Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yah love an excuse. Stop it with the excuses. We lost by 124 points today. The truth is staring you in the face. The list is a shambles and it’s the canvas that Rawling has painted. Bottom Line. :stern look
If you think any other players he could have recruited instead of the ones he did recruit would have made a difference then you're deluded. And none of the players we sacked in 2019 had the right mental attitude to provide what the Hawthorn players who are over 27 provide. They know what to do cos they've done it for the best part of a decade.

Every year since 2019 its been something different for our side. Its no wonder they don't have a clue.

But you can think what you like. Nothing I say is gonna change your mind and obviously nothing you say will change mine.

Players left from our 2020 list. Scott, LDU, LMac, Simpkin, Larkey, Comben, Taylor, Xerri and Zurhaar. 9. Thomas already gone so not included. Over 3/4 of the list turned over. But apparently it ain’t Rawling’s fault. The truth is staring you in the face. This is the list Rawling built. :stern look

Players left from our 2020 list. Scott, LDU, LMac, Simpkin, Larkey, Comben, Taylor, Xerri and Zurhaar. 9. Thomas already gone so not included. Over 3/4 of the list turned over. But apparently it ain’t Rawling’s fault. The truth is staring you in the face. This is the list Rawling built. :stern look
Yep and even if he leaves at the end of this year it'll still be the list he built he next year and the year after. If they're any good then ... well i don't really care what you have to say about it right now.

We had four players 27 or over. They were Tucker, McDonald, Corr and Shiels who just retired. One of them has been there more than five years. Two of them more than three years.

Hawthorn had Hardwick, Amon, Impey, Sicily, Frost, Gunstan and Breust. With the exception of Amon all of those players have been there playing together since we drafted LDU. Two of them won flags and the rest spent time with players who played in those same flag sides for their entire early careers. Except Impey who was 23 when he got there.

That's actual experience and leadership. We have none of that.

They've also had two coaches in 20 years.

We had two last year and a different two the year before.

So on top of that leadership and experience they have relatively stable processes and systems they can fall back on when they don't know how to react to a situation.

We have none of that either.

Our list composition is totally ****ed.

This is true, but not the way you think it is. Its the demographics (ie the age) of the players on the list. Even Hawthorn, who are one of the other youngest, least experienced sides in the comp had nearly twice as many older experienced players who had been at the club for years and understood how to react and respond.

And despite what scottywiper thinks this isn't Rawlings' fault because even if he'd fixed that demographic hole with his list building since he got here those players would have had no exposure to a consistent system.

We've had six coaching changes in that time and three separate coaching regimes. Whereas Hawthorn's current coach was assistant to their old coach for three years then coached their VFL side for a couple before becoming senior coach three seasons ago.

I know no one wants to hear this cos there's no simple solutions, obvious scapegoats or quick ways to fix it.

But that is where we are at and why situations like today happen.

The only way to fix it is to keep as many of these players together for as long as we can while we work on the same systems and slowly turn over the worst of our players. That's it.

I went to the game today, was late and I'm pretty sure I got done by a speed camera on the way. I sat in the rain and watched that shit surrounded by fu<kwit Hawthorn supporters and on the way out some stupid copper looked at me funny. If my kid wasn't with me I'd have punched the campaigner repeatedly if I wasn't already locked up for going one of the fu<kwit Hawthorn supporters. That's how ****en angry I was. Its the worst game I've been to since r16 1982.

But now that i've calmed down its alot easier to see where we are at and why.
Frost was traded to Hawthorn at the end of the 2019 season. LDU was drafted in the 2017 National Draft. The truth is staring you in the face. :stern look

If you think any other players he could have recruited instead of the ones he did recruit would have made a difference then you're deluded. And none of the players we sacked in 2019 had the right mental attitude to provide what the Hawthorn players who are over 27 provide. They know what to do cos they've done it for the best part of a decade.

Every year since 2019 its been something different for our side. Its no wonder they don't have a clue.

But you can think what you like. Nothing I say is gonna change your mind and obviously nothing you say will change mine.
That's the spirit. Don't worry about recruiting well as it makes no difference. Are you Brady???
Are you seriously saying we couldn't have done better?

