Opinion Is the Showdown the Biggest Rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

To help Victorians understand the situation, imagine the AFL decided tomorrow that they would revamp the AFL so each state had just two clubs, and in Victoria those clubs would be Collingwood and a "state team".

Imagine being at one of those games.

Imagine Collingwood coming out and winning their first clash and then the state team winning the first premiership and labeling Collingwood as the little brother in Victoria.

How would that go down with Eddie :)

You mean to say non-Victorian teams.

Fair enough to have that opinion.

For the record, was the 1999 prelim the last big game that Carlton showed up in?

We showed up in the final in WA when Walker should have got a free kick near the end of the game to give us a chance of winning.

We showed up last year to beat Richmond.

I'd like to know how many times the underdog has won a showdown. Seems to have happened many times since 1997.

Port wern't the underdog in the first game. Adelaide was ravaged from injury, Port had everything to prove against a club that had 3 horror seasons.How far port got in front in the 3rd quarter was a suprise.

Yep. Biggest, most hate filled rivalry in the game.
Its not hate, to many people throwing this word around who don't understand SA football. They've learnt from Victorians , Victorian jealous of what the SANFL achieved. The rivalry is passion for SA footy and spiritual. South australiia consistently produces the best musicians,the best prime ministers, the best cricket captains, the best footballers...

To help Victorians understand the situation, imagine the AFL decided tomorrow that they would revamp the AFL so each state had just two clubs, and in Victoria those clubs would be Collingwood and a "state team".

Imagine being at one of those games.

Imagine Collingwood coming out and winning their first clash and then the state team winning the first premiership and labeling Collingwood as the little brother in Victoria.

How would that go down with Eddie :)

Nicely put, but you left a few things out. You actualy would win shit in the SANFL, Collingwood hardly ever has since the 50's. There our little brother as well as yours.;)

Nobody. I just don't care about interstate teams or their fans. They are nothing to me or my club, we have no rivalries or worthwhile history with any of them.

Just pipe down in the cheap seats and keep sending those players our way :thumbsu:

Lol he interviewed Neil Balme on 'On the Couch' and the word "Norwood" or "SANFL" wasn't mentioned once.

Mal Brown is a giant of the game. Was instrumental in the promotion of Aboriginal players when the vics were still wearing white pointy hats, instrumental in bringing in the interchange and the 50m arc, a giant of interstate games, coached Stephen Michael over many seasons..... amazing stories about the modern game. Not to mention the anecdotes on and off the field.....

Mike's interview was a bizarre, Monty Python like abstract where he focused only on the half season Brown played in the VFL.

Mal Brown is a giant of the game. Was instrumental in the promotion of Aboriginal players when the vics were still wearing white pointy hats, instrumental in bringing in the interchange and the 50m arc, a giant of interstate games, coached Stephen Michael over many seasons..... amazing stories about the modern game. Not to mention the anecdotes on and off the field.....

Mike's interview was a bizarre, Monty Python like abstract where he focused only on the half season Brown played in the VFL.
He really should've done 2. One for Vic fans, one for WA fans.

Back on topic though, if WA can get it's act together and build this new stadium already and if it can be half as amazing as AO that would be really great.

You can sense atmosphere at the 'derby' but it's not nearly the same as the Showdown now it's at AO.

Sorry went along to the last few Geelong-Hawthorn matches with the in laws and while its close and quality the fans aren't all that loud and passionate about it all. I put that down to the relative tameness of Geelong fans on the whole, go down to Kardinia Park and it's the most dull environment you will ever find yourself in.
Growing up in SA in a Crows town I know first-hand the Showdown has always been the most passionate, while an Essendon fan first I have never missed watching a showdown. Most people in SA not supporting SA teams are both fond of the Crows and Port as fellow South Australians yet also hold a touch of disdain towards them, Port for their obvious feral factor, and Crows for their pompous attitude and belief they possess the god-given authority over all things footy in the state. That being said while working at the MCG for a few years Crows fans were by far the kindest as were Port, Freo and West Coast fans...the worst being Hawthorn, Carlton and Richmond.

My Game of Thrones analogy. (probably belongs in bay 13 but I will try my luck)

Port Adelaide = House Baeratheon.

Rightful heir to the throne (1990 AFL attempt),

Small group, not well supported (Pre 2013).

On the rise with ambition and talent.

Crows = House Lannister

Financially well off,

Known for incest between family members (SANFL Composite Team),

Known for deceit and cover up (Tippetgate).

