Opinion Is the Showdown the Biggest Rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

It was an unlucky, slightly high bump that 5 years ago would have barely raised an eyebrow and 2 years ago would be 1-2 weeks even if you include the port tax. Nowadays probably 3-4 but a football act with an unfortunate outcome

Stop trying to spin it like he was "lined up" and it was a "dog act" because it wasn't
It was an illegal act that knocked out one of the Crows best players, and changed the outcome of the game.
He will get 4-6

Rankine's bump on Brandon Starcevich was closer to a dog act it was off the ball.

The showdown is the biggest rivalry outside of victoria but when compared to other rivalries in Victoria it is outclassed. In my opinion when you judge the best rivalry you look at iconic moments, games, and attendance. I do think the showdown has bits from all those elements but they aren't as ancient and remembered as moments from a:
Carlton vs Collingwood
Hawthorn vs Essendon
Hawthorn vs Geelong
Collingwood Vs Essendon
just too name a few rivalries, these rivalries all possess iconic moments and significance like:
Mcgovern missing after the siren
line in the sand game in 2004
1989 Grand final
kennett curse broken in 2013
carlton out of the finals in the final round in 2022
zarharakis winning goal in 2009 anzac day
Blair in 2012 anzac day
2008 grand final
80s Hawthorn and essendon brawls

Geez this thread has decended into what appears to be grown men arguing like school girls. What a world we live in.
This is an exact snapshot of the kind of cheap barbs thrown around in the stands that lead to the tensions that ignite when an on ground incident occurs.

Like I said before, everyone adds their fuel and when it blows up they stand in amazement pointing fingers in every direction.
Rinse, rrepeat.

The AFL/Vic media must love showdowns, we tear each other to shreds, lose our important players to injury/suspension on the eve of finals and they get 50k+ through the gates as a bonus.

It was an illegal act that knocked out one of the Crows best players, and changed the outcome of the game.
He will get 4-6
Oh ffs, there was a goal in it at the time and were renowned this season as finishing strong, the result could have just as easily come with Rankine on the park.
He could have done a hammy 5 minutes later for all you know so drop the hysteria.

Where have I ever said racial abuse is ok? Your entire posting history is just making things up to please yourself. Embarrassing.
You certainly seem more concerned with the horror of booing than with the racism. And my response after being reminded of somebody using racial slurs generally isn't to immediately refer to them as 'King'.

As you will find out today, the hit wasn't above board.
The hit wasn’t outside of the rules of the game though. So hardly a thug or any other slanderous label that has been brought up by many in the past couple of days.

Not many things in this world you can be innocent yet still cop punishment for something that did not transgress the letter of the law.

Then on the other hand, you can tunnel a bloke in mid air, against the letter of the law and not be held accountable on the day or subsequent days following.

Australia has lost it’s identity and woke culture has won, you’re punished on the outcome, there is not innocence or guilt, there is only outcome and protection of the game and its brand.

Just gets better for the Crows

Matt Crouch being investigated for assault of a Port fan post match... ..

... By knocking off his cap!!!!

FFS, surely this can't be serious. I'm sure whatever the fan said was way worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 goals and 8 touches when he got hit mid way through the third …

Are they the stats of a game changer ?

I dont think so.

He had 2 of their 6 goals, so 33%, they ended up with 8 total so the trend says he may kick 1 more for 3 of 9 to maintain that 33%, he gathers another 2 or 3 touches and the result is the same with our strong finishes.

Crows also had a decent rub of the green in the first half, I looked at CD stats either late 1st or early 2nd qtr and it was 12-4 in their favour which the umps, as they tend to do, came close to squaring up late.

One of his goals came after the egregious non tunneling free as well so he shouldn’t have even had that one either.
Exactly for context
Fogarty and Rachelle both finished with similar stats and nobody thinks they influenced the game

But no keep up the narrative we only won because of the bump Crows fans

The showdown is the biggest rivalry outside of victoria but when compared to other rivalries in Victoria it is outclassed. In my opinion when you judge the best rivalry you look at iconic moments, games, and attendance. I do think the showdown has bits from all those elements but they aren't as ancient and remembered as moments from a:
Carlton vs Collingwood
Hawthorn vs Essendon
Hawthorn vs Geelong
Collingwood Vs Essendon
just too name a few rivalries, these rivalries all possess iconic moments and significance like:
1989 Grand final
Blair in 2012 anzac day
2008 grand final
Great post.

Carlton vs Collingwood
Hawthorn vs Essendon
Hawthorn vs Geelong
Collingwood Vs Essendon
1989 Grand final
Blair in 2012 anzac day
2008 grand final
Vic bias

Crows and Port fans have enjoyed an immense rivalry over the past three decades which dwarfs every other rivalry.

