• Splinters/Too early

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Have faith in our learnings

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 35 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm very hopeful that, in the wash, last night will be a bit like R19 vs the Dogs. Coming up against a side in ripping form, but not actually playing that badly.

Real 'learnings' game that has closed the door on the Grundy experiment and the Smith position question IMO.

No coincidence that the Grundy inclusion stifled Gawny's game pretty much since they last played.

Gawn has been playing All Australian footy as the sole ruckman and yet we reverted back to a system that hasn't been working.

Not only that, this whole Grundy experiment has been an absolute disgrace by the coaching staff.

They sent him to Casey to to work on his forward craft and yet was close to worst on ground in his last Casey game as a forward but somehow it was justified to bring him back in off that back of poor performance.

Feels like all that good work we've done in 5 works was completely taken apart purely from this weeks team selections.
Whilst I agree with this somewhat, the circumstances around selection weren't normal with Petty going down and none of our other key forwards available.

Grundy and Max seemed to have a 25/75 split of the ruck contests going by stats (I don't have exact time % but just ruck contests taken via AFL) which was clearly aimed at keeping Max in the game and doing what he's been doing well the last month or so. Grundy was shit last week in the VFL but there's been some talk that his training up forward in match sim was "encouraging". Hard to tell if this was media fluff or not, though.

Tomlinson playing back and Smith playing forward was put forward as an option but even that is suspect (although probably worth a shot next week). Smith seems to do his best work in bursts up forward and Tomlinson is very matchup specific with his lack of agility.

The Petty situation is shit and we have almost no good answers for it currently due to form and injury. Personally on a wet night I would have liked to see us go a bit smaller but the match committee seems wedded to the "structure" the 3 talls provides as that is the structure we have had the most success with.

It'll be really interesting to see if Gawn can bring his recent form into September. It's safe to say it will have a huge impact either way.

Only 3 teams have made the GF after finishing 4th since 2000.

We drop either of the next 2 games our season is 100% over
homer3.jpg

Yep, hate twitter tbh, but gotta have a burner to keep up on the footy news.
Keep the updates coming – it helps to keep me off that hellscape, haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just want a god damn mcg prelim. Not even a ******* mcg flag just a big game we can all be excited for.
I know covid happened and we lost footy in Melbourne, but we haven't won a final at the MCG since 2018, that's a long time given the success we've had, just itching for a massive win at the G, last years finals were so disappointing.

Only 3 teams have made the GF after finishing 4th since 2000.

We drop either of the next 2 games our season is 100% over
We wont finish anywhere other than fourth. Lions wont lose to saints at home either will port at home to the tigers.

Would have preferred we finished 2nd to get a home final against port/lions, but a game against the pies at the G is the next best thing.

I still have Pies as the favourite because their best is much better than anyone else's, but they'll need to get Moore and Daicos fit in able to deliver their absolute best.

More than any other season, this season won't necessarily come down to a season standout rising to the top but whichever of 5-6 teams can get onto a winning streak at the right time. Whoever finishes top 2 out of Port and Brisbane has a nice start because they'll only need two home wins and an MCG win to do it.

Daniel Hoyne just pointed out something on SEN. 2021 we were by far the best last quarter team in the comp. Dropped off significantly in the second half of 2022 but this season we're well and truly back on top in that area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is Our Flag Window Shut?

Back