• Splinters/Too early

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • Have faith in our learnings

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 35 31.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question- what quality mids have started their careers in the backline?
Ed Richards at the doggies is killing it next to Bont and Libba, can't really think of many others.

Nick Daicos played mostly half back at the start of his career didn't he? Probably a bit different as he was always going to be a mid eventually, but they eased him into the AFL.

Not sure if this is the correct thread but now our slim top-four chances are cooked, this is what I want from the rest of the year:

Play Petty in defence. If that means T Mac plays forward or is squeezed out, so be it.

Play Bowey half-forward instead of Billings/Laurie.

Play AMW as a small defender and see how he goes.

Play Fullarton as a forward/ruck and see how he goes.

Play Rivers as a permanent mid.

Give Sestan and Tholstrup a few games.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Like it all. I probably wouldn't bother playing TMac forward though.
I reckon the footy department will be very nervous that Petty goes back and plays significantly worse than TMac has been playing down there. Petty's value is absolutely nothing if that happens.

Getting Bowey out of the backline has been my hobby horse for 2 years. Absolutely no reason for mine he shouldn't be able to spend time on a wing and half forward.

Play Petty in defence. If that means T Mac plays forward or is squeezed out, so be it.
I wouldn't play Petty back, as he's our best option to draw the tall backs away from JvR and the rest of our marking forwards.

Its our decision makers fault... or its stupid instructions from the coaches, to kick on Petty's head. petty has usually double or triple teamed, on most long kicks to him. '

I just re-watched the Saints game, and Petty had the Saints ruck pushing back into the drop zone, whilst another tall was a second jumper on Petty with an arm around his chest, and other arm swinging over the top of Petty taking his arms. Petty was sandwiched in tight.

There's no one who can take a mark like that, and is the reason why so many tall forwards are struggling over the past couple of seasons.

This is why we need to use the ball between the Arcs lowering eyes, utilising more 45* kicks, to get the ball into the corridor in good position... who can then move it on quickly to some runner in space within F50.

If the opposition tall defenders are grouped together on Petty, then good, don't kick it near them.
----------------------------------

TMc is in career best form as a backman, currently. Leave him there. when Lever comes back in try him forward for a game or half game, just to see. he thinks he's a clever dick; try him forward to see if he can organsie our forwards into better shapes.

We're not going to feature in 2024 finals in any sort of way, other than a swipe at an elimination game.

Play kids and experiment now, and in so doing, we will be better placed for this draft, and for the coming 2025 season.

Last edited:

Put some cash on us to miss the 8 when markets are out. Will get a good run for your money at the very least.
We opened at $4 when I said the above last October.

Still got this bad boy below alive for a 1k return, cmon GC, miss the finals like you always do.
Cheering for underperformance is the way to go. To miss the 8: Melbourne, GC, North, WCE = $4.61 That'll do me.

Last edited:
Thank ****. Might be lucky to get 5 games out of him.
I still have some faith in McAdam. Maybe thats just blind faith. Hes looked ok at times at Casey, but the concerning thing is his inability to get penetration on the ball. Maybe his body has just given up completely on him. But it's looking more like a bust isn't it. No doubt we'll get the preseason reports saying he's flying on the track.

I still have some faith in McAdam. Maybe thats just blind faith. Hes looked ok at times at Casey, but the concerning thing is his inability to get penetration on the ball. Maybe his body has just given up completely on him. But it's looking more like a bust isn't it. No doubt we'll get the preseason reports saying he's flying on the track.

Melksham being rushed back and actually playing well has really hurt him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think McAdam is a filler. Depth HFF.
Either Or to me as the 3rd marking medium.

I still value Melk above both Fritta and McAdam.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is Our Flag Window Shut?

Back