Roast I've lost my faith in Chris Davies

Remove this Banner Ad

Essentially all he does is manage contracts. Who knows who really runs football operations at Port.

His role is actually incredibly diverse. Know of a case where he personally cancelled some player-billeting contracts, etc.

Very good in the presser today.

If his actions match his words he is definitely part of the solution not the problem.

It's time for the off field version on the Summer of George!

Perhaps time for a thread title change?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

We've had words for the past 3 or 4 years. Once I see solid sensible action to our backend I'll begin to regain a bit of faith.

Page 5 is very similar to Page 1. People should read the thread, it would help. We keep answering the same questions!

Nothing should be off-limits, but I don't think your examples would be Davies' worst mistakes. I actually don't think they were mistakes at all...

Nothing should be off-limits, but I don't think your examples would be Davies' worst mistakes. I actually don't think they were mistakes at all...

Well, the jury's going to be out for awhile yet. But in roundball parlance, Rockvies is 0-2 down after 22.5 minutes.

Well, the jury's going to be out for awhile yet. But in roundball parlance, Rockvies is 0-2 down after 22.5 minutes.
The key is that it was the right move when it was done. Rockliff can become a complete bust, but it wouldn't mean that Davies was wrong.

Does CD follow KH in regards to list management? i.e. the ruck situation

Or the other way around?

Given the amount of money we pay Hinkley and the onus we put on results I think Ken would have the major say in who we recruit to our list. I do not think we would have gone into 2018 with only one AFL ready ruckman if Hinkley didn't think he could get away with it. After the end of season review and the exit interviews I think Davies would probably get a shopping list off Ken and it would then be up to him, Parker and Cripps to do the deals. I do not think any AFL Coach would hang around if he was given a list over which he had no control.

GremioPower here is something to ponder.

The local A League club Adelaide United (AU) has just appointed their ex coach as Director of Football ie the equivalent of Port's General Manager of Football Operations role.

Aurelio Vidmar was coach of AU between 2007-10. He started off as an 18 year old with Adelaide City in the old National Soccer League back in 1985 and played 6 years there before playing for a handful of clubs in Europe including Feynord and came back and played for Adelaide City 1999-2003. They folded, well not folded gone forever, but left the NSL as could not afford to maintain a team in the league, and returned to the state league. Adelaide United was formed and they played the 2003-04 season in the old NSL, Vidmar was captain, then there was no national league in 2004-05 as the game restructured in Oz and in 2005-06 he was appointed assistant coach for Adelaide United in the first year of A League as a 38-39 year old, after deciding at the last minute to retire just before the season kicked off, and next year took over as coach. He played 44 times for Australia.

His brother Tony was a better player, was 3 year younger, started off playing for Adelaide City when he was 19, spent a decade from 1995 in Europe playing for a handful of clubs came back to Oz at the start of the new A League, played a few years for Central Coast Mariners in Gosford which is about 80kms from Sydney and almost a very outer suburb of Sydney as people do live there and catch the train or drive to Sydney and he played 76 times for Australia including world cup in Germany in 2006.

I'm giving you the background to show that an old player, an international player and old coach of AU has been appointed their director of football. So he knows the game. Will there be a conflict of interest with the coach?? Who knows but compare him to Chris Davies, who played junior football and state cricket which is considered the best domestic competition in the world, never played SANFL level football, let alone AFL, was a senior manager at the Australian Cricketers Association for a few years, then CEO of Woodville-West Torrens in the SANFL for 4 or 5 years and then GM Football Operations at the SANFL for 2 or 3 years.

So he has administration experience, but didnt play the sport at a high level, but played sport - cricket at a national level but not the international level. Vidmar played soccer at national and international level and has coached at national level and been an assistant coach at international level. Who is better to run the football program of either club?? Time will tell and in particular if the current coach Marco Kurz, who has played and coached in the Bundesliga, will they clash or will they respect each others position but have robust discussions?? I will watch with interest.

Vidmar is also famous for labeling Adelaide a pissant town - but he was more referring to journalists and people in higher places in soccer in Adelaide, but it stuck that he labelled the whole town, a pissant town.

I assume similar things happen regularly in Brasilian and South American football as well as Euro football.

But its not very common happening in Australian Football. Neil Balme who coached in the SANFL for 12 or 13 years and won a couple premierships at Norwood and then coached Melbourne for 5 seasons 1993-97, is really the only ex AFL coach who has taken that position.

