Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Have faith in our learnings

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 35 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Put the stars on ice, start Oliver’s pre season now and play the kids

Try get draft capital from Rivers, Fritsch, Sparrow, Salem, Viney and Chandler and reset

Why would we trade Rivers? He is a quality young player.

Cant hit a target, bloke has been a turnover merchant off half back these past few weeks.

And because he would actually get us draft capital. Unless you think we can package up Schache, Laurie, Adams, Billings and Jefferson for picks, we need to actually give up something of value to rebuild.

Ship off the older blokes and we'd get something. You can turn multiple second rounders into first rounders with academy bids. No point trading a good 22 year old to bring in a good 18 year old.

We have an army of NQR talls thanks to Tim Lamb, once May and Gawn retire we are going to have the worst list of talls in the league by a country mile.

BBB
Fullerton
Schache
Petty
Turner
Adams
Faris-White
Jefferson
Kentfield

Leaving Tmac and Tomo out as they are serviceable and Verall is starting to show something but the rest are trash.

Hope we are looking at blokes like Leek Aleer who can’t get a run behind Taylor/Buckley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're going to be almost entirely bereft of senior talent, or any decent depth, and basically playing a team of kids and mediocre rejects from other teams in 18 months time.

Gawn, May, TMac, Tomo, Viney, Brown, Schache, Billings, Melksham and Hunter all in the retire or delist bucket sooner rather than later.

Brayshaw already gone and who knows what will happen with Oliver.

So we'll have Petracca, Salem, ANB, Langdon, and Fritta left as experienced players?

Rivers will be over 100 games by then at least. Sparrow too, but **** that guy.

We're going to be almost entirely bereft of senior talent, or any decent depth, and basically playing a team of kids and mediocre rejects from other teams in 18 months time.

Gawn, May, TMac, Tomo, Viney, Brown, Schache, Billings, Melksham and Hunter all in the retire or delist bucket sooner rather than later.

Brayshaw already gone and who knows what will happen with Oliver.

So we'll have Petracca, Salem, ANB, Langdon, and Fritta left as experienced players?

Rivers will be over 100 games by then at least. Sparrow too, but **** that guy.
Gawn, May and Viney are really the only three worth worrying about. The rest of those guys are depth or fringe but it's not going to help since there is basically nothing underneath them.

Very clear we need to do a lot of recruitment over the next couple of years mainly at the draft. Taking bargain bin senior players is a waste of time and gives us no long term value.

Also you forgot Lever in your second group.

Gawn, May and Viney are really the only three worth worrying about. The rest of those guys are depth or fringe but it's not going to help since there is basically nothing underneath them.

Very clear we need to do a lot of recruitment over the next couple of years mainly at the draft. Taking bargain bin senior players is a waste of time and gives us no long term value.

Also you forgot Lever in your second group.

Yeah, I think losing TMac and Tomo along with May is going to hurt though. If Petty leaves or continues to be shit we'll be without any KPDs whatsoever, let alone the desirable amount of 2 plus a depth/backup.

Agree there's no point taking bargain bin older players for the sake of it. We have to go to the draft for loong term stability, and that means a bigger drop off is likely coming.

Overall my point is that the cliff isn't just May and Gawn - it's the entire list profile in terms of age and experience. Regardless of how good or bad some of those players are, our lack of options at the selection table is already apparent this year. It's potentially going to be horrific in two years.

Edit: Apologies to Jake. Get back in the team soon ya prick.

Yeah, I think losing TMac and Tomo along with May is going to hurt though. If Petty leaves or continues to be shit we'll be without any KPDs whatsoever, let alone the desirable amount of 2 plus a depth/backup.

Agree there's no point taking bargain bin older players for the sake of it. We have to go to the draft for loong term stability, and that means a bigger drop off is likely coming.

Overall my point is that the cliff isn't just May and Gawn - it's the entire list profile in terms of age and experience. Regardless of how good or bad some of those players are, our lack of options at the selection table is already apparent this year. It's potentially going to be horrific in two years.

Edit: Apologies to Jake. Get back in the team soon ya prick.
Despite Tmac finding some form this year he was basically on the scrapheap with calls to pay out his contract over the off-season so at the moment I think he's really just a bonus this year. Our coaches ****ing hate Tomo and he's played less that ten games over the past couple of years. But yeah our depth is mostly old blokes so I agree there will be a hole there to fill. I just think it's an opportunity to fill it with youth who might actually turn into something.

I think if we spend the next two years really focusing on the draft it won't look that bad but our spine is definitely our biggest concern. We've gotta cross our fingers that Jed Adams turns into a half decent player also we have an opportunity to sure ourselves up by getting Josh Battle over without hurting our draft hand.

Worst thing we could do for our future is invest in more over-the-hill fringe players in a desperate attempt at a flag as we've done the past couple of years.

The good thing is this new builder on the job I’m working at also goes for the dees so we had a good long chat about how shithouse we are and how it’s all gone to crap, cathartic.

Yeah that window is welded shut now.

Thinking about it, if the best recruits we could bring in outside of the draft these past 3 seasons were blokes like Hunter and Billings (on the last day of trade period when no one else wanted them) while we were in our premiership window, we have absolutely no hope of luring anyone over now when we are in the decline.

Our only option really is to try hang on as a mid tier team and become the next North or strategically hit the draft hard to form a new core ahead of Tasmania joining the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is Our Flag Window Shut?

Back