Opinion Is this the worst season of AFL in many a long while?

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been an average year with average teams . Please tell me otherwise if you have evidence.
Actually, perhaps you might first provide your “evidence” that the Swans style of footy is not “attractive”.

That is an entirely subjective realm, evidenced by the simple fact that plenty of non-Swans supporters have commented on how attractive a style it is.

I actually fail to understand how anyone can watch Sydney and not be entertained. They play great football that’s easy on the eye, have three genuine jets through the midfield (and scarily that number could jump to four upon Mills return, and is probably being unfairly dismissive of Rowbottom) and are likeable.

The Pies footy this year has been marginally less watchable than 2022 & 23 at times but we’ve been treated to a weekly highlight reel of Elliott, Hill, Howe and Sidebottom(!?) jumping on people’s heads.

Carlton are impressive to watch but **** em.

The Suns and Lions have both put on impressive displays of sheer dominance and racked up huge scores against reasonable opposition, and in the Lions case have looked irrepressible and have also played really attractive footy.

The Giants at the start of the year belonged in the conversation as well as being really fun to watch.

I don’t think the league is the problem here.

Unfortunately for Richmond supporters 2025, 2026, 2027 and 2028 are also going to feel like the worst seasons for a long time 🤣
Will Ferrell Lol GIF

It's been an average year with average teams . Please tell me otherwise if you have evidence.
It's been probably one of the more entertaining seasons in a long time with wild comebacks and upsets. It's high scoring again so we see plenty of goals unlike that patch between 2015-2022 where kicking over 100 was a rarity because of the rolling maul game plans. The COVID seasons (2020 and 2021) were easily the most boring seasons.

Not sure if it's just me but this season has been average in my opinion.
Not that many great marks or goals, not many high quality games. No real superstars apart from Bontompelli and Curnow .
Sydney seem to have a superior list to everyone else but they don't play an attractive brand.
Most of the teams in the top 8 are just ok teams.
What are you talking about buddy? Carlton back as major players and Richmond firmly encased in the bottom two!:laughv1:

It's actually the best AFL season in many a long while sunshine.;)

Sydney heads and shoulders above every other team in teh competition showcasing speed, kicking ability and hardness at the contest.
A bunch of teams scrambling, clawing and fighting for second best with no certainties about the makeup of the final 8 let alone nest three in to finish in top4.
Essendon playing good football. Hawthorn going from botton4 certainties to contending for finals.
Geelong going from winning to losing streaks and getting pummelled like never before
Brisbane going from favorites to losers to scary climbers
Collingwood copping injuries and still winning
GWS going from favourites to crap to building
Fremantle getting more consistent
Port getting less consistent
Norths going from basket case to competitive
Harley Reid
Richmond copping annus horribilis injuries and having to think about where to now
and of course
middling Club Carlton kept in games by crooked AFL fix umpiring

Richmond fan finally realises the premiership dynasty is in the rear view mirror and starts a thread to announce that AFL footy sucks.

SHOCK!! HORROR!! :D:D:D

I've found this season so far to be very entertaining with a bunch of close matches on the Thursday and Friday night. Also a very intriguing season with a dozen or so teams in finals contention. Only 1 or 2 wins separating the 2nd from 12th has led to a lot of unpredictabilty and weekly ladder movement.

Now that we've played 14 games, the ladder is starting to take shape. I'm left with the realisation that most of these "top 8" teams are bog average flag pretenders. It really is Sydney's flag to lose with only Carlton and Collingwood posing as any sort of threat. Brisbane could win it if they can pinch 4th spot, but it's looking more probable that Essendon or Fremantle will finish higher than the Lions

Sydney heads and shoulders above every other team in teh competition showcasing speed, kicking ability and hardness at the contest.
A bunch of teams scrambling, clawing and fighting for second best with no certainties about the makeup of the final 8 let alone nest three in to finish in top4.
Essendon playing good football. Hawthorn going from botton4 certainties to contending for finals.
Geelong going from winning to losing streaks and getting pummelled like never before
Harley Reid
Richmond copping annus horribilis injuries and having to think about where to now
and of course
Adding to your second point - we've already had multiple draws showing teams fighting to the absolute end and not being able to split the difference. No idea how you cant see that as entertaining

Seems even tigers supporters have wiped 2020 from their memory.

That year with shortened quarters was an abomination. Soccer matches were more exciting than games that year. And soccer matches are worse than watching paint dry.

..and games played at night in Queensland with the ball like a piece of soap.

One of the most boring seasons in recent memory.
Seriously have to force myself to watch games.
With the umpire shenanigans,it makes it worse.
And Whateley called for a state of the game back in 2018 when the game was much better then.
Rule changes by the CFL after studying Richmond which now make the game a joke like the stand rule.
Dimma could not buy a free kick at Tigerland.
Goes to the Suns with the same gameplan and now heads the free kick table lol.
Corrupt Football League.
#stateofthegame

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Went of a liveaboard charter in June and had to listen to a West Coast supporter cry about how hard it is to watch his team get smashed most weeks. I spent the next 3 days mocking him mercilessly. This thread has the same vibes.

Just jealous that Richmond are the only big 4 club not in the top 4.
The AFL were so jealous they made rules against us.
Nothing more envious than that!

And have a look at the free differential table!!!!!!

Going on EIGHT YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harley Reid
and of course
Sing this post to ‘we didn’t start the fire ‘

Speaking to a fellow Sydney supporter this morning, I said the same thing about the AFL comp overall. Sydney have been a very dominant side 'so far' this season without any spectacular play. Lots of superior running and positional play that the opposition are struggling to contain. And I reckon the comp falls away after Collingwood and Carlton. Then Essendon, Giants and Freo on the next rung.

The big threat to the teams mentioned above IMO are Brisbane. Just beginning to find their feet as the season progresses. They can still make the top 4, and perhaps being an outsider rather than a front runner over the whole year could suit them.

While I could legitimately complain about the rules, umpiring, fixture , ch 7 commentators, inconsistent tribunal, Laura Kane, Andrew Dillon and a few other things the biggest factor is my team’s poor showing, which further leaves me with less interest in the other 3/4/5/6/7/8 games each round (depending on byes).

While I could legitimately complain about the rules, umpiring, fixture , ch 7 commentators, inconsistent tribunal, Laura Kane, Andrew Dillon and a few other things the biggest factor is my team’s poor showing, which further leaves me with less interest in the other 3/4/5/6/7/8 games each round (depending on byes).

Injuries
New coach
Aging players
New players
Injuries

that is Richmond's year.

C7 idjots are a fact of life- mute button ON.
AFL MRO and Tribunal - much like 'fixturing' of games - a load of rubbish all about maximising clickbait and money

Richmond have had a MORE than great run - 3 flags in 4 years mate- legendary stuff.

One of the most boring seasons in recent memory.
Seriously have to force myself to watch games.
With the umpire shenanigans,it makes it worse.
And Whateley called for a state of the game back in 2018 when the game was much better then.
Rule changes by the CFL after studying Richmond which now make the game a joke like the stand rule.
Dimma could not buy a free kick at Tigerland.
Goes to the Suns with the same gameplan and now heads the free kick table lol.
Corrupt Football League.
#stateofthegame
upset that #richmondarenoonesgrandfinal ?

I can’t believe tigers fans have already had enough.
Into the 3rd year outside the dynasty and rebuilding before saying the comp is terrible.

It took lions fans almost 8-9 years to accept this fact.

Haven’t heard hawks fans complain about the state of the game since they have been very average since 2016

Tigers fans always win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back