In the famous 2006 Geelong Review that I know you read my post I made back in 2008 when I copied the letter of what the Geelong CEO wrote to his members in 2006 - cut and pasting from the Geelong board 2 years later when Port did their review and I compared the two - the major Geelong recommendation was to appoint a GM Football Operations. He was appointed at the end of 2006 and left at end of 2014, helping Geelong win 3 premierships make the 2008 GF and 2 more Preliminary finals and 2 more finals series. He goes to Collingwood at end of 2014, Geelong miss finals in 2015 for first time since 2006, he goes back and works at Collingwood where he worked as GM Football Operations between 2000-2006 and then in September 2016 after Richmond have a disaster year (like Geelong's 2006) he is appointed GM Football Operations at Richmond, where he played 160 games in the 1970's and they won a premiership and look like winning another one this year.

So I now get why you started this thread.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/footb...o/news-story/681add20832e3064979c72ac532f20d1
AURELIO Vidmar is returning to Adelaide United as the A-League club’s director of football.

And the Reds have appointed Nathan Kosmina, son of ex-coach John Kosmina, as chief executive officer after being acting CEO for the past year. Vidmar was Adelaide’s inaugural captain and also the Reds’ coach from 2007-10 before joining the Australian set-up, where he had stints as a Socceroos assistant and coach of the under-23 national team. “It means a lot (to come back), it has been a massive part of my playing and coaching career,” Vidmar told reporters on Wednesday. “I’m very pleased. Obviously it’s going to be a big challenge but nothing that hasn’t been thrown my way in the past.” Vidmar was most recently manager of Bangkok Glass in Thailand in 2016-17 but said he had no ambition to again coach the Reds.

“That is definitely not going to happen while I’m in this role,” he said. “I have to make that crystal clear, it won’t happen.” Vidmar infamously described Adelaide as a “piss-ant town” after coaching United to a 2009 A-League semi-final loss, saying at the time the club was riddled with internal politics and hidden agendas. “You had to bring it up,” Vidmar said on Wednesday. “What is extremely important is that there is football people here now and that is exciting. “The board is extremely impressive and just with views and discussions I have had over the last couple of weeks has convinced me enough to say that the club is heading in the right direction.” Vidmar said his role would encompass United’s men’s, women’s, youth and academy teams.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/footb...o/news-story/681add20832e3064979c72ac532f20d1

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GremioPower here is something to ponder.

The local A League club Adelaide United (AU) has just appointed their ex coach as Director of Football ie the equivalent of Port's General Manager of Football Operations role.

Aurelio Vidmar was coach of AU between 2007-10. He started off as an 18 year old with Adelaide City in the old National Soccer League when he was 18 back in 1985 and played 6 years there before playing for a handful of clubs in Europe including Feynord and came back and played for Adelaide City 1999-2003. They folded well not folded gone forever, but left the NSL as could afford to maintain a team in the league, and returned to the state league. Adelaide United was formed and they played the 2003-04 season in the old NSL, then there was no national league in 2004-05 as the game restructured in Oz and in 2005-06 he was appointed assistant coach for Adelaide United in the first year of A League as a 38-39 year old, after deciding at the last minute to retire just before the season kicked off, and next year took over as coach. He played 44 times for Australia.

His brother Tony was a better player, was 3 year younger, started off playing for Adelaide City when he was 19, spent a decade from 1995 in Europe playing for a handful of clubs came back to Oz at the start of the new A League, played a few years for Central Coast Mariners in Gosford which is about 80kms from Sydney and almost a very outer suburb of Sydney as people do live there and catch the train or drive to Sydney and he played 76 times for Australia including world cup in Germany in 2006.

I'm giving you the background to show that an old player, an international player and old coach of AU has been appointed their director of football. So he knows the game. Will there be a conflict of interest with the coach?? Who knows but compare him to Chris Davies, who played junior football and state cricket which is considered the best domestic competition in the world, never played SANFL level football, let alone AFL, was a senior manager at the Australian Cricketers Association for a few years, then CEO of Woodville-West Torrens in the SANFL for 4 or 5 years and then GM Football Operations at the SANFL for 2 or 3 years.

So he has administration experience, but didnt play the sport at a high level, but played sport - cricket at a national level but not the international level. Vidmar played soccer at national and international level and has coached at national level and been an assistant coach at international level. Who is better to run the football program of either club?? Time will tell and in particular if the current coach Marco Kurz, who has played and coached in the Bundesliga, will they clash or will they respect each others position but have robust discussions?? I will watch with interest.

Vidmar is also famous for labeling Adelaide a pissant town - but he was more referring to journalists and people in higher places in soccer in Adelaide, but it stuck that he labelled the whole town, a pissant town.

I assume similar things happen regularly in Brasilian and South American football as well as Euro football.

But its not very common happening in Australian Football. Neil Balme who coached in the SANFL for 12 or 13 years and won a couple premierships at Norwood and then coached Melbourne for 5 seasons 1993-97, is really the only ex AFL coach who has taken that position.