Momentarily leaving behind Rawling-gate and truths that are staring us in the face.....(not a huge fan of this latest catchphrase, Z-Man - needs more zest)....and taking the thread back to matters of a more esoteric, feels-based nature....

I like to keep a lid on these things but I swear these last 5 years supporting North has really f*cked with my head. On the one hand, I'm deeply distraught and literally sick to my stomach on a regular basis at where we have been and where we continue to be at as a club. It's been relentlessly bleak and nothing short of heart-breaking to endure. And most recent data would suggest we're not done being abysmal just yet. On the other hand, I am so beaten down by the perpetual losses, so utterly conditioned to losing, and so totally used to us finding new and exciting ways to be completely shithouse, I have also become dead inside to it all. We get shellacked, I shrug my shoulders, maybe mutter a quick 'pissweak' under my breath, and then I get on with my weekend.

So circa now, I find myself stuck in this weird mental stasis. This psychological purgatory where I am both devastated, and at the same time don't give that much of a shit. Needless to say, it's not an ideal place to be. But then my brain never has been really.

Shirley 2025 is the year we raise our stinking carcass up off the bottom 2 on the ladder and make a play for the heady heights of upper bottom 4. In between long and all-consuming bouts of apathy, I for one am quivering with anticipation at how next year will play out.

We just got done by 124 points by a club who started a rebuild after us.

We are beyond a joke and Richmond should be ashamed we don’t have the spoon.

I think we will win more games next year, only because we should have won more games this year, but this group, even with its talented youngsters will never contend.

I’m pretty certain won’t make the 8. I mean how much better do you think they will get at “80 - 100” games?’

This includes our coaching group and certainly our footy department.

Momentarily leaving behind Rawling-gate and truths that are staring us in the face.....(not a huge fan of this latest catchphrase, Z-Man - needs more zest)....and taking the thread back to matters of a more esoteric, feels-based nature....

I like to keep a lid on these things but I swear these last 5 years supporting North has really f*cked with my head. On the one hand, I'm deeply distraught and literally sick to my stomach on a regular basis at where we have been and where we continue to be at as a club. It's been relentlessly bleak and nothing short of heart-breaking to endure. And most recent data would suggest we're not done being abysmal just yet. On the other hand, I am so beaten down by the perpetual losses, so utterly conditioned to losing, and so totally used to us finding new and exciting ways to be completely shithouse, I have also become dead inside to it all. We get shellacked, I shrug my shoulders, maybe mutter a quick 'pissweak' under my breath, and then I get on with my weekend.

So circa now, I find myself stuck in this weird mental stasis. This psychological purgatory where I am both devastated, and at the same time don't give that much of a shit. Needless to say, it's not an ideal place to be. But then my brain never has been really.

Shirley 2025 is the year we raise our stinking carcass up off the bottom 2 on the ladder and make a play for the heady heights of upper bottom 4. In between long and all-consuming bouts of apathy, I for one am quivering with anticipation at how next year will play out.
How you put it resonates perfectly. Ive had to seek motivational and philosophical youtube vids pre bye to train myself and remind myself not to waste so much energy on something I cant personally control.

I think the team can play. Definitely can be more competitive than the vomit seen this season.

Why cant the coaches get this playing group motivated? Whats causing the “I dont care” vibes so many show on field with effort and desire. Its just bloody not there!

Happy Guitar GIF by IFHT Films

The day someone burst into tears because Coach got mad in a Bus, set the levels of accountability since

The Other Dean just a visit?

Taylor still being on the list says everything you need to know about this club.

Incredible. The bar was so low that we were happy to just be losing by 4/5 goals. That "positivity" has been completely erased due to the past few weeks. The only way this gets worse is if the club folds.

This year's percentage is worse than last year's. These boys must be so flat heading into the off-season although maybe they aren't at all which wouldn't surprise me given what was served up yesterday.

It's embarrasing that an organisation who's ultimate goal is success could be so so far from that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Post more.

Incredible. The bar was so low that we were happy to just be losing by 4/5 goals. That "positivity" has been completely erased due to the past few weeks. The only way this gets worse is if the club folds.

