Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Think he is rated about right for what he does at the Hawks but underrated overall - because he would be better at another club where he would get more of the ball and more chance to assert himself and flourish as a player. The plethora of lucky bog average fringe bottom 6 role players such as Puopolo, Stratton, Shiels, Duryea etc would walk into and form a key part of most sides.

This is wildly overrating those named players. Stratton would be exposed without the help he gets.

His post was an exaggeration but on point. Not always the same posters but over the last few years at different times by different posters with different opinions ive heard close to 22 players get called overrated or not up to it.

Geelong players copped it for years on here. Each player was only made to look good by the quality players around him - yet they were all only made to look good etc.

The major drivers of this were often Hawks posters. Chewy (Back One Out) still goes on and on about it.

This is wildly overrating those named players. Stratton would be exposed without the help he gets.
Agreed if he was forced to play out of position. But a player with his tackling, marketing, spoiling and game sense would fit in nicely as 3rd tall everywhere. Actually would be a very nice fit at geelong.

His post was an exaggeration but on point. Not always the same posters but over the last few years at different times by different posters with different opinions ive heard close to 22 players get called overrated or not up to it.

Although ill concide most of those statements where made be certain geelong poster whos name starts with 'B'.

Edit: and also off course its only hawks posters saying it. Do you expect me to know all the collingwood players that have been called overrated by different posters? I know ive heard and help defend Cloke when people try to scape goat him beyond that I haven't taken much notice.

If you want to argue a point, stick to what a poster actually says instead of what 22 other posters say.

Agreed if he was forced to play out of position. But a player with his tackling, marketing, spoiling and game sense would fit in nicely as 3rd tall everywhere. Actually would be a very nice fit at geelong.

Yep - solid 3rd tall, in that weird spot where not big enough for key position, not really quick enough for the best small forwards.
Sorry what?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sounds like he feels his argument is being misrepresented by being confused with what other posters have said.

Yep - solid 3rd tall, in that weird spot where not big enough for key position, not really quick enough for the best small forwards.

Sounds like he feels his argument is being misrepresented by being confused with what other posters have said.
Yeah agreed I dont talk about Stratton that much if at all because I know im in the minority (sometimes feel alone in this minority) who didn't fall in love with the bloke when he got to club. When he arrived at hawthorn we had massive defensive issues having a block who could hold on to a mark was the second coming of jesus. Those rose colored glass may still be present today for many.

Yeah agreed these situations are created by being on top for to long if anyone can sympathize with each other its geelong and hawks people pitty it seems to be each side who sticks it to each other in the first place.

ahhhh I see, well I gave his post as much respect ad it deserves.

Easily quick enough for the smalls mate. Just ask the likes of Eddie Betts, Jamie Elliott, Walters, Josh Hill in the GF etc after the jobs he did on them this year. Or Danger in 2012.

Finished 4th & 6th in 2 out of our 3 premiership years in our B&F. But you're right just another player lucky to be surrounded by all these champions at Hawthorn right?

Last edited:
Easily quick enough for the smalls mate. Just ask the likes of Eddie Betts, Jamie Elliott, Walters, Josh Hill in the GF etc after the jobs he did on them this year. Or Danger in 2012.

Finished 4th & 6th in 2 out of our 3 premiership years in our B&F. But your right just another player lucky to be surrounded by all these champions at Hawthorn right?
Always wondered why Nick Smith is rated so much higher when he can only play on smalls and Stratton's record is just as good but has the added feathers in his cap of being able to play on all heights and take contested and intercept marks in defense.

Probably biased but Stratton to me offers the same as N.Smith plus more and has for years.

(And just for the record I do rate Smith highly)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not saying he is elite but he has done a fantastic job on the small forwards this year. That comment is not very well thought out.

Dude it is a team game, most players would be exposed without help from their team mates.

He plays a role and does it consistently in a team that is one of the greatest ever. Personally, Im happy with what he brings to the table. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
It's like feeding time at the zoo here.

When you post goading comments that are not terribly well thought out, people are going to respond.

I get that winding up Hawks fans appears to be your MO and you're probably just killing time in the off season. And that's cool. But you cant really go bragging about it, there are a truckload of Hawks fans on this site and for obvious reasons they are up and about at the moment. When there are that many who are active, its pretty good odds you're going to hit some sensitive ones.

It isn't really original, clever or very difficult.

Why not try winding up GWS fans if you're bored, at least that would be a challenge...

Im not saying he is elite but he has done a fantastic job on the small forwards this year. That comment is not very well thought out.

Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, rate his effort, workrate and has great footy smarts. And there's plenty of 3rd tall types of his type who are great players.

Of course you would be happy with his output.

Just don't think he would walk into any other side and be a key player, as was stated by someone.

And Duryea? Really?

Don't get me wrong, he's a good player, rate his effort, workrate and has great footy smarts. And there's plenty of 3rd tall types of his type who are great players.

Of course you would be happy with his output.

Just don't think he would walk into any other side and be a key player, as was stated by someone.

And Duryea? Really?
Depends on what we all define as "key player" in that context. The players named aren't the type you'd build a side around. They are however the type that if you had them they would play every week and their role would be a key component to winning a game (eg. Puopolo's forward pressure causing forward 50 turnovers, Stratton shutting down opposition small forward, etc.).

Depends on what we all define as "key player" in that context. The players named aren't the type you'd build a side around. They are however the type that if you had them they would play every week and their role would be a key component to winning a game (eg. Puopolo's forward pressure causing forward 50 turnovers, Stratton shutting down opposition small forward, etc.).

So every Hawthorn player would be a key player in another side?

I reckon this is the key difference between what a lot of Hawk fans and others are seeing.

Puopolo and Stratton to me are classic role players doing a good job in a great team. Their role is a key component of the sides success but the player themselves isn't key to that role. As the name implies a role player is something any number of players could take on and perform successfuly in a successful team surrounded buy better players.

At Collingwood a few years ago when we won flags and had many top 4 finishes Nick Maxwell and Jarryd Blair performed very similar roles to Puopolo and Stratton. The role is important but the individual player isn't. That's very different to what Mitchell, Hodge, Rioli etc bring.

All teams have role players from top to bottom.

Main difference between top and bottom is either the top teams stars are much better then everyone else or the top teams role players are of much higher quality then everyone else.

All teams have role players from top to bottom.

Main difference between top and bottom is either the top teams stars are much better then everyone else or the top teams role players are of much higher quality then everyone else.

I think the bolded is almost always the difference. I have no doubt with the Hawks it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back