Opinion Is the Showdown the Biggest Rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

The showdown is the biggest rivalry outside of victoria but when compared to other rivalries in Victoria it is outclassed. In my opinion when you judge the best rivalry you look at iconic moments, games, and attendance. I do think the showdown has bits from all those elements but they aren't as ancient and remembered as moments from a:
Carlton vs Collingwood
Hawthorn vs Essendon
Hawthorn vs Geelong
Collingwood Vs Essendon
just too name a few rivalries, these rivalries all possess iconic moments and significance like:
Mcgovern missing after the siren
line in the sand game in 2004
1989 Grand final
kennett curse broken in 2013
carlton out of the finals in the final round in 2022
zarharakis winning goal in 2009 anzac day
Blair in 2012 anzac day
2008 grand final
80s Hawthorn and essendon brawls

Attendance means nothing in rivalry.
The showdown rivalry is real, it gets no leg up from head office advertising it top of every footy show that’s it’s a blockbuster, it doesn’t need any help.
The AFL pump the Vic rivalries up yet don’t pump the non vic rivalry up? Strange to to that.

eagles get big crowds against all clubs all year round, they don’t need their games on at particular times to get a crowd.

There are plenty of iconic matches and moments within derbies and showdowns that come to mind, and there's genuine vitriol between the fans

It doesn't have to be from something that happened in the sixties you know

Heck even giants vs dogs has a sublime rivalry building

Vic rivalries don't really seem to mean much these days. There's not much spite between the teams anymore, as all the fun happened decades ago.

There's genuine malice in every showdown - the 2 teams legitimately hate each other.

Players cross from big Vic clubs all the time. Has that ever happened between Crows and Power? I can't recall.

There used to be big genuine rivalries back in the VFL days but it's all watered down now. Doubt the younger generation even cares any more

There are plenty of iconic matches and moments within derbies and showdowns that come to mind, and there's genuine vitriol between the fans

It doesn't have to be from something that happened in the sixties you know

Heck even giants vs dogs has a sublime rivalry building

The unique thing about the Port/Crows rivalry is that the fire was already raging before the ball was bounced in Showdown I. There was decades of animosity baked into it thanks to Port’s long-standing on-field rivalries with the other SANFL clubs plus all the politics and drama of our first AFL bid that culminated in the very formation of the Crows.

So while the Showdowns have been played for 30 years the rivalry has deep roots from well before. It’s about as genuine as it gets.

Last edited:
The showdown is the biggest rivalry outside of victoria but when compared to other rivalries in Victoria it is outclassed. In my opinion when you judge the best rivalry you look at iconic moments, games, and attendance. I do think the showdown has bits from all those elements but they aren't as ancient and remembered as moments from a:
Carlton vs Collingwood
Hawthorn vs Essendon
Hawthorn vs Geelong
Collingwood Vs Essendon
just too name a few rivalries, these rivalries all possess iconic moments and significance like:
Mcgovern missing after the siren
line in the sand game in 2004
1989 Grand final
kennett curse broken in 2013
carlton out of the finals in the final round in 2022
zarharakis winning goal in 2009 anzac day
Blair in 2012 anzac day
2008 grand final
80s Hawthorn and essendon brawls
I don’t recall some of those iconic moments, maybe the ones that are about special days or Grand Finals because, you know, the entire comp is watching them.

Why is McGovern missing a goal after the siren “iconic”?
Why is Carlton out of the finals “iconic”?
A couple of Anzac Day and a couple Grand Finals in there, shouldn’t need those to help a genuine rivalry along.

Which is kinda the point being made in this thread. The Showdown has had no leg up from the AFL and it’s getting national interest and genuine interest.

I could just as easily list out
Bickley KO on Wakelin
Chad Cornes “Dream final” backfire, Biglands trying to take out Pickett and getting ironed out himself
Monfries miracle bounce
Motlop’s winning goal on the run after McGovern almost steals the game
Jenkins hits the post that’s called a goal
Punch up at the Ramsgate Hotel between Carr and Riccuito
The Phil Walsh game
Dawson wins it after the siren
And now
Houston’s bump after Rachele’s no teeth jibe

All from one rivalry only. And not an 80’s punch up to be found.

9/10 team town is too diluted, made worse with social media, the players and fans know each other on a more personal level, not many genuine dislikes.

2 team town, like Holden/Ford, Blues/Maroons, genuine us Vs them and no one else tribalism.

It could never work in Gather Round for that reason, neither of us want thousands of neutrals watering shit down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is the Showdown the Biggest Rivalry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back