Is this the best round ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

It shows that high scoring is incredibly overrated. Dry conditions all round (as far as I could tell), gripping contests all-round and only two teams have cracked 90 points and those two teams (Eagles and Roos) scored 102 and 97.

I can't remember a weekend like it at this stage, where I imagine all five club boards of the losing teams on BigFooty would be seriously melting and not to be too blunt about it, but that always helps when you have a big supporter group on here: hard for the Suns board to melt I imagine when their game day thread on the main board had like 32 posts at the time of Andrews' goal after the siren.

How could the perfect melting weekend continue? Not that I'm hoping for it or anything but...

Hawthorn thump Carlton - I'm going for that particular result because Hawthorn supporters treat their current list of influencers like their own sons, so harder to get them to melt after the 2-3 months if form they've just had.

Richmond thump St Kilda - combined with the Brisbane result last week, that would tip Saints fans over the edge. Richmond supporters are too excited about getting pick #1 the year after Harley Reid to care, that golden pick when there's about 6-7 players who could be #1 at this stage and a team like Adelaide could quite conceivably get the player they would have taken at #1 anyway.
St Kilda winning with a 25-6 free kick count could also work though.

Adelaide beat the Bulldogs - the flavour of the week premiership fancy Dogs would take a nosedive - top four no longer within reach and having to make a grand final - again - from the lower rungs of the eight. Familiar territory.

Last edited:
Yes. It’s been unmissable. A round that threatened to deliver and did. Heroics aplenty. Hopefully we avoid a blowout today.

I think the Panthers had the best steal of the round though, 3 tries in the last couple minutes. Takes a Penrith to do that. Eels barely touched the ball during that time.

Swans escape was the most emotional given the context.

I'd enjoy it a lot more if I wasn't holding onto a 1 tip lead by my fingertips for about a month in my comp.

That's always good fun: thinking about trying to tip what you THINK the other person will tip, so they have no chance of making up the lead. But they're aware of it and that the pressure is on them to find the different tips to make up the difference. It's like a chess match.

Another point on the original post: two teams winning with fewer scoring shots and (unless I'm mistaken) all teams who were ahead at the final siren (I.e. before Andrews' shot) were trailing at 3/4 time

I think if Mac Andrew didn’t take that mark he would be getting daggers today from the media after pushing away King the way he did with about 1 minute left. All is forgotten after that huge effort thankfully. It is funny how it works I love the passion he played with showed he genuinely cared and if it went the other way he would of been criticised for it more than likely.

I do not have the stats but these opening 6 games have to be close to the lowest margins ever with some incredible endings, Id struggle to rate them from best to worst.

Margins-
3 pts
18 pts
5 pts
9 pts
1 pt
2 pts

WTF!

All games except Dons Suns had the winning team trailing at three quarter time.
Had Andrew not nailed the after siren goal, would have been all 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond thump St Kilda - combined with the Brisbane result last week, that would tip Saints fans over the edge.

I appreciate the sentiment but I think you could make a compelling case that we went over the edge some time ago.

Could be the wooden spoons, could be the single premiership, or it could just be the long lasting pattern of false hope and no hope that we fluctuate between during the season. But I fear there is very little left to tip.

The best rounds were back before umpires had such a stranglehold on the game. I'm talking pre 2000.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this the best round ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back