Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

We are still 3-4 years off leaving the bottom 4, let that sink in.
And we have Brain Dead to thank for that. Didn’t rate the list in 2020. Cut too quickly and too deep. We have been bottom 2 ever since. But it ain’t his fault apparently. :stern look

And we have Brain Dead to thank for that. Didn’t rate the list in 2020. Cut too quickly and too deep. We have been bottom 2 ever since. But it ain’t his fault apparently. :stern look
We finished 17th in 2020 after winning the first two games. Before the list was culled. How would those players we cut have done any better in the following years seeing they couldn't that year?

So many teams have been on the bottom with us & gone & left us down the bottom of the ladder…. Some have played finals & even won flags
We are still on the bottom 🤷‍♂️

We finished 17th in 2020 after winning the first two games. Before the list was culled. How would those players we cut have done any better in the following years seeing they couldn't that year?
Now Ferball. Don’t give me this “what they would’ve done” nonsense as if it’s some sort of justification for cutting the list so deep and so quickly. Where have we finished at the end of 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024? The team of 2020 had a down year. If you know any player who was a part of the hub in 2020 ask them what the go was. They will tell you it was a shit show. Thus they had a very bad year. What we do know is that same team in 2019 won 10 games. From the list cull to the recruitment of the likes of Atu, Lachie Young, CCJ, Cat Stephens, Fisher etc from other clubs to the idiotic long term deals given to the likes of Simpkin etc, recruitment and list management has been for the Tip! There is a reason why we are as bad as we are now a number of years since that cull. Be honest with yourself. The truth is staring you in the face. :stern look

We’re not that bad.

Would a bad team lead by 50+ points against the reigning premiers?
We’ve still got so many young guys
Hawks so a lot of senior players running around - we have corr and Lmac.
We just need to balance the list up with a few more talls and some small forwards

I’ve never been as disinterested as I am right now. The promise of next year being the one is only believable for so long.

A sixth (!!!) year in the bottom two could be the straw that breaks the back of a lot of north fans. It’s beyond a joke now.
Feeling similar. Seems like there's a huge drop in chatter on our subforum too. More than usual.

Goodness me we're on the way up, you might not think so but we are.

1 Xerri - best ever year, sent by the Gods. Pick 72
2 Comben - Pick 31 is a super talent and will brain when he plays out of FF.
3 Archer pick 50 odd

Those three alone tell you we left rock bottom a ways back :)
3 positives vs 15-20 negatives is a far cry from being “on the way up”.

Every putrid team over the last 100 years would’ve had taken 2-3 positives out of its year.

It’s a Win/Loss industry. Simple as that. Looking for scrapes of positivity to fluff up and bang on about is what this club now clings to.

For example, George Wardlaw will finish Top 3 in the Rising Star - the club, and many on here, will marvel at that achievement. Who cares? Really. Did it translate to wins?

Xerri will make the AA squad. Sure, nice personal achievement, but did it translate to wins?

We have been so starved of success that we’ll celebrate any little thing.

We’re not that bad.

Would a bad team lead by 50+ points against the reigning premiers?
We’ve still got so many young guys
Hawks so a lot of senior players running around - we have corr and Lmac.
We just need to balance the list up with a few more talls and some small forwards
That makes me feel a lot better. Here I was thinking we were no good. Sounds like a couple of minor tweaks to our list and she’s apples.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every putrid team over the last 100 years would’ve had taken 2-3 positives out of its year.

It’s a Win/Loss industry. Simple as that. Looking for scrapes of positivity to fluff up and bang on about is what this club now clings to.

For example, George Wardlaw will finish Top 3 in the Rising Star - the club, and many on here, will marvel at that achievement. Who cares? Really. Did it translate to wins?

Xerri will make the AA squad. Sure, nice personal achievement, but did it translate to wins?

I guess the alternative is to bang on all the time about how shit absolutely everything is and never look for the even the smallest of positives ever. People love people like that.

Now Ferball. Don’t give me this “what they would’ve done” nonsense as if it’s some sort of justification for cutting the list so deep and so quickly. Where have we finished at the end of 2021, 2022, 2023 and 2024? The team of 2020 had a down year. If you know any player who was a part of the hub in 2020 ask them what the go was. They will tell you it was a shit show. Thus they had a very bad year. What we do know is that same team in 2019 won 10 games. From the list cull to the recruitment of the likes of Atu, Lachie Young, CCJ, Cat Stephens, Fisher etc from other clubs to the idiotic long term deals given to the likes of Simpkin etc, recruitment and list management has been for the Tip! There is a reason why we are as bad as we are now a number of years since that cull. Be honest with yourself. The truth is staring you in the face. :stern look
So you're telling me we should have kept Ben Jacobs, Paul Ahern, EVW, Maj (atho they were all done from injuries, none have played since and they barely played that year anyway) Joel Crocker, Hosie, the coke brothers, offered Ben Brown four years at 750K etc etc? That they would have somehow turned it around under David Noble?

How many games would Sam Durdin, Tom Murphy, Mason Wood or JMac won for us over the next three years?

Murphy might have been worth keeping but wouldn't have made any difference to our fortunes since.

