Is Zac Clarke really doing as well as we think?

Remove this Banner Ad

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
In the press conference Lyon mentioned that neither Anthony nor Clarke was effective up forward and since Clarke was the backup ruck that Anthony was substituted out of the game.

Clarke had a moment of brilliance in the 3rd quarter where he swooped on the ball and kicked straight, but apart from that play he was relatively ineffective.

Clarke had 3 possessions, 1 mark, 1 clanger, 4 tackles and only 7 hitouts. I thought we missed Griffin's hardness around the contest when Clarke was in the ruck.

Prior to yesterday he was performing admirably, minimum of 11 possessions (11,15,16,18) was taking numerous marks (6,8,3,6) and had already kicked 5.3.

I'd back him to regain that form but everyone jumps on Anthony's back pretty quickly for an abysmal game, but he wasn't alone. I like Clarke and think he'll surpass Anthony as a forward and Griffin as a ruck. But at the minute Griffin is clearly a better ruckman and i'd be interested to see Griffin used up forward to see his effectiveness. I don't think he has the athleticism but he might surprise us.

Can we play a game with Sandilands, Griffin and Zac in the same team? Is Zac good enough up forward to hold his own purely as a forward?

Interesting selection committee meeting coming up.

I don't think we should write him off after one average game.

I used to enjoy the days where SCOS would pinch-hit in the ruck. Maybe he should come back in as a ruckman.

In the press conference Lyon mentioned that neither Anthony nor Clarke was effective up forward and since Clarke was the backup ruck that Anthony was substituted out of the game.

Clarke had a moment of brilliance in the 3rd quarter where he swooped on the ball and kicked straight, but apart from that play he was relatively ineffective.

Clarke had 3 possessions, 1 mark, 1 clanger, 4 tackles and only 7 hitouts. I thought we missed Griffin's hardness around the contest when Clarke was in the ruck.

Prior to yesterday he was performing admirably, minimum of 11 possessions (11,15,16,18) was taking numerous marks (6,8,3,6) and had already kicked 5.3.

I'd back him to regain that form but everyone jumps on Anthony's back pretty quickly for an abysmal game, but he wasn't alone. I like Clarke and think he'll surpass Anthony as a forward and Griffin as a ruck. But at the minute Griffin is clearly a better ruckman and i'd be interested to see Griffin used up forward to see his effectiveness. I don't think he has the athleticism but he might surprise us.

Can we play a game with Sandilands, Griffin and Zac in the same team? Is Zac good enough up forward to hold his own purely as a forward?

Interesting selection committee meeting coming up.

I actually think we should play all 3. Its obviously not working with JA and Kep - why not try all 3 of the big fellas and try to stretch the defenders. Then you can have the likes of Balla/Mayne/Neale/resting midfielder all roving off the big guys (including Pav)

I would actually like him to be part of a deeper, more attacking forward line with effective smalls at his feet, where the mids have the confidence and ability to kick to the contest knowing we'll take a grab or crumb a goal.
A forward line with Clarke/Sandi rotating at ff with perhaps a Walters/ crozier in one pocket and Ballantyne in the other, Pav and Mayne at HF with a Fyfe/Hill/Neale rotating through there actually makes more sense to me.

Neale is a genuine ball winning and clean using midfielder.

For mine we should start him next week and pull him off when he starts to blow up.

how good was that goal tho..

The good thing about zac is he rarely gets beaten. he can halve a contest and then compete at ground level or wrap them up.

all 3 of clarke griff sandi cant play in the same team. Griffin is pretty bad around the ground. He's like cam wood. People seriously overrate griffin.

Had an average game last night but overall his start to the season has been great and better than I expected. I don't think there's much to worry about. To me, he's been one of our better players so far this season and you can see that he'll continue to improve.

A lot of our players had a down night last night.

I know he only had nic natanui like stats (apart from hitouts).... but prior to this game he has been very good. definitely worth persisting with

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how this is an over reaction thread. Simply pointing out that Zac was just as dissapointing as Jack. Our whole forwardline underperformed except perhaps Mayne. Needs to be looked at, then again, they only got 37 entries into forward 50.

I would actually like him to be part of a deeper, more attacking forward line with effective smalls at his feet, where the mids have the confidence and ability to kick to the contest knowing we'll take a grab or crumb a goal.
A forward line with Clarke/Sandi rotating at ff with perhaps a Walters/ crozier in one pocket and Ballantyne in the other, Pav and Mayne at HF with a Fyfe/Hill/Neale rotating through there actually makes more sense to me.

Neale is a genuine ball winning and clean using midfielder.

For mine we should start him next week and pull him off when he starts to blow up.

Completely agree Lach I see this as our most effective forward set up.

Something like

HF: Mayne Pavlich Neale
F: Ballas Clarke Walters

Would have Mellington in there when fit with one of Neale/Walters being freed up to the midfield.

Not sure how this is an over reaction thread. Simply pointing out that Zac was just as dissapointing as Jack. Our whole forwardline underperformed except perhaps Mayne. Needs to be looked at, then again, they only got 37 entries into forward 50.
Anthony doesnt chase,or pressure,gives up in a tough situation ,cant clunk a mark ,panics with the ball, he must have played his last game in purple
Zac does everything Anthony doesnt

I don't see the need for the thread. Zac has been performing well this year and continues to show his incredible upside. While JA continues to show that he can get worse and worse and worse and worse. I said it before, but Clarke still needs more weight on his frame.

He has kicked the same amount of goals as Pavlich despite spending time in the ruck. The ruck setup on Friday night had Griffin taking the ruck contest and Zac coming in as a third man up for a fair portion of the game. So I would say he is working well as a forward.

My memory has been dulled by the disappointment of the loss, but somewhere in the game I have this recollection that Zach jumped over the heads of 2-3 of players and grabbed the mark of the night.

Completely agree Lach I see this as our most effective forward set up.

Something like

HF: Mayne Pavlich Neale
F: Ballas Clarke Walters

Would have Mellington in there when fit with one of Neale/Walters being freed up to the midfield.

wouldnt hold your breath on walters... im not sure you will ever see him in purple again. He has showed some ok form at wafl level, but something tells me that if you fall foul of ross with professionalism issues... it is a LONG way back... im tipping we wont see him and he will be delisted at the end of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Zac Clarke really doing as well as we think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back