Is this Racism or PC gone mad?

Remove this Banner Ad

You are confusing a willingness to criticise racists with deliberately looking for drama.

I couldn't reply to the rest of your post because I reported it.

Personally you come across as looking for Drama. The biggest problem with people wiling to criticise racists is the generally start calling everyone and anyone a racists so they look superior.

I would have thought the biggest problem was that people are being racist in the first place?

no the problem is people like you putting a racist slant on things that perhaps weren't there to begin with. People like to see what they are looking for.

no the problem is people like you putting a racist slant on things that perhaps weren't there to begin with. People like to see what they are looking for.

Or perhaps people like you are afraid to admit that racism is still very much alive, if more concealed?

Why would I want to see racism?

Or perhaps people like you are afraid to admit that racism is still very much alive, if more concealed?

Why would I want to see racism?

so you can tell people they are being racists, thats easy.

There is always going to subconscious racism but that is more than likely part of human nature you move towards things you know.

What I deem as real racism I reckon is on the decline, I wouldn't know anyone would knowingly discriminate against a race for any particular reason.

I would say there is some cultural problems out there which are confused with racism. It think Australia gets a bad rapt - we are after all a fairly easy target.

sharpton_obama2.jpg

At the end of the day Obama doesn't seem to have a problem with racists ...

Mr. Sharpton was even more malevolent. He turned a landlord-tenant dispute between the Jewish owner of Freddy's and a black subtenant into a theater of hatred. Picketers from Mr. Sharpton's National Action Network, sometimes joined by "the Rev." himself, marched daily outside the store, screaming about "bloodsucking Jews" and "Jew bastards" and threatening to burn the building down. After weeks of increasingly violent rhetoric, one of the protesters, Roland Smith, took Mr. Sharpton's words about ousting the "white interloper" to heart. He ran into the store shouting, "It's on!" He shot and wounded three whites and a Pakistani, whom he apparently mistook for a Jew. Then he set the fire, which killed five Hispanics, one Guyanese and one African-American--a security guard whom protesters had taunted as a "cracker lover." Smith then fatally shot himself.

http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110004192
note: This article appeared in The Wall Street Journal, Feb. 29, 2000

1991: A Hasidic Jewish driver in Brooklyn's Crown Heights section accidentally kills Gavin Cato, a 7-year-old black child, and antisemitic riots erupt. Sharpton races to pour gasoline on the fire. At Gavin's funeral he rails against the "diamond merchants" -- code for Jews -- with "the blood of innocent babies" on their hands. He mobilizes hundreds of demonstrators to march through the Jewish neighborhood, chanting, "No justice, no peace." A rabbinical student, Yankel Rosenbaum, is surrounded by a mob shouting "Kill the Jews!" and stabbed to death.
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=2411

In what way did I lie?

Anyway, as for the term 'coloured people', an anchor from NBC was forced to apologise for using the term, even whilst actually discussing it with the NAACP on air, as it is considered racial slang.

http://digg.com/arts_culture/MSNBC_Anchor_Apologizes_for_On_Air_Racial_Slur

Your lieing too yourself Karl

Because you know that an argument has been put since your original accusation of me, that has dispelled the original grounds for your slur

You labelled me a racist for using a term colored that most others including the NAACP do not veiw as derogratory

I'm not the anchor on the NBC, I'm from Southern NSW Australia.

Carla Sims, communications director for the NAACP in Washington, D.C., came to Lindsay Lohan’s defense today following Lohan’s on-camera interview with “Access Hollywood” in which Lohan called president-elect Barack Obama “colored.”
Sims believes that the media’s lambasting of the starlet is only to create controversy.

“Sometimes you have to look at the intent…but the word ‘colored’ isn’t derogatory,” Sims told me in a phone interview. “Clearly she’s [Lohan] an Obama supporter.”

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2008/11/12/lohan-calls-obama-colored-naacp-says-no-big-deal/

Karl have you actualy had any social interaction with anyone outside your racial profile ?

And I mean social: outside of work/school, going to airports, catching taxi's, going to Indian, Chinese resteraunts etc

I mean going around or hosting a barb-b-q, party, going to the pub, dating or along those lines

At the end of the day Obama doesn't seem to have a problem with racists ...
Whether or not Obama has any issues with racists is not the point, although he did throw the Rev. Jeremiah Wright under the bus when it suited him during the primary elections. However, I haven't heard Obama criticise this cartoon, but if you have, then I would love to read about it if you have a link.

