• Splinters/Too early

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Have faith in our learnings

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 35 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking about it, if the best recruits we could bring in outside of the draft these past 3 seasons were blokes like Hunter and Billings (on the last day of trade period when no one else wanted them) while we were in our premiership window, we have absolutely no hope of luring anyone over now when we are in the decline.
I'd have thought it's harder to recruit elite talent when you are in a premiership window because you'd presumably already have players on large contracts.

Our premiership team had 3 All-Australians that we'd recruited from other clubs.

Goodwin would be perfect for a bottom team. Get beat by 50 points week in week out, tell everyone in the presser that we just need to do better at contest and convert some opportunities and we're not far away, talk about the fundamentals and DNA that we're working on. This is all 101 for coach of a struggling team.

It's doing it when you have a premiership list and keep losing by playing with a nuffy game plan for simpletons with no skills that is grating.

i disagree with this thread. i think you've got a number of A graders still.
based upon positional A graders fritsch, pickett, langdon, lever and rivers
then some superstars oliver, gawn and petracca.

it seems to me some of the other talent isn't up to it. however, if you manage to add 3- 5 players then that other talent is significantly better. more importantly your bottom 6 players. To me it reminds me of collingwood in 2021-2022.

this might surprise people but, the consensus amongst a lot of freo fans is that this is by far Fremantle's most talented list its ever had. 2013 has nothing on this list tbh.
  • Its rare a side has 3 super talented tall forwards in treacy, amiss and treacy. all of whom can be all australians.
  • a midfield of serong, sharp, young, brayshaw, fyfe, darcy all of whom are all australian talents. 2 or ever 3 of them have the talent to win a brownlow in brayshaw, serong and young
  • in the backline we have players such as pearce, cox, ryan, clark and chapman all of whom have the talent to make an all australian.
let alone very talented role players such as aish, switta, fredericks, simpson, omera and simpson.

it might just be you ran into a stacked side who decided to turn up. problem with freo is chances are they won't turn up next week.
Checking in on if you still think we arent shit and Freos list still has potentially 20 AA's on it.

Checking in on if you still think we arent shit and Freos list still has potentially 20 AA's on it.
In fairness the Dogs list has had 40 AAs since 2021.

Rory Lobb nearly hitting the 20 & 3 club yesterday, one possession short. We should give up a first for him imo.

Rory Lobb nearly hitting the 20 & 3 club yesterday, one possession short. We should give up a first for him imo.
Pretty funny that he went from Freo, only being able to play well against the Dogs to playing for the dogs and only being play well against Freo.

Perfect Ben Brown replacement.

Pretty funny that he went from Freo, only being able to play well against the Dogs to playing for the dogs and only being play well against Freo.

Perfect Ben Brown replacement.
Can already see Goody and Lamb thinking it thru: "we need players who play well against the all mighty Freo, we can't seem to win against them, we need a big name KPF, this makes too much sense, make the call"

I'd have thought it's harder to recruit elite talent when you are in a premiership window because you'd presumably already have players on large contracts.

Our premiership team had 3 All-Australians that we'd recruited from other clubs.
Tigers brought in Lynch. Hawks brought in several A grade talent in their window. Cats continually do it. We throw all our money at Oliver, Trac and Gus then think bringing in budget blokes like Schache, Billings, McAdam and Hunter is gonna get the job done. On the verge of a flag and in a premiership window should be easier to attract decent talent. We just haven't been able to do it. Between the coaching and list management, our premiership window was open for only a few short years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tigers brought in Lynch. Hawks brought in several A grade talent in their window. Cats continually do it. We throw all our money at Oliver, Trac and Gus then think bringing in budget blokes like Schache, Billings, McAdam and Hunter is gonna get the job done.
Free agency has always favoured the big clubs like Richmond, Pies, Carlton, Essendon etc. and always will.

