Is the season too long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mostfamousclub_Pies

Club Legend
Sep 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Before the Swans moved to Sydney, all 22 rounds were played in Victoria. Not only that, all apart from one game, every other week was played in Melbourne. Geelong was as far as any team had to travel. Every team played each other twice, it was ultimately a very fair competition. Collingwood even went down to Geelong.
With 18 clubs, coming from 5 different states, playing 23 games each, the model has changed substantially. Travel is taxing, there is no getting around that. With the inclusion of Gather Round, there’s even more. Teams are consistently displaying form slumps throughout the season.
Teams should play each other only once in my opinion. I think the AFL are aiming for this, but until they introduce more teams we will continue to see an uneven draw at a time where it is obviously becoming an extremely even and unpredictable competition.

Teams are consistently displaying form slumps throughout the season.

Form slumps add a dimension to the game.

I think it’s hilarious that Carlton fans were booking their Grand Final tickets early season, and now they’re out of the 8.

Ditto that supporters of the No. 2 team on the ladder were booing their coach a few months ago. (Maybe they still are?)

Happy for seasons to go even longer. The only question is whether players’ minds and bodies are up to it, in which case a possible remedy might be to limit the number of games a player can play in (and adjust the list size accordingly). It’d add an extra dimension.

I think if we get to a point where we play each team once so 19 inclusion Tassie (rotating playing them at Home and Away such that over a 4 year basis we play at either evenly) + have 1 to 3 double ups against teams based on the previous year's positions that'd be about as fair as we could get.

The double ups are the main source of inequality to me in a fixture, following by constantly playing away vs a certain club (looking at you Sydney, playing at the SCG for 12 years straight has to be one of the most bizarre fixture stuff ups in all of professional sport period).

Nothing to.do with travel which I reckon is overhyped and AFL in general whines too much about.
But yes. For a combatative sport and a competition season yep it is too long. And starts way too early. (I'd finish mid october).
I'd just have 22 rounds + 4 week finals. No opening gathering bye rounds etc. Extend the lists out. 17 teams (23 rounds than to cater for byes)
Bring Tassie in and get rid of GC and GWS.

I think if we get to a point where we play each team once so 19 inclusion Tassie (rotating playing them at Home and Away such that over a 4 year basis we play at either evenly) + have 1 to 3 double ups against teams based on the previous year's positions that'd be about as fair as we could get.

The double ups are the main source of inequality to me in a fixture, following by constantly playing away vs a certain club (looking at you Sydney, playing at the SCG for 12 years straight has to be one of the most bizarre fixture stuff ups in all of professional sport period).
I think that was an agreement after the ‘King Kong’ gaffe by Eddie.

Season isn’t long enough for mine, we should go back to 16 teams with bigger list sizes and play every team twice. A home and away game against every team will ensure the draw is completely fair.
I somewhat agree. We would need 8 on the bench to combat such a long season. 100 interchanges per game.
It's a taxing game and at the same time it's not a fair competition.
Every team needs to play the opposition twice.
Premier League Football does just this.

I think the games are too long.

And the faster modern game style is very physically taxing.

Shorten the quarters by 5 minutes each, expand the size of benches, and get rid of the sub. Not sure about capping rotations - maybe remove this too?

Would give the coaches more flexibility during games, and help players who need more rest time. Might help Reef, for example. And help with recovery.

I think the games are too long.

And the faster modern game style is very physically taxing.

Shorten the quarters by 5 minutes each, expand the size of benches, and get rid of the sub. Not sure about capping rotations - maybe remove this too?

Would give the coaches more flexibility during games, and help players who need more rest time. Might help Reef, for example.
If the Sudney, Gold Coast and Freo games were 5 mins shorter we would be in the 8. So I’m with you sometimes. But not always e.g. Carlton and Adelaide games.

If the Sudney, Gold Coast and Freo games were 5 mins shorter we would be in the 8. So I’m with you sometimes. But not always e.g. Carlton and Adelaide games.

Yeah, I didn’t have specific games in mind ha ha.

More the physical toll on footballers. Might extend some of their careers too.

On this, a friend who moved here from England became fascinated with AFL, and how ‘hard’ we made it. He was surprised at the size of the playing fields, the length of the games and the season, and the physicality of it all. Quite reasonably he asked - why? What is it about Australia’s most popular home-grown sport that we’ve made it so hard and taxing to play?

And that doesn’t cover his utter confusion about the rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is the season too long?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back