Player Watch Isaac Quaynor

Remove this Banner Ad

Look no issues comparing footballers and how they play.

I mean Noble and Quaynor play a very similar style of penetrating football. Don't think Noble will have the baggage of not associating with "causes" and Dalai Lama.
Noble and IQ only play similar in attack. Their defensive play is nothing alike.

Similar to Lumumba, Quaynor is strong enough in the body to go with those taller than him but often faster than those he's matched up on, evidenced by his sound whooping of Cam Rayner. He provides a very similar aggressive pack-breaking runstyle, often through the corridor, and has a penetrating right foot. All similarities with Lumumba.

You're just looking for racism where there is none

Noble and IQ only play similar in attack. Their defensive play is nothing alike.

Similar to Lumumba, Quaynor is strong enough in the body to go with those taller than him but often faster than those he's matched up on, evidenced by his sound whooping of Cam Rayner. He provides a very similar aggressive pack-breaking runstyle, often through the corridor, and has a penetrating right foot. All similarities with Lumumba.

Lumumba also was no where near as fast and direct as Quaynor, often running himself into trouble and his kicks went as high as it went far compared to Quaynor who kicks flat bullets.

Again no issue with comparing football ability between Quaynor and Lumumba and any other footballer. The issue is associating him with those personal issues like "causes" and Dalai Lama. Completely irrelevant in the context of Quaynor and unnecessarily derogatory to Lumumba whilst we're in the midst of a racism investigation.

It's about just as relevant as bringing up Heath's ADD issues.

And doesn't have 'causes' or a burning desire to meet the Dali Lama.
Fine to have causes, it just takes judgement to determine whether they are becoming a distraction or detracting from your performance.

In Lumumba’s case, it’s hard even to classify it as a distraction, as racism was inarguably endemic at Collingwood and needed to be addressed somehow...

I don’t think any less of Colin Kaepernick for having a “cause”. Quite the opposite.

I don’t know if I’m in my own, but I’m tired of the similarities between Isaac and Herritier. There is nothing the same, Isaac has poise and is a beautiful kick, Herritier had one speed flat out. They don’t move the same, body shape is completely different. Go watch some footage of Herritier, there is no comparison.

He has two brothers? are they any good?
He's the oldest of 6 siblings, and he has three brothers (one half-brother, not sure on which side). Not sure the age of them, but they all seem to be part of our NGA. Whether the rule changes to the NGA hurts our ability to get them is another question

Would like to see him eventually play higher up but think the back 6 is literally the only thing to have gone right for us this year. We’d be fools to tinker with it at this point

Happy for Isaac to have another year or two of development down back before seeing what else he is capable of

Just calling out a bit of racism here. You probably don't mean it but no reason to compare him with Lumumba.

Quaynor looks like a really promising talent.
Hardly racist when he’s been compared non stop to Harry throughout the year

Which I don’t see the similarities anyway. Harry was a hack kick. Could do a mean side step but crumbled one on one and really didn’t have the blistering speed Quaynor has.

would nearly have though Leon was the better comparison. People forget how good Leon was down back.

Which I don’t see the similarities anyway. Harry was a hack kick. Could do a mean side step but crumbled one on one and really didn’t have the blistering speed Quaynor has.

would nearly have though Leon was the better comparison. People forget how good Leon was down back.

I think people remember how good Davis was down back, and that is why they don't compare him to IQ. Noble is playing more of a Davis brand of small defender than IQ - very attacking, good kick both sides (although Noble shanks them a bit at the moment). IQ is more like Lumumba (although a better kick). I don't see him with 'blistering pace' as described above, but good pace, not always certain when running with the ball, but a good defender.

Harry is very underrated on this board.
Certainly didn't crumble one on one and did have the speed of Quaynor.

The comparisons are about race, but aren't necessarily racist. Like Quaynor, Harry had a very rare speed and strength combination - rare in Caucasian athletes anyway. Not so rare in athletes with West African heritage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just calling out a bit of racism here. You probably don't mean it but no reason to compare him with Lumumba.

Quaynor looks like a really promising talent.
You’re the only one who mentioned his race.

His play style is very similar to H, but with the added bonus of composure and good decision making.

You’re the only one who mentioned his race.