Port and Crows are creating their own history. There have been plenty of iconic Showdown moments... brawls, bumps, controversies, comebacks, upsets, pre-game shit-talking, and match-winning goals inside the final 2 minutes. It's no different to any of those other rivalries you mentioned. You pump them up by giving famous moments from FOUR different Vic rivalries. Seems a bit rich... If you pick one and focus on that, you'll see it's no bigger and more storied than Port v Crows... The Victorian rivalries just been going for longer. That's all. But I don't think they match the intensity of the Adel/Port rivalry

Neither of us barrack for the Crows or Port. We don't live in South Australia, so their rivalry mostly washes right over us. Like most of us Victorians, the Showdowns are just another game between 2 interstate clubs we don't care much about. But for Crows & Port fans, there is really only one game that matters: the next Showdown.

There's a huge difference between one city with only 2 teams compared to a city with 9 or 10 teams and multiple rivalries. It's just a whole different dynamic. Similar to the NSW v Queensland rugby league State of Origin rivalry.

Collingwood v Carlton was huge back in the day. It's still one of the biggest rivalries, but it doesn't grab this city's attention like it once did. These days, the Carl v Coll "rivalry" is more of a marketing ploy: a week of media hype to drive ticket sales and boost TV ratings.

The simple fact is they are no longer the 2 alpha-dogs of the competition. The national comp has watered things down.

Back in the VFL's halcyon days from the late 60's to the mid 80's, the Carlton v Collingwood games were typically a "match of the year" battle between the two top teams: 1st v 2nd... 1st v 3rd... 2nd v 3rd... They were games of consequence..

These days, Carlton v Collingwood is typically a crap game between 7th vs 14th. Once the game gets underway, and initial roar of the excited 80,000 crowd dies down, we're basically left with a shitty, overhyped game between 2 average teams.

Vic bias

Crows and Port fans have enjoyed an immense rivalry over the past three decades which dwarfs every other rivalry.

Port and Crows are creating their own history. There have been plenty of iconic Showdown moments... brawls, bumps, controversies, comebacks, upsets, pre-game shit-talking, and match-winning goals inside the final 2 minutes. It's no different to any of those other rivalries you mentioned. You pump them up by giving famous moments from FOUR different Vic rivalries. Seems a bit rich... If you pick one and focus on that, you'll see it's no bigger and more storied than Port v Crows... The Victorian rivalries just been going for longer. That's all. But I don't think they match the intensity of the Adel/Port rivalry

Neither of us barrack for the Crows or Port. We don't live in South Australia, so their rivalry mostly washes right over us. Like most of us Victorians, the Showdowns are just another game between 2 interstate clubs we don't care much about. But for Crows & Port fans, there is really only one game that matters: the next Showdown.

There's a huge difference between one city with only 2 teams compared to a city with 9 or 10 teams and multiple rivalries. It's just a whole different dynamic. Similar to the NSW v Queensland rugby league State of Origin rivalry.

Collingwood v Carlton was huge back in the day. It's still one of the biggest rivalries, but it doesn't grab this city's attention like it once did. These days, the Carl v Coll "rivalry" is more of a marketing ploy: a week of media hype to drive ticket sales and boost TV ratings.

The simple fact is they are no longer the 2 alpha-dogs of the competition. The national comp has watered things down.

Back in the VFL's halcyon days from the late 60's to the mid 80's, the Carlton v Collingwood games were typically a "match of the year" battle between the two top teams: 1st v 2nd... 1st v 3rd... 2nd v 3rd... They were games of consequence..

These days, Carlton v Collingwood is typically a crap game between 7th vs 14th. Once the game gets underway, and initial roar of the excited 80,000 crowd dies down, we're basically left with a shitty, overhyped game between 2 average teams.
Just remember the hawthorn vs Geelong and Hawthorn vs Essendon in the 80s and even now in this century and hawks are getting better so it will become a rivalry it was 12 years ago but remember you still get occasional and constant moments of bumps, brawls, fans,

Just remember the hawthorn vs Geelong and Hawthorn vs Essendon in the 80s and even now in this century and hawks are getting better so it will become a rivalry it was 12 years ago but remember you still get occasional and constant moments of bumps, brawls, fans,
The Geelong v Hawthorn rivalry only started in earnest during the 2008 season.
The rivalry peaked during the Kennett curse years: 2009-2013.

Prior to 2008, the Hawthorn v Geelong games were notable for the number of times the Hawks managed to be the fly in Geelong's ointment and ruin their finals aspirations. Aside from the Matthews/Bruns biffo (and subsequent booing of Bruns for the police involvement), there was no real angst from Hawthorn towards Geelong.

The Essendon v Hawthorn rivalry dates back to the 1980's, but I reckon the Bombers fans collectively hate Carlton more than Hawthorn.

Neither of these comes close to the Port v Adelaide rivalry, in my opinion.

Last edited:
The most memorable moments in football happen in finals, that's where all the non-derby rivalries were built. Each of the derbies need some big finals clashes to elevate themselves to the upper echelon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is the Showdown the Biggest Rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back