Geelong are outliers in being able to attract country lads like Jezza etc, and of course alleged land deals their rich benefactors are able to offer.

FWIW I thought we were pretty close to "getting the job done" last year- bit of luck with injuries, or better yet- some smarter coaching, and I reckon we were there. Schache as unused sub, Grundy rotting in the seconds because Big Max Gawn Can't Share Ruck, I don't think only winning one flag is a failure of the list management team.

Free agency has always favoured the big clubs like Richmond, Pies, Carlton, Essendon etc. and always will.

Geelong are outliers in being able to attract country lads like Jezza etc, and of course alleged land deals their rich benefactors are able to offer.

FWIW I thought we were pretty close to "getting the job done" last year- bit of luck with injuries, or better yet- some smarter coaching, and I reckon we were there. Schache as unused sub, Grundy rotting in the seconds because Big Max Gawn Can't Share Ruck, I don't think only winning one flag is a failure of the list management team.
Reality is we were a good kick in the midfield and a smart forward away from winning it. We should have been able to attract one of each over the 3 years since the flag tbh. Not saure why we've completely ignored the midfield. It's where flags are won or lost and it was clear that we needed some pace and class in there, which could have unleashed Trac to the F50 more in 2022 and 2023. Instead we go after a 2nd ruckman who was clearly not a forward or a pacey mid with good foot skills.

Reality is we were a good kick in the midfield and a smart forward away from winning it. We should have been able to attract one of each over the 3 years since the flag tbh. Not saure why we've completely ignored the midfield. It's where flags are won or lost and it was clear that we needed some pace and class in there, which could have unleashed Trac to the F50 more in 2022 and 2023. Instead we go after a 2nd ruckman who was clearly not a forward or a pacey mid with good foot skills.
The above is not true, they tried to get Cerra and he was interested but couldn't get a trade done. It was in that Stan documentary about the player agents.

Just because something didn't happen doesn't mean they didn't try and do it.

potentially yes

reality no

Barack Obama Reality GIF by Obama

Tigers brought in Lynch. Hawks brought in several A grade talent in their window. Cats continually do it. We throw all our money at Oliver, Trac and Gus then think bringing in budget blokes like Schache, Billings, McAdam and Hunter is gonna get the job done. On the verge of a flag and in a premiership window should be easier to attract decent talent. We just haven't been able to do it. Between the coaching and list management, our premiership window was open for only a few short years.
People forget we brought in some pretty good players as well - Hibbo, May, Lever, Langdon. All instrumental in our flag year.

People forget we brought in some pretty good players as well - Hibbo, May, Lever, Langdon. All instrumental in our flag year.
Correct. But Tigers and Hawks won multiple flags due to trading in quality pieces after they'd won a flag, which resulted in winning more. We weren't able to. Our list gradually got worse every year instead of better.

Not sure if this is the correct thread but now our slim top-four chances are cooked, this is what I want from the rest of the year:

Play Petty in defence. If that means T Mac plays forward or is squeezed out, so be it.

Play Bowey half-forward instead of Billings/Laurie.

Play AMW as a small defender and see how he goes.

Play Fullarton as a forward/ruck and see how he goes.

Play Rivers as a permanent mid.

Give Sestan and Tholstrup a few games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Genuine question- what quality mids have started their careers in the backline?
Ed Richards at the doggies is killing it next to Bont and Libba, can't really think of many others.

Ed Richards at the doggies is killing it next to Bont and Libba, can't really think of many others.
Sheezel will. Daicos to a certain degree. They've played him across half back but are playing him more in the guts now. Will Day was played across half back and now plays predominantly midfield. McVee has the potential to be a star in the midfield. Doing a solid job down back, but surely he gets tried in the middle at some stage. Not sure on his tank, but he has all the attributes.

Sheezel, Daicos, Dawson, Day, Hayden Young, Laird (though debatable if he's 'quality') are a few recent examples that come to mind

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is Our Flag Window Shut?

Back