Roast I've lost my faith in Chris Davies

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is this thread reminding me of Choco's infamous `heads will roll ' comment after the 2007 gf debacle, and all that happened was our best tall defender Daryl Wakelin retired, and we traded a fringe player whose name I have forgotten to the fruit tingles? :rolleyes:

Kochie has of course matched that with his `I want to make Ken Hinkley a 10 year coach,' followed by something along the lines of, `come and tell us if you don't want to play in a successful final's team!' o_O

Maybe our motto should be, we exist for the hierarchy to sprout out silly one liners. :think:

Getting back on topic re Chris Davies, I doubt he has any responsibility for eg the un-necessary coaching contract extensions the club throws around like confetti at a wedding, but the lack of an experienced back up ruckman should probably fall squarely on his shoulders.

Why is this thread reminding me of Choco's infamous `heads will roll ' comment after the 2007 gf debacle, and all that happened was our best tall defender Daryl Wakelin retired, and we traded a fringe player whose name I have forgotten to the fruit tingles? :rolleyes:

Kochie has of course matched that with his `I want to make Ken Hinkley a 10 year coach,' followed by something along the lines of, `come and tell us if you don't want to play in a successful final's team!' o_O

Maybe our motto should be, we exist for the hierarchy to sprout out silly one liners. :think:

Getting back on topic re Chris Davies, I doubt he has any responsibility for eg the un-necessary coaching contract extensions the club throws around like confetti at a wedding, but the lack of an experienced back up ruckman should probably fall squarely on his shoulders.

Not sure I can agree with you on this part '54. Surely a person charged with the managment and accountability of a section of any business would have extensive input into who is employed at any level within their section. The point being why have a 'manager' there in the first place if those above them make all the appointments.

Not sure I can agree with you on this part '54. Surely a person charged with the managment and accountability of a section of any business would have extensive input into who is employed at any level within their section. The point being why have a 'manager' there in the first place if those above them make all the appointments.
There is a reason why this thread is under the tag "Strategy" and not "Scape Goat" nor "Roast". Perhaps, we are not giving Davies the autonomy necessary to do his job. I don't know...

I would like to know.

---

There is a principle in the Science of Business Administration which states that "in a company, qualified people tend to be promoted up to the position right above their limit of competence". There is an assumption that qualified people must be promoted, which leads moving them up the chain until they become unqualified — when they stop being promoted.

This makes a company ending up with unqualified people in every position! I wonder whether our club has fallen into this corporative trap...

Last edited:

Fair point RJ. :thumbsu:

Chris Davies has nothing to do with game plan, team selection / structure.
If he is Hinkley's superior, he has something to do with those. CD would be the guy in charge of holding Hinkley accountable for coaching decisions; of making sure that eventual mistakes wouldn't be repeated.

Our issue isn’t drafting or recruitment.
Probably, but I would rather not leave any stone unturned.

However Chris could be partly responsible for the signing of Voss for another 2 years
Among other things...

First, I want to know whether he is responsible for coordinating the whole of our football operations. If he is not, then, why not?

If he is the head of football, it should be his fault. Hinkley responds to whom?

Football is not working as it should. If there is no one directly responsible for it; then, it is time to assign someone for the task — exclusively.
Hinkley reports to the head of football - Chris Davies. That was part of the realignment of the club post 2014. KT was hands on the first few years but as we got to AO, beefed up the football department, got new resources, Burgo set up his division, grew the community programs, grew China stuff, grew corporates etc, divisional general managers were given more responsibility and KT concentrates on the business of the club and Davies has more responsibilities for the football division.

Hinkley reports to the head of football - Chris Davies. That was part of the realignment of the club post 2014. KT was hands on the first few years but as we got to AO, beefed up the football department, got new resources, Burgo set up his division, grew the community programs, grew China stuff, grew corporates etc, divisional general managers were given more responsibility and KT concentrates on the business of the club and Davies has more responsibilities for the football division.
Then, this thread was long overdue...

