Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

All the talk was about Cyril and Eddie. Eddie and Cyril. Betts and Rioli. Rioli and Betts.

Then Poppy quietly puts in one of the most dominant games by a small forward in years.

It would have been quiet if not for Bruce screaming and moaning when he got the ball.

As I said I don't like him and I don't rate him very highly but he was brilliant last night.

His set shot kicking is up there with the best in the league, has incredible balance, strength and explosive pace, has been in the top couple of small forwards for the last few years.

He is a good player who has worked very hard, is very fit and gets the best out of himself each week. The fact he is looking like one of their better players these days, well...

Not underrated. Adelaide had no one competent to play on him last night. If you re-watch the games he just played against West Coast and Western Bulldogs you'll see him get dominated and kept scoreless and had little impact. He's a good player who had a stand out game.

Puopolo was a handy player who played a role that's relatively hard to fill well.
Since then though he has slowly developed past some of his peers.

I no longer feel uneasy grouping him with the 2nd tier small fwds under the Rioli, betts and wingard's.

All the talk was about Cyril and Eddie. Eddie and Cyril. Betts and Rioli. Rioli and Betts.

Then Poppy quietly puts in one of the most dominant games by a small forward in years.

That really annoyed me. Cyril and Eddie getting all the love while Poppy was the one doing all the work. It was so fitting that he Poppy kicked the winning goal. It only took all game for them to notice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, agreed-very good game last night-so how good do you think he is?

I honestly thought he would be one of the ones who would be under the gun this year. When Clarko said he didnt want big trades and wanted the kids to step up, I thought Poppy's would be one of the spots which could be taken. Of course Roughie going down for half a year opened a spot up...

But so far this year he has been brilliant. 17 contested possessions and 5 goals is just huge. And to slot the goal perfecty at the end really shows the strength of character.

Very good player and a ripping lad, can't stand the Hawks but have always kept an eye on his progress.
Not bad for a guy who was told multiple times he wouldn't make it

He comes across as a real level headed and grounded guy, you can't not like players with that kinder of personality and attitude. It reflects in the way he plays I think.

I just have a small question for anyone that does not barrack for hawthorn. What is your opinion on paul puopolo?

Many people i have met say puopolo does no where near enough as he should do on the field. Much like rioli (apparently). Some have even said he isn't in the best 22 at hawthorn. The idea of this question came to me when i watched a highlights reel for his 2015 season and it was outstanding. So feel free to discuss

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2015-11-02/season-review-paul-puopolo
Under rated???? NOT FOR ME , he is a champion and deadly , and we are lucky we have him, also he is SO in the first 22, even asking is amazing, who has made stupid statements like this. Perhaps someone like the mongrels on Facebook who have kicked Hill in the head today. Poppy is great.

Hilly had a bad night first up.

We were looking everywhere for a defensive small forward until Puopolo proved himself there. Almost the perfect player for the role he plays. Would get a game at every club but isn't a star by any means.
Oh he's a star alright. Its not just having a night out that makes him that. Its his persistence and 1 percenters that make him a Hawthorn star. Never doubt it if he hasn't touched the ball he's doing something else. Cyril like, you must look at every aspect of the game , there is so much that some people miss, footy is not just kick and handball.

It would have been quiet if not for Bruce screaming and moaning when he got the ball.

As I said I don't like him and I don't rate him very highly but he was brilliant last night.
Yeah but you barrack for Geelong , what else would you say, Like me and Selwood, I hate him , but he's a champ, almost not worth commenting on?

Puopolo was a handy player who played a role that's relatively hard to fill well.
Since then though he has slowly developed past some of his peers.

I no longer feel uneasy grouping him with the 2nd tier small fwds under the Rioli, betts and wingard's.
He is well and truly in the "best" list mate, without a doubt and his never give up is all Hawthorn!!! I love him, if he ever got traded like some have talked about , I'd be questioning the clubs brains, but he hasn't /wasn't and thank heaven for that!

Has kicked 'clutch' goals over the journey, but never as many as this.

what made it better a lot of his work was at the Puopolo end and gold, silver members got a real good view. I think the other end is the Rioli end

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Puopolo underrated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back