Is there a club that handles adversity worse than the West Coast Eagles?

Remove this Banner Ad

They gave up on this year somewhere near the end of last year.
Actually, it was straight after the bye. Thats what happens when you rush underdone senior players back at the expense of fringe players who worked their arse off in the first half of the season...

I know it’s harder to bring your money to bear in the AFL but still , has the “ richest most powerful club “ ever been this bad in any sport ?

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

They weren’t the richest but they were the most successful and arguably the most supported - south Sydney got booted out of the comp after a decade without so much as looking like playing finals.

Brisbane Broncos ARE the richest NRL club and they’ve fielded a couple of horrendous sides in recent years.

If memory serves England were briefly ranked below Zimbabwe in test cricket for a short time

Been deplorable the past 2 seasons, spooners in 2020 and 14th in 2021.

Guess this is a good sign for us that you've posted, no?
It's a different league where there is a free flow of player movement so you can resign stars from other teams with no trade capital. You can get free agents in the AFL as Geelong has done but WC has not much room due to the cap & structure of it's list and previous decisions so it won't be a quick fix. Unless you had some crazy Hawthorn / Geelong hybrid plan to offload any under performing 30-35 year olds on the cheap and then re-use the money to recruit moneyball free agents (27/28 year olds) and players who aren't getting games. Delist 10 players and recruit 10 x 22-26 year olds who are on the chopping block but willing to go all in on their last chance of an AFL career.

But WC traditionally doesn't like to trade much and holds onto players for far too long in fear that they will go somewhere else and perform. So you can just go to the draft for the next 3-5 years like the rest of the teams.

But WC traditionally doesn't like to trade much and holds onto players for far too long in fear that they will go somewhere else and perform. So you can just go to the draft for the next 3-5 years like the rest of the teams.
Pretty much what we're all expecting. People ranting about 10+ years out of finals are high on hopium though.

Yes, the cliff has come much sooner than they probably anticipated and guys that were premiership heroes five years ago are now cooked. Been there. But they've also been one of the most successful clubs of the AFL era - I think they've mastered the bounce from crap to gold as good as any club. They hardly seem to spend time in the middle of the pack - they're either contending or they're rubbish. They're in the latter stage at the moment but I don't think that means they handle adversity any worse than any other club.

Pretty much what we're all expecting. People ranting about 10+ years out of finals are high on hopium though.
That's only if you stuff up the next three drafts, I can hope for it but doubt that will happen. You generally go the vanilla option too with early picks so you should at least be competitive to make finals in that time frame, winning might be another story.

Yes, the cliff has come much sooner than they probably anticipated and guys that were premiership heroes five years ago are now cooked. Been there. But they've also been one of the most successful clubs of the AFL era - I think they've mastered the bounce from crap to gold as good as any club. They hardly seem to spend time in the middle of the pack - they're either contending or they're rubbish. They're in the latter stage at the moment but I don't think that means they handle adversity any worse than any other club.
Only successful clubs can do this there’s enough premiership energy around the place that the tanking rot doesn’t set in.
With no recent success tanking can infect the culture and take years to rid like blues and dees.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't follow them that closely but their 22 looks okay to me.

How can all those senior players have fallen off such a big cliff?

Surely they can recapture some fitness and form?

They won a flag, get plenty of love about town and felt jilted by the AFL COVID set up.

Simpson also seems to be ride or die for senior players.

Eh, history at the Eagles shows once a player gets to their 30's with all the travel they gotta do they fall off a cliff, which is why Hurn is our only 300 game player. It's like a triple decker of horribleness that our over 30's are close to million dollar players, who've fallen off a cliff AND often get medium/long term injuries after playing a couple games.

How
Eh, history at the Eagles shows once a player gets to their 30's with all the travel they gotta do they fall off a cliff, which is why Hurn is our only 300 game player. It's like a triple decker of horribleness that our over 30's are close to million dollar players, who've fallen off a cliff AND often get medium/long term injuries after playing a couple games.
How does Freo manage to find such durable veterans then? Pavlich and Mundy at first grasp stayed competitive late in thier careers.

It’s the coach. He is absolutely fried, depressed. burnt out and needs a break from the game. The players have obviously mentally switched off from what ever mumblings Simpson craps on with.
It’s happened a million times over at all clubs at one time or another.

Its much more than just Simmo.
The clubs 2018 success was over rated by the club & the understandable dream of another flag for the guys that missed out (Natanui, Shepherd & Gaff) saw the club look backwards & ignore the possibility that the young talent on the list were not up to AFL standard.
I was one who wanted to keep the list together. When the potential of getting Tim Kelly was discussed initially, not wanting Brander to be traded, when it was the only time he had any value. Geelong played hard ball, & the club threw away draft picks a year later.
The 2018 premiership players were just getting older & of the guys who missed out only Gaff has played much footy.

The old mans injury the hamstring has curtailed Shuey & his on field leadership, and the club has failed to find any depth for the midfield. These hamstring injuries dont go away.

The club is suffering from a 5 year hangover with very little trade value in their current list, so its bounce along the bottom & restock.
I'm no fan of wholesale off field changes, change for change sake, so how well the club handles the next draft is the first step back.

SO: It’s happened a million times over at all clubs at one time or another.

Last edited:
Yes I agree with all that.

Point is, Simpson hasn’t got the drive anymore to re build and keep positive.

He’s no horse or Kenny who maintain their desire.

WC have basically zero prospects coming through the wafl team.
The cupboard is bare.

Let the coach go, trade off whoever wants to go and attack the draft and other teams rookies with aggressive trades is my advice.

Worsfold and Simpson are similar in demeanour that it doesn't seem like anything phases them to the point where they look disinterested.

Even after the NAILBITING flags in 06 and 18 neither were jumping around excited.

Almost too professional to enjoy anything.

Just something that's annoyed me over the years lol

Malthouse was at least an angry SOB

When I was little I used to think "why is Mick never happy"

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there a club that handles adversity worse than the West Coast Eagles?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back