Is Melboune City/Victory already greater than any AFL Rivarly?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

TropperFarquhar

Team Captain
Nov 20, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not normally a soccer fan but watched the soccer tonight and it was one of the most intense games of sport I have seen. High quality game, very well attended crowd, two clubs who hate each other and emotion in the terraces.

A lot of rivalries in the AFL have fallen by the wayside because of the sanitised nature of the sport and lack of geographic rivalries that underpinned the league for over 100 years.

The City/Victory Rivarly is building very nicely and will soon be one of the biggest rivalries in Australian sport.

Yeah theyre doing well. But reality is its 2 teams one state. We have death rivalry between 10. Going back 100 years.

It's Victory v the other team with a few supporters who have recently come in to plenty of cash.

Tonight was a great game and the 2 big A League derbies (Sydney and Melbourne) are great but they don't make up for the rest of the league being mediocre.

The Showdown and Derby are as big as A league derbies we just don't get the build up in Melbourne. In a national comp we are more likely to see rivalries come and go depending on success and specific instances than Coll v Carl or so on. That said Rich v Carl round 1 each year might produce mainly dud games but it's a huge crowd and plenty of atmosphere.

So the future of AFL rivalries in Melbourne are such as the Geelong-St Kilda and Geel-Haw rivalries that have been very good in recent years. It might not have the same level of crowd active support but the media build up and quality of the games are just as good if not better.

Great atmosphere and in all my years of watching the beautiful game...a cracking , thrill a minute encounter!! Seriously, give it 10 more years at least before it comes anywhere near the big rivalries of AFL!

Great rivalry as in the South East Melbourne Magic / Nunawading 'Hang Ten' Spectres v Melbourne Tigers.

How's that one going 20 years down the track? Perhaps in another 20 years, the City / Victory rivalry will rival the basketball one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not normally a soccer fan but watched the soccer tonight and it was one of the most intense games of sport I have seen. High quality game, very well attended crowd, two clubs who hate each other and emotion in the terraces.

A lot of rivalries in the AFL have fallen by the wayside because of the sanitised nature of the sport and lack of geographic rivalries that underpinned the league for over 100 years.

The City/Victory Rivarly is building very nicely and will soon be one of the biggest rivalries in Australian sport.

What would the Geographical locations of these sides be?

Thread should be 'Is Melbourne City/Victory already greater than any sporting rivalry?'. It would make as much ****ing sense.

Even the Sydney FC vs. WSW rivalry is better :drunk:

Great rivalry as in the South East Melbourne Magic / Nunawading 'Hang Ten' Spectres v Melbourne Tigers.

How's that one going 20 years down the track? Perhaps in another 20 years, the City / Victory rivalry will rival the basketball one.

Where did the North Melbourne Giants fit in with all of this?

If you aren't normally a soccer fan how would you know it was a high quality game ?

There's nothing high quality about the A-League.

Where did the North Melbourne Giants fit in with all of this?

Somewhere, they all went the way of the dodo. I remember those heady nights in the early 90s when they'd play to a packed Rod Laver area at night with the roof open. Then it just disappeared.

I feel it is a valid question. Thing being 1 soccer supporters in the terraces are generally not quite right. 2 it is the only rivalry in town you really either follow one team or the other, it isn't a case of having 10 teams in one state. 3 Also in my experience they do Seem more passionate about the rivalry. Yeah victory have more supporters than city but I think the rivalry is a really big part of the game compared to AFL.

Also derbys in AFL I can't really compare the build up on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back