Is Trent Cotchin over-rated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what i really like Duritz :)
Brisbane's 2.5 million dollar loss this year (3rd consecutive 7 figure loss haha)
the fact that Joel Patful won Brisbane's Club Champion Award
i also really like how many games YOUR captain has played in the last 5 years (while taking home a mil a year)

you and you're club can hang your hopes on "cough" Joel Patful & you're "cough" successfull administration

I am quite comfortable hanging my hopes on Trent Cotchin & The Richmond Football Club after our 3 Million Dollar Profit this year, our record membership of 53,000

Keep the trolling for the Bay please, this is the main board. :thumbsdown:

It amazes me how opinion is affected by the media. Most football opinions seem to revolve around the media. People don't acknowledge how good a footballer Cyril Rioli is. The conversation is always dominated by how overrated he is by Bruce McAvaney, the media and Hawthorn fans.

Why are people so interested in talking about who is overrated and underrated ?? These discussions are not really about football. They're actually boring discussions about the football media. Who cares what the media or other people think? Why can't people think for themselves instead of letting the media sway their thinking either in a postive way or negatively as a backlash against the "hype" ?

I am with you on this. Overrated/underrated is bullshit.

Which proves my point exactly. That was when you were winning games, with Watson being the standout.
No one was buying your shat about cotchin being overrated so now you have turned your attention to Watson in bid to get attention. Watson wasnt getting much attention before he won the Brownlow and numpties like you still don't get it.

He's overrated in the sense that commentators look for him. A quiet half such as the one against Brisbane might be ignored while contributions from the likes of Deledio and Grigg are undersold, then as soon as Cotchin gets involved in a few passages of play you get slow motion replays with oohs and ahhs from the commentators.

Seen it with plenty of players from other clubs, but the media hasn't fallen in love with a Richmond player like this since early Brad Ottens.

I dont think its a troll. It just stems from the fact that, as Ron the Bear said, the commentators get all excited when he gets the ball. This is partly due to the fact that hes such a smooth mover. Fact is that he is a gun and will be for a number of years. Its gunna be amazing to watch the midfield battles coming up with Dangerfield v Fyfe v Cotchin v Beams etc in the years to come.

After R14 last year you were near the top of the ladder. Obviously a team near the top has more than one player getting votes. But Watson was the standout of the two.

So wait, now you're moving the goal posts again to the standout of the standouts?

Just give up.

I think when a player reaches the elite category, then all commentators get a bit excited and over-dramatic.

Cotchin is definitely in the elite category now. I think he is the complete modern day player. One of two more years of this and he'll be put alongside the Judd's and Ablett's.

Can we sort this out for once and for all?

Is it easier to look good in a good team, where you get carried by all the other good players?
Or is it easier to look good in a bad team, where you stand out more?
Whichever supports your contention at the time. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one was buying your shat about cotchin being overrated so now you have turned your attention to Watson in bid to get attention. Watson wasnt getting much attention before he won the Brownlow and numpties like you still don't get it.

Not at all. Thread is about Cotchin, but the Brownlow has been used to describe Cotchin's ability. I've therefore found it necessary to point out the flaws in the Brownlow voting system, of which there are many.

I don't think Watson is over rated at all, I think he's an excellent footballer.

So wait, now you're moving the goal posts again to the standout of the standouts?

Just give up.

No, I am saying Watson was your standout. Stanton wasn't. Hence, Watson was miles ahead in the voting. Watson was your standout when Stanton was and was not playing.

Can we sort this out for once and for all?

Is it easier to look good in a good team, where you get carried by all the other good players?
Or is it easier to look good in a bad team, where you stand out more?

The latter, unless you're a downhill skier, then it's the former.

No. He is a little champion. The perfect blend of hardness, pace & class.

Franklin, Ablett, Cotchin, Dangerfield, Swan/Pendles/Selwood/Watson

He is right up there.

A bit of luck in the close games and the tigers make the finals so saying they are a poor team is harsh, mediocre perhaps but no fault of his. Cotch is a star, closest thing to Ablett in the league and I would trade any player on our list for him. For mine only dangerfield, nicnat and Fyfe are as talented of the next brigade of superstars.

He is class, absolute class.

Other than Cotchin, I would trade any player without a seconds thought on Richmond's list for Fyfe. Sensational player...huge man crush on him.

Geez there's some talent in the younger ranks.

Pendlebury didn't have a better year than Cotchin.

Cotchin surpassed Watson the second half of 2012 (evident by Brownlow tally, AFL Coaches association award and influence on games, including the Richmond win over Essendon).

Ablett is the only midfielder clearly ahead of Cotchin in my books. Then there are about 8-10 midfielders who are all in the same bracket (Swan, Pendlebury, Watson, Cotchin, Thompson, Mitchell, Judd, Murphy, Swallow, Dangerfield, Selwood).
Cool so Cotchin is better if we ignore Pendlebury career and Watsons first half of 2012.
Oh and Essendon started losing games and Watsons vote scoring decreased. Maybe there's a link? Wonder if anyone has noticed that before.

Cool so Cotchin is better if we ignore Pendlebury career and Watsons first half of 2012.
Oh and Essendon started losing games and Watsons vote scoring decreased. Maybe there's a link? Wonder if anyone has noticed that before.

This is what I am saying... people over-rating Cotchin based on small amounts of data.

No. He is an out and out gun. I would even trade Karnezis for him ;).

Ironically, I'd suggest he's being over rated in this thread.

Watson, Abblett, pendlebury, swan, Mitchell, JP Kennedy, dangerfield, all ahead surely, and possibly more.

Mate - you are entitled to your opinion but IMO, Ablett and Pendlebury are top of the list in that order closely followed by Cotchin and then Murphy. Murphy is the seriously underrated player. The others follow in whatever order. If Cotchin plays to his 2012 level (or improves), he joins the top 2.

There seems to be some serious bias from your end rating some of those players ahead of Cotchin. They are all seriously very good players but to put them ahead of such a young and still developing gun like Cotchin...hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back