As you can see both teams don't like each other much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows = House Lannister

Financially well off,

how come we beat you then?

All these people saying it was a great game?
I thought it was pretty lacklustre. We played poorly and let them do what they want too easily.
Maybe I was just looking too much from a Port point of view.

I thought it was pretty lacklustre. We played poorly and let them do what they want too easily.
You guys certainly weren't at your best especially as the game went on. Adelaide were fantastic with their approach to the game. Overall I'd say it a very good game, but not great. A very good game on the big stage though makes it pretty noteworthy but yes purely from a footy perspective not quite a great game.

He really should've done 2. One for Vic fans, one for WA fans.

Back on topic though, if WA can get it's act together and build this new stadium already and if it can be half as amazing as AO that would be really great.

You can sense atmosphere at the 'derby' but it's not nearly the same as the Showdown now it's at AO.

He could easily have done a single national show.

The main difference between the Showdown and Derby is that it feels as if the fans in the derby almost try and play it down, I mean it's still a strong rivalry but we kind of see it as an insult to the opposition when we act as if it's no bigger than a normal game.

Traditionally it's been West Coast playing it down saying it's our Grand Final and that we have no flags so we're not relevant to them. But lately since we've started winning a majority of the derbies some of our fans have adopted the same attitude, like winning a derby is no big deal.

I haven't really noticed this with the Showdown, both sets of fans seem to really hype it up and make no secret of the fact that beating each other is a massive deal.

The main difference between the Showdown and Derby is that it feels as if the fans in the derby almost try and play it down, I mean it's still a strong rivalry but we kind of see it as an insult to the opposition when we act as if it's no bigger than a normal game.

Traditionally it's been West Coast playing it down saying it's our Grand Final and that we have no flags so we're not relevant to them. But lately since we've started winning a majority of the derbies some of our fans have adopted the same attitude, like winning a derby is no big deal.

I haven't really noticed this with the Showdown, both sets of fans seem to really hype it up and make no secret of the fact that beating each other is a massive deal.
The difference between SA and WA comes down to the Magpies factor plain and simple. While I'm a touch too young to know it personally, I just think to myself what would happen in Centrals were to get their own AFL team, I would not support them in a million years. For those with a bit more experience I would say the same applies x100 for the Magpies.

Derby atmosphere has been on a decline for the last few years. It seems that one team is expected to win every time and they normally do. Even during the mid to late 2000's , we've been winning when we weren't expected to. It's taken a bit of the fire out of it.

There was more atmosphere and animosity at the WAFL Grand Final last year between West Perth and East Perth and there was only about 20,000 there. It was a shitty day too. On a fine day there could have been 25,000 to 30,000.

Crows = House Lannister

Financially well off,

You clearly don't know much about A Song of Ice and Fire. The Targaryens are the rightful heirs to the thrones. They were the ones that conquered the kingdoms, united them under their rule and built the Iron Throne and the Red Keep. That's why Danny is trying to get the throne back. It was her family's rightful place for a long, long time. But their bloodline spoiled, they went mad, and the Starks and the Baeratheons rose up against them and destroyed the Targaryens. It's only now that the Targaryens are starting to sort their shit out with 2 main character heirs still surviving and rising in power.

So I would say that Port Adelaide are the Targaryens. Old and historically powerful. And obsessed with past glories. But they went mad (lying and breaking their word to the SANFL and trying to sneak themselves into the AFL in 1990) and so a rebellion was raised against them, an alliance was formed to reign in their place. That would make the Crows the men of the north, which would make sense as the men of the Nights Watch are called "crows".

I don't see how you can claim that Port are the "Rightful heir to the throne (1990 AFL attempt)". In 1990 the SANFL brought all the clubs together and got them to agree that no SANFL team would join the AFL until at least 1993. Port, along with every other club promised they would not join the AFL for 3 years. But then Port lied and went back on their word, and made a secret deal with the AFL to try and sneak themselves into the AFL. As Port had betrayed the SANFL the SANFL took legal action against them, rightfully got their attempt stopped and formed a composite team instead.

Also, the Baeratheons are not on the rise. They are on the decline. They only held the throne for a short time, and now a Lannister sits on the throne.

You could say the same about the first showdown this year. Port Power played well, but the Crows had key players out with injury and played poorly. But in the end we shouldn't make excuses. Both were good matches. It's always hard to admit that when you lose, but the showdowns have delivered this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is the Showdown the Biggest Rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back