I'm just highlighting the subtle prejudices at play with Lumumba. Perhaps I should have better clarified in my original post that there's no reason to compare specifically with Lumumba's "personal issues". You can compare their playing styles all you like because they both played that defensive rebound role. How one has a more penetrating kick, how one is faster etc etc or even if you think they play exactly the same. No problems with that.

But what possible link is there between Lumumba's "support of causes or desire to meet the Dalai Lama" and Quaynor? Because they're both rebound defenders for Collingwood? Because they might have a similar running/kicking style? It might be worth asking why no one gives "props" to Noble or Maynard for not supporting "causes" but did so for Quaynor like it's some sort of stigma he has to overcome. The topic of whether supporting "causes" should even be seen as an issue is a whole other matter that I won't get into.

Again I'm not calling the original poster a racist or that it was intentional. Just trying to highlight some of the subtle prejudices we have as a club/society and hoping that with the whole BLM movement and our club's integrity review into our past, we can be better.

I'm just highlighting the subtle prejudices at play with Lumumba. Perhaps I should have better clarified in my original post that there's no reason to compare specifically with Lumumba's "personal issues". You can compare their playing styles all you like because they both played that defensive rebound role. How one has a more penetrating kick, how one is faster etc etc or even if you think they play exactly the same. No problems with that.

But what possible link is there between Lumumba's "support of causes or desire to meet the Dalai Lama" and Quaynor? Because they're both rebound defenders for Collingwood? Because they might have a similar running/kicking style? It might be worth asking why no one gives "props" to Noble or Maynard for not supporting "causes" but did so for Quaynor like it's some sort of stigma he has to overcome. The topic of whether supporting "causes" should even be seen as an issue is a whole other matter that I won't get into.

Again I'm not calling the original poster a racist or that it was intentional. Just trying to highlight some of the subtle prejudices we have as a club/society and hoping that with the whole BLM movement and our club's integrity review into our past, we can be better.
There have been constant comparisons of IQ and H’s playing style since he was drafted, even by IQ himself. Since those comparisons are being made it’s only natural to compare their off field antics too. None of that has anything to do with race. If IQ was a comparable type to H but his skin was white, olive, or any other colour for that matter, the off field comparisons would still be made. The only subtle prejudice I can see here is from the person who felt the need to bring race in to the conversation. Time to take a look in the mirror friend, we’re all people, skin colour is irrelevant in this conversation.

Have you forgotten 2010? Harry O had a blistering explosive pace off the 1st few steps and was VERY good 1 on 1.

Quaynor is quite similar in terms of his explosive acceleration and strong hips making him hard to tackle... I think Quaynor is shorter though, but a better kick.

I agree with posters that have highlighted the similar playing styles between the 2. That's open for all to see.

The instant that the conversation moved to H's "causes" or IQ's "lack of causes" then we can be seen to be playing the man.

One's "subtle prejudice" is another's "tenuous link". Let's keep it about the footy and we're good. :)

This thread after all is about IQ's awesomeness, or should be.

There is no link between Hs off field views and behaviour and Quaynors, well none that I know of anyway. The poster was having a go at H, he wasn't suggesting there was or should be a link. The two are often compared, one of the reasons is undoubtedly race, but also athletic traits, playing style, position. The poster was pointing out that the comparison doesn't hold off field and he was having a go at H and suggesting that he's glad their personalities arent similar.

Not sure why that is racist. .

Have you forgotten 2010? Harry O had a blistering explosive pace off the 1st few steps and was VERY good 1 on 1.

Quaynor is quite similar in terms of his explosive acceleration and strong hips making him hard to tackle... I think Quaynor is shorter though, but a better kick.

H is one of the best Collingwood players I have ever seen at winning the ground ball in a one on one contest and then being able to avoid a tackle and move the ball with a kick a handball or a run and bounce.

He had an uncanny knack of being able to read the bounce of the ball, position his body correctly, collect the ball with clean hands, and find an exit.

Any comparisons to IQ are complimentary and stop at game style.... and the fact that fans love to refer to them both by their initials.

Last edited:

Other than the L v R foot difference, IQ reminds me a bit of Crosisca but H is a very good comparison as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Isaac Quaynor