Your lieing too yourself Karl

Because you know that an argument has been put since your original accusation of me, that has dispelled the original grounds for your slur

You labelled me a racist for using a term colored that most others including the NAACP do not veiw as derogratory

I'm not the anchor on the NBC, I'm from Southern NSW Australia.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2008/11/12/lohan-calls-obama-colored-naacp-says-no-big-deal/

Have you noticed the only organisation that defends the use of the word, is an organisation that has it in its title? And even then they've admitted its antiquated.

Karl have you actualy had any social interaction with anyone outside your racial profile ?

And I mean social: outside of work/school, going to airports, catching taxi's, going to Indian, Chinese resteraunts etc

I mean going around or hosting a barb-b-q, party, going to the pub, dating or along those lines

I'd say over 75% of my friends are of a different ethnic background to me. not that my personal experience in Melbourne has anything to do with this discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is boring - is'nt it just good manners to avoid giving offence to others. This is the trouble with the "political correctness gone mad" idea.

If I call a white person in Australia a "coon" or a "boong" it is not equivalent to saying it to a blackfella.

Political correctness is just aimed at not giving offence to towel heads, n-i-g-g-er-s and slant eyed gooks. If political correctness [which is nothing but a right wing wedge term] means that people are too polite to use these terms anymore that is a good thing right?

Or is that political correctness gone mad - and when people use that it is usually code to permit racism. sexism etc.

Using the logical extension of political correctness why is it wrong to use these terms should'nt we be free to use them if we want to .. and would not we have been better off if we had've interred every muslim in Australia after September 11 and if I want to put a swastika on the side of a synagogue - is'nt that just exercising free speech.

The fact is throughout history minorities have always been represented as sub humans - it happened to the Irish, to the Italians when they first came here and to asian people and blacks. If they are offended by a depiction of someone as a monkey why do it?

Stop being a hypocrite contra.You was just having a good laugh with the boys about Pyne getting called a ****ter.

But heaven forfend if there is a cartoon about 'the one' or any of the special groups thats sensabilities must be defended to the point of absurdity.

I don't like it and think it demeans political discourse - how many homosexual poodles do you know?

This is the trouble with the "monkey" as a symbol people plead moral equivalence in its use against blacks and whites. So why does it not follow that a poodle is just a dog particularly when the person to whom it is directed is straight

This is boring - is'nt it just good manners to avoid giving offence to others. This is the trouble with the "political correctness gone mad" idea.

If I call a white person in Australia a "coon" or a "boong" it is not equivalent to saying it to a blackfella.

Political correctness is just aimed at not giving offence to towel heads, n-i-g-g-er-s and slant eyed gooks. If political correctness [which is nothing but a right wing wedge term] means that people are too polite to use these terms anymore that is a good thing right?

Or is that political correctness gone mad - and when people use that it is usually code to permit racism. sexism etc.

Using the logical extension of political correctness why is it wrong to use these terms should'nt we be free to use them if we want to .. and would not we have been better off if we had've interred every muslim in Australia after September 11 and if I want to put a swastika on the side of a synagogue - is'nt that just exercising free speech.

The fact is throughout history minorities have always been represented as sub humans - it happened to the Irish, to the Italians when they first came here and to asian people and blacks. If they are offended by a depiction of someone as a monkey why do it?

Well said.

Contra, I agree with what you are say about manners, but IMO the "political correctness gone mad" is a bit more than that.

For example, lets take a random example. If celebrating Christmas causes offence to some people of non christian faith, should we as a country not celebrate christmas because it could possibly give offence to someone?

That is more to do with the "political correctness gone mad" syndrome rather than plain rudeness or cruel name calling.

Examples are over the top and overstated but the "neutral poodle" is a good example of why a symbol can mean different things when applied to different groups

Take 'pom' for example. To most English its not offensive at all, kind of like a healthy rivalry (same with Yank).

But Irish would take great offense to the term.

Spare me mate.I just object to you pretending it is not political.

What do you mean the cartoon? It is capable of sustaining a neutral meaning I suppose.

mr_humphreys_inman_203_203x152.jpg

"I'm a confirmed batchelor"

What do you mean the cartoon?
No I mean your diatribe about it all really being about good manners and that anyone who points out the absurdity of a people being outraged on behalf of black presidents sensibilities is just a right wing wedger.

It bloody ridiculous--it is like some of you guys are still living in the 60s andGermaine Greers book just came out.It is nearly 50 years later dude,half the young white people in America wish they were black!

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this Racism or PC gone mad?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back