In the famous 2006 Geelong Review that I know you read my post (and pasted it in the Koch review thread) I made back in 2008 when I copied the letter of what the Geelong CEO wrote to his members in 2006 - cut and pasting from the Geelong board 2 years later when Port did their review and I compared the two - the major Geelong recommendation was to appoint a GM Football Operations. He was appointed at the end of 2006 and left at end of 2014, helping Geelong win 3 premierships make the 2008 GF and 2 more Preliminary finals and 2 more finals series. He goes to Collingwood at end of 2014, Geelong miss finals in 2015 for first time since 2006, he goes back and works at Collingwood where he worked as GM Football Operations between 2000-2006 and then in September 2016 after Richmond have a disaster year (like Geelong's 2006) he is appointed GM Football Operations at Richmond, where he played 160 games in the 1970's and they won a premiership and look like winning another one this year.

So I know get why you started this thread.

AURELIO Vidmar is returning to Adelaide United as the A-League club’s director of football.

And the Reds have appointed Nathan Kosmina, son of ex-coach John Kosmina, as chief executive officer after being acting CEO for the past year. Vidmar was Adelaide’s inaugural captain and also the Reds’ coach from 2007-10 before joining the Australian set-up, where he had stints as a Socceroos assistant and coach of the under-23 national team. “It means a lot (to come back), it has been a massive part of my playing and coaching career,” Vidmar told reporters on Wednesday. “I’m very pleased. Obviously it’s going to be a big challenge but nothing that hasn’t been thrown my way in the past.” Vidmar was most recently manager of Bangkok Glass in Thailand in 2016-17 but said he had no ambition to again coach the Reds.

“That is definitely not going to happen while I’m in this role,” he said. “I have to make that crystal clear, it won’t happen.” Vidmar infamously described Adelaide as a “piss-ant town” after coaching United to a 2009 A-League semi-final loss, saying at the time the club was riddled with internal politics and hidden agendas. “You had to bring it up,” Vidmar said on Wednesday. “What is extremely important is that there is football people here now and that is exciting. “The board is extremely impressive and just with views and discussions I have had over the last couple of weeks has convinced me enough to say that the club is heading in the right direction.” Vidmar said his role would encompass United’s men’s, women’s, youth and academy teams.

Davies can **** right of as head of football. Lets actually get someone who knows a thing or two about successful footy clubs and push Davies into somewhere he can do less damage because the football department has gone backwards under him.
I am more and more convinced we should make Hinkley our GM and get a new Senior Coach:
http://farwestfooty.blogspot.com/2018/09/the-riddle-of-sphinkley-ii-possible.html

I am more and more convinced we should make Hinkley our GM and get a new Senior Coach:
http://farwestfooty.blogspot.com/2018/09/the-riddle-of-sphinkley-ii-possible.html
I dont think Hinkley should be our GM Football Operations straight after his coaching stint finishes.

Vidmar spent 6 years as an assistant coach with the Socceroos as well as coaching the national U/20 and U/23 teams ie the Olympic games squad which we call the Olyroos. So he had time away from AU before he came back. Balme has never gone back to Melbourne and it was a 36 year gap between going back to Richmond as a administrator after being a player there.

Some people would like to see Mark Williams back at the club in some role - others dont want Choco anywhere near the club. I think Hinkley will split supporters opinion in a similar manner after he finishes up as coach.

I dont think Hinkley should be our GM Football Operations straight after his coaching stint finishes.

Vidmar spent 6 years as an assistant coach with the Socceroos as well as coaching the national U/20 and U/23 teams ie the Olympic games squad which we call the Olyroos. So he had time away from AU before he came back. Balme has never gone back to Melbourne and it was a 36 year gap between going back to Richmond as a administrator after being a player there.

Some people would like to see Mark Williams back at the club in some role - others dont want Choco anywhere near the club. I think Hinkley will split supporters opinion in a similar manner after he finishes up as coach.
I will politely disagree. I mean it now. I would do it immediately. My assumption is that he already is our GM, but that the role is intertwined with coaching (like it was at Geelong).

I believe Hinkley should pick one role and leave the other to someone else. For many reasons, my opinion is that the managerial position would suit him better.

Davies can **** right of as head of football. Lets actually get someone who knows a thing or two about successful footy clubs and push Davies into somewhere he can do less damage because the football department has gone backwards under him.

Could be worse. At least you don't have Burton.

Feel like this thread needs more love. Way out of his depth!

Been in charge of the football department since the end of 2014...not much good has happened since then.
Good bump.

Realistically, if you look at all our deals we've overpaid and under received in trades for years.

The one thing we've done well is lure players and secure FAs but that won't continue at the current rate.

Feel like this thread needs more love. Way out of his depth!

Been in charge of the football department since the end of 2014...not much good has happened since then.

Started with giving Matthew Lobbe a lifetime contract despite Ryder coming in, so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast I've lost my faith in Chris Davies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back