I've figured it out.. our game plan!

Remove this Banner Ad

jj1978

Brownlow Medallist
May 11, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Our last 3 wins have finally indicated to me what our game plan is...

For the first half we just contain contain contain, wear the opposition out trying to kick goals and sure they'll go into half time with a lead (I think the idea is it not to be 4-5 goals) but they'll (opposition) will be exhausted getting that lead...

Then come the second half... BAM! We explode!

I seriously can't believe our comeback of late can't be a sign of anything except pre-determined, pre-planned preperation!

GO BLUES!

ps: We all need to call into KB tomorrow morning on SEN!

We are truly a very interesting team.

Can do things so badly, can do things so brilliantly. When our intensity lifts, even all the little things like shepherding and judging the bounce of the ball all improve off the chart from what we displayed beforehand.

I'm young but even I'm worried this team will cause me a heart attack!
:hearts: them though.

Would be an interesting game plan. Certainly it hasn't worked against Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Sydney, Fremantle, Bulldogs, or North this year.

Even the football media have a hard time knowing what our game plan is supposed to be. All we know is that we frequently don't follow it.

I think jj1978's theory is probably correct... because we don't really have a bunch of strong contested marks the whole boundaryline thing doesn't work for us, unless we just want to force a stoppage.

Likewise, our plan A (whatever that is) is totally ineffective.

So... we need the game to slow down before our plan B kicks-in, which is to move the ball on quickly to players on the spread.

Unfortunately this is not a very sound long-term strategy and I think the coaching panel are going to be busy over summer.

Alternatively the team could just play well for 4 quarters?

Yeah Only works against teams we could outlast in the fitness Department. wouldn't try our luck against Top 4 teams. If sydney played like they played on Friday Night we could beat them. But Freo would punish Us if we use this Strategy they are arguably the fittest team in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kruezer will be all the better player for the different roles MM is setting him to do. We are starting to see the method in his madness. He's creating some real flexibility in players that were once one trick pony's and ultimately greater team flexibility.

Is it possible that we aren't actually fit enough to play Mick's style for a whole game so we purposely try and just absorb/limit the damage at the start so we can finish strong?

Noticed today what we were doing at kickouts. Almost every time we'd play on to the right, run it 20 metres and bomb it to the wing. So basic. So effective.

I will have to watch the replay to believe it was effective. During game I could not believe we did not have a better way to keep possession.

I reckon its Malthouse genius. He puts his pieces where he thinks they are supposed to go, and all he asks his players to do is to hang tough, believe, weather the storm and eventually everything will click. Malthouse is moving players around, changing match ups, player positions, and once he finds the formula we will kick 4-5 goals in as many minutes. Things dont just turn around mid game for teams, something triggers it. We arent an inspired team where someone does something courageous and everyone lifts. We are a team that senses the click, smells blood in the water and goes for the jugular. Im going to watch over on the game again, but I guarantee you this is it. We saw it last week with Port. The only thing is whether Mick can find the combination (or what has been the case until the last two weeks, our side can stay in touch long enough and show enough faith in the game plan) in time for us to mount the challenge. And soon enough we will have it right from the outset. But both games being last week and today we saw that we were able to mount our comeback and be level pegging with 15 minutes to go into the last, which is plenty of time.

It is exactly what happened with the Dockers last year. I think the last two weeks the players have well and truly bought into the Malthouse game plan and strategy and they really do #believe.

Mick said in the press conference that he thought that some of the Tigers players and played their lot in the first half. I wonder if there isnt a little bit of ropeadope in that. Is he making these teams spend their tickets early and he already has his thoughts about his chess moves so when he presses a button the other team isnt ready and they go whack?!

There was always going to be growing pains learning a new gameplan. In fact it probably won't be till next year that it is fully implemented. We're always learning learning learning. Some weeding will be done at end of the year and the plants will start to bloom.

Enjoying the see ball, get ball, give ball of the second half in the last few weeks. Don't think some of the players have the capacity to follow the first half game plan too well at the moment. That said, if we run and gun for the whole game we will run out of legs too quickly. Its a balance at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

I've figured it out.. our game plan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back