Despite all the hype about the massive cull most of those players were done or no better than the players you mentioned. You whinge about the deal to Fisher but we ... well actually it was your mate brawling ... turned pick 29 and 34 in last years draft into him and pick 17.

Whty was the deal to Simpkin idiotic? he'd just won two B&Fs in a row and since our two best players have said it was crucial in their decisions to want to stay at North for the long term. I'm pretty sure you said the deal to Xerri was a poor one too earlier this year.

Maybe rawlings should have let him go to St Kilda for a third round pick but no he signs him up to an idiotic long term deal.

I guess the alternative is to bang on all the time about how shit absolutely everything is and never look for the even the smallest of positives ever. People love people like that.
What did Monty Python sing. ..no, not sit on my face.. always look on the bright side of life..

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

When does the AFL step in and take over operations at the club? They were supposedly planning on intervening in 2022. We are even worse 2 seasons on. We would be the biggest problem facing them going forward. Additional Picks and list spots haven’t helped. We don’t seem to care to sort ourselves out. After 5 seasons of bottom 2 I think we are getting very close to them stepping in.

When does the AFL step in and take over operations at the club? They were supposedly planning on intervening in 2022. We are even worse 2 seasons on. We would be the biggest problem facing them going forward. Additional Picks and list spots haven’t helped. We don’t seem to care to sort ourselves out. After 5 seasons of bottom 2 I think we are getting very close to them stepping in.
I am really surprised they did take one of the vacant board seats.

It’s gotta be coming.

It was shit, but there was some extenuating circumstances that made it nowhere near some of the other low spots of the last few years.

Lost our biggest, most athletic and best aerial defender half way through the first quarter. Comben had already taken 2 intercept marks on Darcy and dropped an absolute sitter he would take 99/100 times.

The Dogs couldn't be a worse side to have lost him so early in a game, especially with Logue out again.

Relying on Dawson and Corr against a 3 pronged WB forward line of JUH, Darcy and Naughton was terminal.

I think in the coming years Comben, Logue and Corr will be a much more interesting and fair assessment if we can get together.

Larkey was ****ed and could barely move for most of the game, pretty much ****ed our forward structure and movement. Again, he was ****ed, playing on a defender he generally has quite a few issues besting in Liam Jones, so again, was cooked the moment he lost his mobility. Teakle had his worst game for the club.

There's no excuse for the midfield. But again, we were missing literally one of the best players in the comp the last 4 months, someone averaging 33 touches, 6 clearances, 1.3 goals, 1.3 goal assists and 9 score involvements a game.

That is the equivalent to pulling the Bont out of that side.

Wardlaw was playing his first game back and has essentially played 2 games in 6 weeks. now.

LDU always gets pantsed by Bont, he hasn't worked it out yet. The less said about the senior core of Jy, LMAC Zurhaar, Tucker, Stephens, Scott the better.

As soon as people stop defending these guys, the sooner we can move forward.

It's them, it's always been them. Just like the other mediocre crabs before them in Jmac, Atley, Bonar, Anderson, Turner, Hall, Dumont, Pittard etc.

A sea of mediocrity, and some of these are absolutely no different. The fact we have recently signed some of them to long term deals on big money is absolutely criminal.

Last edited:
So you're telling me we should have kept Ben Jacobs, Paul Ahern, EVW, Maj (atho they were all done from injuries, none have played since and they barely played that year anyway) Joel Crocker, Hosie, the coke brothers, offered Ben Brown four years at 750K etc etc? That they would have somehow turned it around under David Noble?

How many games would Sam Durdin, Tom Murphy, Mason Wood or JMac won for us over the next three years?

Murphy might have been worth keeping but wouldn't have made any difference to our fortunes since.

Despite all the hype about the massive cull most of those players were done or no better than the players you mentioned. You whinge about the deal to Fisher but we ... well actually it was your mate brawling ... turned pick 29 and 34 in last years draft into him and pick 17.

Whty was the deal to Simpkin idiotic? he'd just won two B&Fs in a row and since our two best players have said it was crucial in their decisions to want to stay at North for the long term. I'm pretty sure you said the deal to Xerri was a poor one too earlier this year.

Maybe rawlings should have let him go to St Kilda for a third round pick but no he signs him up to an idiotic long term deal.
In all seriouslyness....if you think our list management has been anywhere near acceptable....then you may actually be Brady. Lol

Hawthorn's last two games against Sydney have been 14 and 15 goal thumpings.

It can turn quickly, however theirs is clearly system base as much as it is personal.

There's been many times to lose our shit over the last 4-5 years, I've been guilty of losing it more than most, however, the weekend wasn't really one of them.

As you said, we have been one of the worst teams of the last 100 years, the first half of the season was completely unacceptable, however, a team like us can't really afford to lose 4 of our best 5-6 players, including 2 of them in-game against a team whose biggest strength further magnifies those losses.

Your distorted view of reality is entertaining. The truth is staring you in the face yet you choose to ignore it. Excuse away the incompetence of the last 5 years with dribble and nonsense. It won’t change the Butchery of our List Management that has resulted in the worst North Melbourne team we have seen in our lifetime. That’s a fact that can’t be denied by any sensible individual. Only an apologist or a fool would think otherwise. :stern look

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back