Roast I've lost my faith in Chris Davies

Remove this Banner Ad

Apart from Rockliff's contract looking every bit like Dale Thomas' at Carlton right now.
Too soon. I still think our Summer was good, although RussellEbertHandball was right on our lack of back-up ruckmen.

Our physical preparation seems to have failed too, but no one is talking about it apparently.

Too soon. I still think our Summer was good, although RussellEbertHandball was right on our lack of back-up ruckmen.

Our physical preparation seems to have failed too, but no one is talking about it apparently.

He turns 29 in February and is light years away from the All-Australian calibre midfielder he was.

Has an ongoing shoulder issue and would just about be the slowest player on the list.

3 more years @ approximately $700k pa.

A full preseason will help, but it's just that, not a genie lamp.

He turns 29 in February and is light years away from the All-Australian calibre midfielder he was.

Has an ongoing shoulder issue and would just about be the slowest player on the list.

3 more years @ approximately $700k pa.

A full preseason will help, but it's just that, not a genie lamp.
The key is that it wasn't only him. Our players are exhausted.

Rockliff was supposed to improve our leadership and our smarts. Any hiring has risks. One can do the right move and still fail.

The key is that it wasn't only him. Our players are exhausted.

Rockliff was supposed to improve our leadership and our smarts. Any hiring has risks. One can do the right move and still fail.
In the 1980's a sugar refinery company used to run ads that had a catch line - sugar a natural part of life. I suspect the big Brasilian sugar industry has run something similar.

20 years ago I adopted that to - failure is a natural part of success - which is what I reckon your last sentence is saying.

The trouble for us Port supporters who grew up with all that SANFL success, and then early success in the AFL - ok winning only 1 premiership but winning 16 to 18 games before the finals, we saw a lot more success than failure.

It now has gotten to the stage where we have seen too much failure and very little success, so now we judge failure with having nothing to do with success.

If there was anyone who should have played modified game time it would be Rockliff. Stick him in the guts and get him to focus on winning clearances and stoppages by going at 100% in bursts.

In the 1980's a sugar refinery company used to run ads that had a catch line - sugar a natural part of life. I suspect the big Brasilian sugar industry has run something similar.

20 years ago I adopted that to - failure is a natural part of success - which is what I reckon your last sentence is saying.

The trouble for us Port supporters who grew up with all that SANFL success, and then early success in the AFL - ok winning only 1 premiership but winning 16 to 18 games before the finals, we saw a lot more success than failure.

It now has gotten to the stage where we have seen too much failure and very little success, so now we judge failure with having nothing to do with success.
You made me remind this ad:

If there was anyone who should have played modified game time it would be Rockliff. Stick him in the guts and get him to focus on winning clearances and stoppages by going at 100% in bursts.

Yeah, I'm not saying he's a lost cause. But let's face it, Year 1 has been a colossal bust.

Needs a massive preseason.

I wonder whether Hinkley wouldn't be a better Head-of-Football for us, leaving Davies as list manager. We would need a new head coach, at minimum, though.

To win a premiership a lot of things have to be put in place.
Recruiting has improved in hinkley era
Competiveness has improved
Coaching has been ok
We have been around the place with tastes of disappointment
Can i see a premiership around the corner. Probably not.
What i know is that hinkley will coach us next year
We can be better nexy year with hartlet, drew, marshall and a real pity hayes and knee.
I will be a memer next year
Thats it
Thanks Chris

To win a premiership a lot of things have to be put in place.
Recruiting has improved in hinkley era
Competiveness has improved
Coaching has been ok
We have been around the place with tastes of disappointment
Can i see a premiership around the corner. Probably not.
What i know is that hinkley will coach us next year
We can be better nexy year with hartlet, drew, marshall and a real pity hayes and knee.
I will be a memer next year
Thats it

Smartness has dived.

Recruitment had improved.

Management of the list is beginning to be a concern.

If a premiership is not around the corner than it's cause for change.

