Toast Izak Rankine off to Adelaide. Pick 5 obtained as expected

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmm, I once went for a walk in Rundle mall and as I enjoyed watching the sullen inhabitants with dull eyes and translucent skin rolling barrels to their cars I looked up at the low grey skies and was glad I didn’t have a knife or rope with me. As I continued my walk I came past some ladies of the night offering $2 salad tossing and a 50% discount if you had a coupon from the dole office, i thought about it as they looked like they hadn’t eaten all day and didn’t wish to offend if it was a local custom.

As I politely declined I had my wallet stolen by a homeless guy wearing one shoe. Luckily as I chased he lost balance on a piece of frozen ground and fell long enough for me to retrieve my wallet. Feeling sorry for him I asked if he had lost a shoe to which he smiled a toothless smile and stated “ nah, he’d found one on a corpse his Mum was having a conversation with in the next alley”

Enjoy Radelaide Izak, think of the stories you will be able to tell

Leak it to the media
It's already been in the HS.
When an article says "he has complicated family relationships back in SA" how bad do you think that is?
And when a coach states in Press Conference a few days ago "we know the place for Izak to LIVE and PLAY FOOTY is the GC. Would that not speak volumes.

Last edited:

It's already been in the HS.
When an article says "he has complicated family relationships back in SA" how bad do you think that is?
And when a coach states in Press Conference a few days ago "we know the place for Izak to LIVE and PLAY FOOTY is the GC. Would that not speak volumes.
People want to know gory details. It pisses me off that some Crows people say Izak is lonely, missing family support and guidance, unhappy on GC, let him go home.

People want to know gory details. It pisses me off that some Crows people say Izak is lonely, missing family support and guidance, unhappy on GC, let him go home.
I don't know details l just know they have done a lot to help him.
Could you not sense the air of disbelief in Dews voice when he said "we know the best place for Izak to LIVE and PLAY FOOTY is on the GC. We are absolutely firm on that."
That's a full on thing to say at a press conference.

I don't know details l just know they have done a lot to help him.
Could you not sense the air of disbelief in Dews voice when he said "we know the best place for Izak to LIVE and PLAY FOOTY is on the GC. We are absolutely firm on that."
That's a full on thing to say at a press conference.
I definitely sensed it. Dew repeated several times, I believe.

You'd imagine Izzy would be getting huge pressure from family to not only move back to Shitadelaide but to also take the extra money
Hard for a 22yo to refuse the deal of a lifetime
As heartbreaking as it is not sure we should be matching it

I just wondered the wisdom of saying “we know what’s best for you”, irrespective of how true it may or may not be.

It was pretty jarring the way it was said.

A petulant teenager would think ‘no you don’t’ and do the opposite.

I just wondered the wisdom of saying “we know what’s best for you”, irrespective of how true it may or may not be.

It was pretty jarring the way it was said.

A petulant teenager would think ‘no you don’t’ and do the opposite.
Agreed but the tone is because they are dumbfounded he's even considering it.
Will be very interesting for him when the 'issues' aren't 2000 km away anymore.

If I was the club I'd be going straight on offence and get right in the ear of Josh Rachele.

Make the campaigners pay and even without Rachele they will pay. You don't offer a player $900k and expect to get him for just a first round pick.

Honestly I reckon this is going to be a disaster for Adelaide.

A lot of early angst for a media story. I am sure if he does nominate it will be a fair deal. It likely won’t be a player unless Keays wants to head back to QLD. Rachele is contracted for 4 years so highly unlikely he could be moved. But certainly our first and Keays or something like that may be the result.

Way to early for people to start getting shirty over something that may not even happen

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Lots of speculation around whether he will sign or not on the FB page, I think if he hasn’t put pen to paper by the North game he’s 100% gone. And honestly if is doesn’t happen this week after the Dew. Touk comments and the supposed prompting of his manager to stay then I would rate it 95% that he will leave.

Lots of speculation around whether he will sign or not on the FB page, I think if he hasn’t put pen to paper by the North game he’s 100% gone. And honestly if is doesn’t happen this week after the Dew. Touk comments and the supposed prompting of his manager to stay then I would rate it 95% that he will leave.

Surely there’s a car dealership in the Gold Coast area that can park a couple of nice cars in his driveway for him and his partner.. I think that’s what happens in Melbourne when they want to keep players doesn’t it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely there’s a car dealership in the Gold Coast area that can park a couple of nice cars in his driveway for him and his partner.. I think that’s what happens in Melbourne when they want to keep players doesn’t it
I know that a O’cockfaces girlfriend at the time was driving around in an Audi ( hawks major sponsor) for six months before Jaeger signed with the Hawks so yes it happens

I am starting to come to the realisation that the club has done a great deal for Izak to help him both on and off field but at the end of the day if he wants to leave so be it, we can put that effort and personal well-being into another player and let the crows deal with his “issues “ as you can’t always save someone from themselves

I know that a O’cockfaces girlfriend at the time was driving around in an Audi ( hawks major sponsor) for six months before Jaeger signed with the Hawks so yes it happens

I am starting to come to the realisation that the club has done a great deal for Izak to help him both on and off field but at the end of the day if he wants to leave so be it, we can put that effort and personal well-being into another player and let the crows deal with his “issues “ as you can’t always save someone from themselves

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink

I was thinking that if Rankine did decide to stay it would be a turning point for the club where a young star turned his back on more money elsewhere to stay.

