Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Consider this.

Just as much as we should have won some of the close games, we were also lucky to have not lost the Eagles game (questionable free kick) and the Suns (Sheeze fingertip intervention in the last play)

We could have had 1 win

I come in peace.....

I have this theory that applies to Gold Coast and might apply to the Roos as well that getting lots and lots of top-10 picks is actually detrimental to team success.

These boys have been the best player in every team they have ever played in and all want to be 'that guy' who gets the 10x1m contract - this leads to a whole heap of talent that plays for themselves and don't do what's best for the team.

You ask Hawk, Tigers and Cats supporters and they will all point to the lesser lights as being so important (for us it was Shiels, Poppi, Guera and Stratton) as players willing to sacrifice being a superstar to let the likes of Buddy, Hodge, Cyril and Mitchell to fly.

I think you guys already have most of your superstars on the list (Sheezel, Wardlaw, Larkey and Colby is a bloody good start). If I was North this year, I'd be trading down from 2 and try and find multiple good ordinary players to build your overall list with.

The top end of the draft is always top end midfielders and KPF's, you need those small forwards, wings and HFFs who usually go in the 20s and 30s (Warner, Gulden, McDonald, Moore, Miers, Massimo etc all later picks).
We just draft badly. You guys clearly had a directive, in line with the way footy has been played the last 10 years, to draft multiple dangerous smalls. The energy from guys like Watson is infectious and eventually your team starts to develop and keep good habits.

The good news is we've gotten access to the top talent in the middle and we can now focus on adding those smalls that help us lock the ball in our 50 and score more from our entries.

Last edited:
All I am offering is that our successful AFLW program indicates the club is more than capable of developing a winning culture. We are not rotten to the core as some posts are suggesting.

That the most literally amateur players we have are thriving, as opposed to the ones who are swimming in the culture day-in day-out as their full time job, might suggest something.

The AFLW Grand Final crowd would suggest there is a passion for our AFLW team amongst our fans.
If the Suns and gws played a grand final, the mcg would fill up too...

Yes, there is a passion for women's football. However, it is a very niche market, imo

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Consider this.

Just as much as we should have won some of the close games, we were also lucky to have not lost the Eagles game (questionable free kick) and the Suns (Sheeze fingertip intervention in the last play)

We could have had 1 win

We won 3 that could have gone either way, lost 3 that could have gone either way. I would say 3 wins is about right.

We just got done by 124 points by a club who started a rebuild after us.

We are beyond a joke and Richmond should be ashamed we don’t have the spoon.

I think we will win more games next year, only because we should have won more games this year, but this group, even with its talented youngsters will never contend.

I’m pretty certain won’t make the 8. I mean how much better do you think they will get at “80 - 100” games?’

This includes our coaching group and certainly our footy department.

I called it but it was our worst loss against Hawks too. And in the wet.

We got zero apologies, just continue to watch and support this garbage

Where somewhere…but this is genuinely 😱

This is dead serious red-time for the club this off-season. If this continues it will kill the club faster than moving North up the Gold Coast as the impending threat, at least that was in the control of the board and members.

This is all to do with the club, its managers, its coaches, its players. They are taking the absolute piss and spitting in the face of the fans who fought SO HARD to keep North South.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I come in peace.....

I have this theory that applies to Gold Coast and might apply to the Roos as well that getting lots and lots of top-10 picks is actually detrimental to team success.

These boys have been the best player in every team they have ever played in and all want to be 'that guy' who gets the 10x1m contract - this leads to a whole heap of talent that plays for themselves and don't do what's best for the team.

You ask Hawk, Tigers and Cats supporters and they will all point to the lesser lights as being so important (for us it was Shiels, Poppi, Guera and Stratton) as players willing to sacrifice being a superstar to let the likes of Buddy, Hodge, Cyril and Mitchell to fly.

I think you guys already have most of your superstars on the list (Sheezel, Wardlaw, Larkey and Colby is a bloody good start). If I was North this year, I'd be trading down from 2 and try and find multiple good ordinary players to build your overall list with.

The top end of the draft is always top end midfielders and KPF's, you need those small forwards, wings and HFFs who usually go in the 20s and 30s (Warner, Gulden, McDonald, Moore, Miers, Massimo etc all later picks).
No wonder the hawks do so well, even their supporters speak common sense

Rock bottom would be that little mulleted campaigner winning the flag. Have to hope like hell the Poortaloos fold like they normally do.

Remember the Good Friday match vs. *Essendon in 2019?

We looked just as rudderless with one of the most experienced lists in the comp.

The team still has the exact same issue. Picks and chooses when to put in.
Remember kicking 1 goal against Geelong down at shithole stadium?

1724589282867.png

You know what hurts more is that despite the absolute shitful performances, our supporters still continued to rock up. We got more supporters to NM vs GC than Melbourne got against GWS at the 'G.

We used to have a lotta empty seats during the early parts of Brad's era and we were just outside the 8. So if we're doing our bit, when will the playing group do theirs?

You know what hurts more is that despite the absolute shitful performances, our supporters still continued to rock up. We got more supporters to NM vs GC than Melbourne got against GWS at the 'G.

We used to have a lotta empty seats during the early parts of Brad's era and we were just outside the 8. So if we're doing our bit, when will the playing group do theirs?

Half the Team do but the other don’t

Remember kicking 1 goal against Geelong down at shithole stadium?

View attachment 2091767
i was there that game, one of the worst footy experiences ever. was in the old stand before it was recently developed in the seating in some shitty plastic seat in the freezing wind as well. drove all that way all to watch goldstein kick our only goal for the night. **** we really have been that shit for that long!

north fans will always show up, there might not be many of us compared to the big 4 but damn it we show up. we had 20k show up to games in the 90s when were flying high and we’ve had the same size crowds since we’ve bottom 2 for the last 5 years. not sure how much longer that will last after 13 win in 5 years and no signs of improvement whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Is this rock bottom?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back