Hinkley won't deliver success but he will make good blokes of our players ... thumbs up to a proud community.

Blimey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we see “unusual” amounts of failure - by the lofty standards of those who grew up with our SANFL dominance - we tend to equate that with “not learning from failure”.

It’s a long winded way of saying “melt”.

Minor point compared to our footy issues but I think our supporters also need to learn a little from failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should have a really smart football person in this role. Isn't this Neil Balme's job at Richmond?

You need someone there with AFL credibility and distance from the old mate's club who you believe when he says he's going to do a review. Dare I say a Bob McLean type?

We should have a really smart football person in this role. Isn't this Neil Balme's job at Richmond?

You need someone there with AFL credibility and distance from the old mate's club who you believe when he says he's going to do a review. Dare I say a Bob McLean type?
Someone to put the entire football department on the same page and to hold the bosses accountable. It certainly seemed that list management, analytics, physical, medical, and coaching weren't or stopped moving in the same direction this season.

This is, or should be, Chris Davies' responsibility. Moreover, he is in charge since 2014. When was our last great season again?

---

Just saw that we were 6-9 in 2015, before winning 6 of our last 7 games. It was too little too late for us, but must have brought a feel-good feeling into the off-season — the opposite of 2018.

---

2013: 11-7 after winning the Showdown; finished 1-3 for a 12-10 record. (eliminated in SF)
2016: 50% footy until 9-9; finished 1-3 for a 10-12 record. (no Finals)

Last edited:
Why are we blaming chris Davies? There’s nothing wrong with our list.
Is he our 'List Manager' or our 'Head-of-Football'? As "List Manager," his work would be fine, indeed; however, our football seems absolutely headless right now.

Why are we blaming chris Davies? There’s nothing wrong with our list.

Because he is ultimately accountable for the performance of our football department, not just recruiting.

I mean recruiting is about all he's seemed good at so far but right now that's looking questionable too.

Given we're locked into Hinkley, Davies is the man we should be moving on. We need to target someone with genuine AFL success and credibility for this role to keep Ken honest.

This is more important than any senior (or other) assistant coaching appointments.

Davies and Cripps need to take responsibility for this debarcle. Recruitment and list management has been poor. Going in with only 1 ruckman capable of playing at afl level football for the 2018 season was a disgrace. The recruitment of Thomas and Mckenzie was pathetic. Season 2018 has been a wasted year.

Davies and Cripps need to take responsibility for this debarcle. Recruitment and list management has been poor. Going in with only 1 ruckman capable of playing at afl level football for the 2018 season was a disgrace. The recruitment of Thomas and Mckenzie was pathetic. Season 2018 has been a wasted year.

Thomas rookie pick, Mckenzie delisted free agent. So both a free swing without anything valuable away.

Thomas rookie pick, Mckenzie delisted free agent. So both a free swing without anything valuable away.
Decisions must be valued at the time they were taken, not against their actual outcome with the benefit of hindsight.

Our worst decision was not bringing a ruckman, while picking either Barry or Garner.

Take this from an outsider. You play reactive football. You rely on the opposition making mistakes then you pounce. That will work against half the teams in the competition but not the best teams. My view is you have a wonderful midfield, a freak in Paddy Ryder who can play on one leg, a defence that relies on Jonas too much and a forward line depending too much on Dixon.

I think you were extremely unlucky when you ran Hawthorn to a goal in the preliminary final back in 2013. There was a premiership beckoning if you had won that. Then there was there was the 12 month suspension of Paddy Ryder which was a major injustice in my view.

There's nothing you can do about the past. You need to play more proactive risk taking footy where you rely on your judgement and don't die wondering. That's not a coaching or club personality issue. That's purely a playing issue on the field. Win next week and make the finals is the aim. Maybe we meet again in the finals. Both our clubs have a lot of work to do to bridge the gap that Richmond have opened up on us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast I've lost my faith in Chris Davies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back