Unfortunately I think we all know it’s unlikely to happen and the media will jump on the “ more young players want out” BS narrative.

Huge roll of the dice about to change the fortunes of the club one way or the other

I was thinking that if Rankine did decide to stay it would be a turning point for the club where a young star turned his back on more money elsewhere to stay.

Unfortunately I think we all know it’s unlikely to happen and the media will jump on the “ more young players want out” BS narrative.

Huge roll of the dice about to change the fortunes of the club one way or the other
Most recently re-signed players stayed for less according to Dew’s interview in GCBulletin. I bet Ben would get somewhere else more than speculated 750K.

Last edited:
As I mentioned earlier, this feels different RE: Rankine, this isn't a young player leaving cause the environment is awful or there is no hope at the Suns. He is leaving because a massive bag of money has been put infront of him that is too good to turn down.

I don't think too many rational people think that Rankine leaving is a sign the Suns are in trouble again, there is enough nuance to understand the differences between Lynch/May wanting out, and Rankine leaving for a payday.

that is too good to turn down.
Personally, I disagree. There would be not many top talents left on our team if every one of them would follow Rankine.

I am pretty sure Ben King could get extra bag of money somewhere else and he re-signed and re-signed early. Touk could get extra bag of money somewhere else too.

So if some other team offers Anderson 900K-1M next year, you expect him to take money and run? Rowell? I bet there will be teams able to offer them 150-200K more than us.

Last edited:
Personally, I disagree. There would be not many top talents left on our team if everyone of them would follow Rankine.

I am pretty sure Ben King could get extra bag of money somewhere else and he re-signed and re-signed early. Touk could get extra bag of money somewhere else too.

So if some other team offers Anderson 1M next year, you expect him to take money and run? Rowell?
If Anderson gets offered 1m a year for 5 years next year, he will leave, I don't think that will happen though.

Theoretically, if teams are overpaying for our players, then it means they can't pay their star players and then they leave and a cycle begins, that is the wonders of a salary capped league.

FWIW, a little unpopular opinion, if someone wants to pay 1m for Rowell for his current output, I would be moving him on in a heartbeat. My massive fear is next year we overpay Rowell significantly and he doesn't get any better.

If Anderson gets offered 1m a year for 5 years next year, he will leave, I don't think that will happen though.
North would be able to do it easily with their cap situation, especially if Clarko takes the job. Essendon probably too this year. IMO, Anderson has a potential to be one of the best midfielders in a couple of years. Considering that e.g. Coniglio and others are paid over 1M why not if team has a cap space with plenty of young players on the list.

Hawks are probably targeting Anderson. Again plenty of cap space.

How much money could Ben King get if he explored market? I bet somebody would pay him 900K.

I did not say Rowell could get 1M. 700-800K offers? To lure someone teams have to overpay.

FWIW, I think Crows are smart with Rankine's offer. They got plenty of money due to young list. Salary cap will go up in a couple of years. Rankine is a special talent and will draw crowds.

I suspect, unless top talent players are willing to stay for less (100-150K) we will be in trouble and lose some of them.

Last edited:

Theoretically, if teams are overpaying for our players, then it means they can't pay their star players and then they leave and a cycle begins, that is the wonders of a salary capped league.

FWIW, a little unpopular opinion, if someone wants to pay 1m for Rowell for his current output, I would be moving him on in a heartbeat. My massive fear is next year we overpay Rowell significantly and he doesn't get any better.
Don't think Anderson is going to leave if he gets offered $1m. Suns would be more prepared to get closer to that than to Rankine's $800k.

North would be able to do it easily with their cap situation, especially if Clarko takes the job. Essendon probably too this year. IMO, Anderson has a potential to be one of the best midfielders in a couple of years. Considering that e.g. Coniglio and others are paid over 1M why not if team has a cap space with plenty of young talent.

How much money could Ben King get if he explored market? I bet somebody would pay him 900K.

I did not say Rowell could get 1M. 750-800K offers? To lure someone teams have to overpay.

Hawks are probably targeting Anderson. Again plenty of cap space.

FWIW, I think Crows are smart with Rankine's offer. They got plenty of money due to young list. Salary cap will go up in a couple of years. Rankine is a special talent and will draw crowds.
Just to use your example, if Anderson went to the Roos on 1m a year for 5 years, then the likes of LDU, McKay, JHF, Simpkin would be asking at their next contract to be paid accordingly and then you start getting a salary cap squeeze like GWS, especially if you have some players who sprout up as stars over night like Essendon may have with Perkins, Cox, who need their pays bumped and that is when other clubs come knocking with improved offers for these players and pinch them out of these clubs

We are finally getting our salary cap under control, outside of some blunders like Atkins, giving 1m deals isn't the way to go, for us, King would probably be my only exception if he keeps improving at the rate because KPF are so hard to come by. Of course is Anderson comes on next year and wins a Brownlow then yeah, that is a different conversation.

There is a reason there are only a handful of players currently in the AFL on those sort of deals, it is because they play massive strain on the salary cap, look at GWS having to offload great players who don't want to leave like Taranto because they can't afford him.

Just my opinion of course, don't expect everyone to share my view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Izak Rankine off to Adelaide. Pick 5 obtained as expected

Remove this Banner Ad

Back