I'm sure once we miss the finals we'll hear how KT or Davies is doing this or that and the club will release some footage of someone in authority talking to the players and/or coaches and saying tough, harsh words like "we know who you are" and come beginning of the pre-season everything will have been forgotten and we'll go on from there.
WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE ... AARON GREAVES ... and ... um ... ahh ... err ...

That maybe be so but CD would have had SFA influence over the Hinkley extension ... that would've been hammered over the weekend between Ken (Donna), KT, and Koch with Davies told the result.

There is a principle in the Science of Business Administration which states that "in a company, qualified people tend to be promoted up to the position right above their limit of competence". There is an assumption that qualified people must be promoted, which leads moving them up the chain until they become unqualified — when they stop being promoted.
The Peter Principle.

That maybe be so but CD would have had SFA influence over the Hinkley extension ... that would've been hammered over the weekend between Ken (Donna), KT, and Koch with Davies told the result.
Davies visited the house apparently with the rest of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bullshit !! Years of failure mate cmon wake up. Enough excuses we’ve had enough !!

Old mate was pulling the same apologistic delusions after they beat us under frighteningly similar circumstances around this time last year.

It's... weird.

You are grasping at straws which shld be banned;
Wc have on field kennedy, nic nat, gaff they win
Power ryder, dixon houston play out game we win last night

What is the logic in turning to davies

They burnt people in the middle ages with more so called evidence of the time, that this thread involves.

Reeks of mcarthism if you need a more recent historical example.
We could field the AA team and still find ways to lose.
We will never win any ribbons whilst we have high quality cream on top of a cake that is well below average. That cannot be put down to players and someone has to take responsibility. If the coaching mix is not right then that person has to be the one in charge of football operations.
If footy ops manager is a toothless tiger role then it has to be KT, but it has to be someone. We are poop and we shouldn't be.

We could field the AA team and still find ways to lose.
We will never win any ribbons whilst we have high quality cream on top of a cake that is well below average. That cannot be put down to players and someone has to take responsibility. If the coaching mix is not right then that person has to be the one in charge of football operations.
If footy ops manager is a toothless tiger role then it has to be KT, but it has to be someone. We are poop and we shouldn't be.

I’ve been saying for a few years now, Hinkley couldn’t coach the AA team to a flag.

Minor role, but bad look.

It's not just a bad look, it's a ****ing terrible look. We're supposed to be a multi-million dollar professional sporting organisation committed to the highest level of excellence, but we go around giving jobs for the boyz and shuffling roles to avoid firing anyone like we're a 1960s bush league run off the small change of mum'n'pops weekend sausage sizzle.

There's a real matesy vibe at Port right now, a lack of accountability at all levels and a chumminess that extends right from "Casual" Keith and Kochy drunkenly hamming it up for the tv cameras, to the nepotistic Hinkley jr hiring and Lade returning to a cushy job with apparently minimal KPIs and no demonstration that he's actually the best person for the job.

There's no ruthlessness to be found anywhere.

It's not just a bad look, it's a ******* terrible look. We're supposed to be a multi-million dollar professional sporting organisation committed to the highest level of excellence, but we go around giving jobs for the boyz and shuffling roles to avoid firing anyone like we're a 1960s bush league run off the small change of mum'n'pops weekend sausage sizzle.

There's a real matesy vibe at Port right now, a lack of accountability at all levels and a chumminess that extends right from "Casual" Keith and Kochy drunkenly hamming it up for the tv cameras, to the nepotistic Hinkley jr hiring and Lade returning to a cushy job with apparently minimal KPIs and no demonstration that he's actually the best person for the job.

There's no ruthlessness to be found anywhere.

Wrong thread but Hinkley's daughter does/ has worked for the club in some role too hasn't she?? Taking the family club mantra to new extremes! All very cozy for those in the inner circle at Alberton by the looks of things!

Wrong thread but Hinkley's daughter does/ has worked for the club in some role too hasn't she?? Taking the family club mantra to new extremes! All very cozy for those in the inner circle at Alberton by the looks of things!

Nothing wrong with getting them involved, but giving them a game day role simply that they are incapable (if he is capable and has earned it id gladly take it back) of preforming because daddy is coach is totally unacceptable and cannot be allowed ????

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast I've lost my faith in Chris Davies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back