rare in the AFL now because of the sanitised nature of it and Thr equalisation methods that have taken the identity of AFL clubs as being franchises.

The game would have packed out Ethiad if it was played there last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back