This year's percentage is worse than last year's. These boys must be so flat heading into the off-season although maybe they aren't at all which wouldn't surprise me given what was served up yesterday.

It's embarrasing that an organisation who's ultimate goal is success could be so so far from that.
It should be impossible to be this bad in a league set up to ensure a reasonable level of competitiveness.

It should be impossible to be this bad in a league set up to ensure a reasonable level of competitiveness.

Not enough good youngsters coming through the ranks across Australia

The 80 best players in the country get drafted each year and the strike rate is low that the majority will be still going around in 10 years time

The way the game has developed it’s not the game for all shapes and sizes anymore

You need to be 6ft 2 and above, a gun athlete with elite skills and football knowledge

To go with that, an unbalanced Fixture

Equalisation has developed into a myth

I honestly think that by my deathbed we won’t exist.

Stepping in here cautiously.

When we have just won the VFLW flag & are favourites to win our first AFLW flag, why do people honestly believe that the club should be nuked etc?

It has been a horror show of epic proportions with the men’s team and yet part of our footy program is successful. Surely this tells us that something about our club culture that doesn’t fit the loser mentality.

The 80 best players in the country get drafted each year and the strike rate is low that the majority will be still going around in 10 years time

The way the game has developed it’s not the game for all shapes and sizes anymore

You need to be 6ft 2 and above, a gun athlete with elite skills and football knowledge

Agree with all that.

Makes it even harder when North seem to like drafting dumb 5ft 11 plodders who can't kick.

But no, our list management is fine. :rolleyes:

I come in peace.....

I have this theory that applies to Gold Coast and might apply to the Roos as well that getting lots and lots of top-10 picks is actually detrimental to team success.

These boys have been the best player in every team they have ever played in and all want to be 'that guy' who gets the 10x1m contract - this leads to a whole heap of talent that plays for themselves and don't do what's best for the team.

You ask Hawk, Tigers and Cats supporters and they will all point to the lesser lights as being so important (for us it was Shiels, Poppi, Guera and Stratton) as players willing to sacrifice being a superstar to let the likes of Buddy, Hodge, Cyril and Mitchell to fly.

I think you guys already have most of your superstars on the list (Sheezel, Wardlaw, Larkey and Colby is a bloody good start). If I was North this year, I'd be trading down from 2 and try and find multiple good ordinary players to build your overall list with.

The top end of the draft is always top end midfielders and KPF's, you need those small forwards, wings and HFFs who usually go in the 20s and 30s (Warner, Gulden, McDonald, Moore, Miers, Massimo etc all later picks).

What about Hawthorn's Watson, a midget, and Ginnivan sub 180cms.

Stepping in here cautiously.

When we have just won the VFLW flag & are favourites to win our first AFLW flag, why do people honestly believe that the club should be nuked etc?

It has been a horror show of epic proportions with the men’s team and yet part of our footy program is successful. Surely this tells us that something about our club culture that doesn’t fit the loser mentality.
The aflw lol

If only more than a couple of thousand fans gave two shits about it, we would be a powerhouse...

The girls could win a 9peat, and still, the majority wouldn't care.

The men's team will take the women's team down with them when they fold us up. It's an existential crisis unfolding, not just a small turn down.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The aflw lol

If only more than a couple of thousand fans gave two shits about it, we would be a powerhouse...

The men's team will take the women's team down with them when they fold us up. It's an existential crisis unfolding, not just a small turn down.

A bit harsh on the women's team to say the least.

But to say the culture at NMFC is hunky spunky because the women go OK, is a bit like saying the Titanic was a successful trip because the room service was top notch.

A bit harsh on the women's team to say the least.

But to say the culture at NMFC is hunky spunky because the women go OK, is a bit like saying the Titanic was a successful trip because the room service was top notch.

All I am offering is that our successful AFLW program indicates the club is more than capable of developing a winning culture. We are not rotten to the core as some posts are suggesting.

The aflw lol

The AFLW Grand Final crowd would suggest there is a passion for our AFLW team amongst our fans.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back