Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt most of them would be able to perform similar roles at most other clubs - but imo Puopolo is not going to be a 'key player' anywhere.

Don't think there'd be a spot for him at the Crows, to use one of your examples. Might force Cameron out today, but not for long.

~*off-season*~
Listening to some Adelaide supporters, they'd welcome Puopolo with open arms to replace Van Berlo or Mackay.

Personally I think Puopolo does his job well, and is a fairly unique player. Could be compared to many other small forwards in the competition in many aspects, but where he differs from most is his tackling and defensive pressure. Very similar to Cyril Rioli. Most small forwards have a "see ball kick goal" mentality, I think Puopolo has a "see ball help team, then maybe kick goal" mentality.

That being said, it's impossible to say how he'd perform in another side without the compounded pressure of Cyril Rioli and Luke Breust snapping at his heels. It's just one of those arguments, isn't it?

I would say he is very similar to Jarryd Blair at Collingwood. Identical role, very similar stats, similar size, similar no of games.

I would say he is very similar to Jarryd Blair at Collingwood. Identical role, very similar stats, similar size, similar no of games.
I would be stunned if most people would pick Blair over Puopolo. Puopolo's pace is the deciding factor here for me compared to Blair.

Yes the stats are similar, but Puopolo spends more time inside 50. I'd rather his goal tally (50% more than Blair in a much more talented forward line where statistically he gets a very low # of inside 50's directed at him) and tackles over the minor advantage Blair has in total possessions.

Where he really stands out as a forward is his ability to rarely hit the scoreboard.

Same # of goals as your key forward #1 draft pick captain this year. Good enough to be equal 2nd on your team list for goals scored. Nice try though troll.

I would be stunned if most people would pick Blair over Puopolo. Puopolo's pace is the deciding factor here for me compared to Blair.

Yes the stats are similar, but Puopolo spends more time inside 50. I'd rather his goal tally (50% more than Blair in a much more talented forward line where statistically he gets a very low # of inside 50's directed at him) and tackles over the minor advantage Blair has in total possessions.

I would be surprised if people picked Blair over Puopolo also. It wasn't what i said though I just said they were very similar. Though part of the reason people would pick Puopolo is the kudos a player gets by playing in a successful team which is what a lot of this thread is about.

Blair and Puopolo also make a statistically interesting comparison. Blair spends all his time in the forward 50 also, rarely goes to the midfield. I think you have cherry picked the goals /game stat a little by using only 2015 which is Puopolos best ever season goal wise. It would be fairer to compare them over their career where Puopolo is 0.9 g/g and Blair is 0.8 g/g. Very little difference.

You also qualified Puopolos goal total by saying he suffered by being in a talented forward line where little of the forward 50 input was directed to him. That's exactly what happens for Blair also. Career wise they are both usually about 4th-5th on the teams goalkicking, play the defensive role and have little attacking ball directed to themselves. Puopolo has no disadvantage over Blair in that area.

If anything I would counter by saying because by and large Puopolos career has been spent in a much superior team, where there is a lot more forward 50 entries overall he has more opportunity to kick goals so Blair could be said to be the better goal kicker of the two if those factors were considered. Even more so if you consider the lesser pressure Hawks forwards have applied because their mids dominate so much opposition backs are so often under siege. So Puopolo has the advantage of more and better quality forward 50 entries coming to him compared to Blair I reckon

When you examine it a bit more closely there isnt much difference between the 2 which really illustrates a lot of the points made in this thread.

I think you have cherry picked the goals /game stat a little by using only 2015 which is Puopolos best ever season goal wise. It would be fairer to compare them over their career where Puopolo is 0.9 g/g and Blair is 0.8 g/g. Very little difference.
Puopolo spent a lot of time in the backline early in his career so using g/g over his career doesn't reflect his current output up forward.

Puopolo spent a lot of time in the backline early in his career so using g/g over his career doesn't reflect his current output up forward.
Alright take out Puopolos 1st season where you say he was down back a bit. Means he is just under a goal a game so still not much difference. Point being is you may want to play with the figures and bend them to your argument but truth is there is little between Blair and Puopolo when it comes to their proficiency in kicking goals. Neither has it as a strong point and neithers role is designed around being a top end goal kicking forward. They dont have that capability.

He's a player that the supporters of the club he plays for love and opposition supporters will be mostly meh about.

Perfect coach's award candidate IMO. Sacrifices own game to make team better, never giving up and been able to get the most out of himself.

Is he replaceable? Definitely, but plays his role to perfection and very effectively so supporters probably rate him a bit higher than warranted, but IMO would at least walk into most teams best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Puopolo was playing for Carlton or Melbourne, there is every chance he would be scapegoated by their fans and labelled as hack with limited skills who will "never be part of a premiership side". His presence on their list would be used a evidence that we have "too many teams" and there just "isn't enough talent to go around". But in the right environment, he has been able to get the very best of out of himself and become a valuable contributor to THREE premiership teams.

2013 - 11th in the B&F (Hawks used 33 players)
2014 - _9th in the B&F (of 34 players)
2015 - 15th in the B&F (of 33 players)

Poppy is one of the hardest workers and most team-oriented, disciplined players on Hawthorn's list. He never gives up; he chases, tackles, bores in courageously, wins the hard ball, often breaks the game open with a burst of speed, kicks goals, sets up goals, never takes a backwards step and always one of the first to fly the flag for a teammate.

He is one of my favourites. I don't really care how he is rate by anyone else. I wish we had 2 or 3 more like him.

Last edited:
If Puopolo was playing for Carlton or Melbourne, there is every chance he would be scapegoated by their fans and labelled as hack with limited skills who will "never be part of a premiership side". His presence on their list would be used a evidence that we have "too many teams" and there just "isn't enough talent to go around". But in the right environment, he has been able to get the very best of out of himself and become a valuable contributor to THREE premiership teams.

Poppy is one of the hardest workers and most team-oriented, disciplined players on Hawthorn's list. He never gives up; he chases, tackles, bores in courageously, wins the hard ball, often breaks the game open with a burst of speed, kicks goals, sets up goals, never takes a backwards step and always one of the first to fly the flag for a teammate.

He is one of my favourites. I don't really care how he is rate by anyone else. I wish we had 2 or 3 more like him.

If you had 2 or 3 more of him you wouldn't even be in the 8

Great post

possibly the worst triple premiership player in history
LOL @ st kilda. Not even a triple premiership team. Poissibly the worst premiership team in history.

There are 22 players who wear brown and gold who wouldn't get a game anywhere else because they are not good enough to play for St Kilda, Lions etc. It just happens that all 22 are lucky enough to be alongside 21 other players who make them look good. He plays footy, plays in premiership sides, wins premierships, wears medallions (3 of them) hold cups really well.

Better, it turns out than any st kilda player in history. He has won more premierships in his career than any other entire club.

Quicker to answer question would be: who from Hawthorn isnt shit?

I think Rough and Smith are the only 2.

Or so BF would have me believe.

I like how its only Hawks supporters saying this...

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back