Opinion Is the Showdown the Biggest Rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

More Crows than Power stars? Our ultimate Showdown best 23

Can anyone who has a subscription post the team they made up?

It seems like a fun exercise which is sure to make both team's fans claw at each other's throats.

Heres my go at it

FBBergmanMurrayMichalaney
HBHoustonAliirFarrell
CDrewWinesButters
HFRozeeFogartyRankine
FFRioliThilthorpeGeorgiades
FolO'BrienJHFDawson
RacheleKeaysLairdBZT

Port: 12
Crows: 10
  • Adelaide have the highest forward line quality, with 5 forwards included.
  • Port's mids/defenders generally beat their counterparts in the rest of the field.
  • None of the positions are that concrete and could all be subjected to change.
  • Wing is not really a strong area for either team so I'd just push out the next best midfielders to the wings.
  • Last player picked is BZT as a tall defender who could really be any of the remaining defenders.
  • Ruck is not a strong position either so I'd just go Obrien over Sweet for consistency
That's a strong team. Destined for a straight sets exit or worse.

It's definitely the biggest rivalry in the AFL. There's bad blood from the inception of the Crows onwards.
There's alot of SANFL history that goes down deep. I remember in a game between Port and Centrals back in the 80s or 90s, a group of Centrals supporters were walking up and down the ground with dead magpies impaled on stakes.
There is the Crows players plssing on the section of Alberton turf that got transplanted onto football Park.
There is the rumble at the Ramsgate, where Roo knocked out a half a dozen Powet players, incl Carr and Cornes.
There's Michaelangelo Rucci with Bryce Gibbs.
I could go on.
Ricky Whittle Seriously GIF by American Gods

Do people think the Showdown has fizzed out in recent years?
I remember when Port would get up for Showdowns under Primus, despite being a terrible side.
These days, it seems like Port prefer to treat a Showdown as just another home and away game.

But I thought Ken was a master coach and we were so lucky to have him.

How could he be outcoached by a coach that’s never made finals and for the best part, been a bottom 4 coach when he’s such a brilliant coach?
Hinkley has had Port in finals contention for 12/12 years he's been at the helm.

Over the same time,
  • Longmire has had Sydney in finals contention 10/12 years.
  • Beveridge has had the Bulldogs in finals contention 9/10 years.
  • Nicks has had Adelaide in finals contention 1/5 years.
  • Longmuir has had Fremantle in finals contention 2/5 years.

Hinkley has had Port in finals contention for 12/12 years he's been at the helm.

Over the same time,
  • Longmire has had Sydney in finals contention 10/12 years.
  • Beveridge has had the Bulldogs in finals contention 9/10 years.
  • Nicks has had Adelaide in finals contention 1/5 years.
  • Longmuir has had Fremantle in finals contention 2/5 years.

Nice attempt at deflection while throwing in a whole bunch of random words and that carry no meaning or significance.

I remember when Port would get up for Showdowns under Primus, despite being a terrible side.
These days, it seems like Port prefer to treat a Showdown as just another home and away game.
If Port treat us like just another home and away game, with them being flat track bullies, we'd have lost the last 8 showdowns to them by 15 goals right??

No.

Adelaide are doing a pretty good job of derailing Port Adelaide seasons in showdowns. I imagine they would be treating a victory today like winning a final given what's at stake and their recent history vs the Crows.

I was actually thinking about this last week.

Big 4 rivalries suck. In my lifetime none of the teams have been good at the same time so these games are mostly a myth to me, though the manufactured ANZAC day clash gives them a bit of life.

Hawthorn v Geelong is the best contender but relies far too much on on-field exploits for it to be a long lasting rivalry, compared to the SA rivalry which is usually great on field and is steeped in politics and history.
Do you think the Showdown is a bigger rivalry than the Western Derby?
I can't remember the last time a Derby was broadcast nationally on free to air in prime time.

Do you think the Showdown is a bigger rivalry than the Western Derby?
I can't remember the last time a Derby was broadcast nationally on free to air in prime time.
Sorry man but you've replied to a post I made 8 years ago. I actually don't care about football any more, I have moved on to grown up pursuits such as Mozart, Hegel, Ultimate Frisbee etc

Port Adelaide treat the Showdown like a final so naturally Ken Hinkley can't get the job done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice attempt at deflection while throwing in a whole bunch of random words and that carry no meaning or significance.
What did you think of Hinkley's coaching tonight?
He did well to outcoach Nicks, it showed that he has learned and adapted after having his pants pulled down by Nicks in the previous three encounters.

Biglands trying to iron Pickett out and coming off second best.
I still remember it like it was yesterday.
Showdown 47: Jordan Gallucci concussed
www.afc.com.au

Match Report: Round 16

Port Adelaide wins Showdown 47 after third-quarter blitz
www.afc.com.au
www.afc.com.au

Showdown 48: Jake Kelly concussed
www.foxsports.com.au

Port just recorded its biggest ever Showdown win. The Crows? They were a ‘rabble’

Port just recorded its biggest ever Showdown win. The Crows? They were a ‘rabble’
www.foxsports.com.au
www.foxsports.com.au

Showdown 49: Ned McHenry concussed
www.afc.com.au

Injury Update: Showdown 49

An update on McHenry, Murphy and Thilthorpe
www.afc.com.au
www.afc.com.au

Showdown 50: Brodie Smith and Will Hamill concussed
www.afc.com.au

Match Report: Port claims Showdown 50

Adelaide suffered a 4-point loss in Showdown 50
www.afc.com.au
www.afc.com.au

Showdown 51-55: No concussions! Well done on not concussing any of our players Port.

Showdown pre-season this year: Mark Keane concussed
Showdown 56: Isaac Rankine concussed

Just unlucky I guess

Yep Crows are the thugs and thats without mentioning Hentschel

What did you think of Hinkley's coaching tonight?
He did well to outcoach Nicks, it showed that he has learned and adapted after having his pants pulled down by Nicks in the previous three encounters.
There was nothing strategic tonight. The game was played like wet weather football. It came down to who wanted it the most.

www.afc.com.au

www.afc.com.au
www.afc.com.au

www.foxsports.com.au

www.foxsports.com.au
www.foxsports.com.au

www.afc.com.au

www.afc.com.au
www.afc.com.au

www.afc.com.au

www.afc.com.au
www.afc.com.au

Showdown 51-55: No concussions! Well done on not concussing any of our players Port.

Just unlucky I guess

Reading this post and checking off Port Adelaide dubs. So many dubs. Thank you for reminding me of the good times when we did you in cheers brother 👍👍

www.afc.com.au

www.afc.com.au
www.afc.com.au

www.foxsports.com.au

www.foxsports.com.au
www.foxsports.com.au

www.afc.com.au

www.afc.com.au
www.afc.com.au

www.afc.com.au

www.afc.com.au
www.afc.com.au

Just unlucky I guess

Actually cringed.

Good detective work though. Enjoy the loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is the Showdown the Biggest Rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back