Player Watch Izak Rankine Part II - Welcome to Adelaide

Pick 5 and a swap of 3rd/4th round picks for Rankine was...

• Massive overs

• Moderate overs

• Slight overs

• Fair value

• Slight unders

• Moderate unders

• Massive unders

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

So you finally admit that you got it wrong?

View attachment 1979445
Yawn - have explained plenty of times the context of that post thay he we should not have used our pick #5... rather we should have used other draft capital

I'm not going bore posters with the same posting over & over because you are numpty who didn't get it the 99th time!

Yawn - have explained plenty of times the context of that post thay he we should not have used our pick #5... rather we should have used other draft capital

I'm not going bore posters with the same posting over & over because you are numpty who didn't get it the 99th time!
All you have to do is admit you got it wrong, which is clear for all to see.

Only one numpty here. And it's you.

All you have to do is admit you got it wrong, which is clear for all to see.

Only one numpty here. And it's you.
No, we should have traded for Rankine like we did for Dawson imo from a position of strength.

I won't change my opinion on this... so don't bother rehashing... as you will never understand!

I'm not sure what happened behind the scenes of trade week that year. Maybe we tried to pick swap around and no one was wanting to trade with what we had. Pick 5 we potentially could have traded out for 2 picks in the top 15. West Coast had 2 picks that maybe they would have traded up to 5 with with some extra pick swaps. But who knows.

Not much we can do now. I do believe we could have been more inventive with our pick trading that year prior to trade week and we could have used something different. We may have tried but we got frozen out of discussions.

He’s worth more than pick 5 but we didn’t need to give up pick 5.

Yawn... you are the 2nd biggest broken record on this board after Marty.

We were in a position of strength & should have kept our #5 pick for a midfielder & used other draft capital for Rankine.

... but this has only been explained to you a hundred times but you are too much of a numpty to understand that it doesn't mean I don't think Rankine is worth pick #5 - rather we shouldn't have used pick #5!
Yes, it was unfortunate that the Suns decided to make a stand after years of pillaging by Victorian Clubs, against non-Vic none the less.

I agree we definitely paid overs for Rankine, when you consider how the Suns accepted unders for previous players.

The irony of them giving away a 1st rounder and Bowes to the Cats should not be lost here.

Yes, it was unfortunate that the Suns decided to make a stand after years of pillaging by Victorian Clubs, against non-Vic none the less.

I agree we definitely paid overs for Rankine, when you consider how the Suns accepted unders for previous players.

The irony of them giving away a 1st rounder and Bowes to the Cats should not be lost here.
They didn't make a stand, a poster over the GCS thread who know someone on the board mentioned Rankine wanted a fair compensation so they were always confident on getting pick 5 as evident by what happened when we offered them pick 5 and they just sat on it for the entire trade period, totally opposite to how we trade for Dawson only the previous year. A bit over as pick 10 was around the mark given what he did in the 2nd half of his last season with GCS (had he perform like that for the entire season then he was easily worth pick 5 and now he has proven he is easily worth pick 5).

Last edited:
They didn't make a stand, a poster over the GCS thread who know someone on the board mentioned Rankine wanted a fair compensation so they were always confident on getting pick 5 as evident by what happened when we offered them pick 5 and they just sat on it for the entire trade period, totally opposite to how we trade for Dawson only the previous year. A bit over as pick 10 was around the mark given what he did in the 2nd half of his last season with GCS (had he perform like that for the entire season then he was easily worth pick 5 and now he has proven he is easily worth pick 5).
It’s rubbish, the crows say “ranks” they are giving away pick 7 with Bowes, we don’t need to fairly compensate them at all

People have already mentioned it but Rankines goal reminded me of Mcleod so much.

The way he burst through 3 potential tacklers, then did a dinky little bounce before kicking from 50.

Mcleod always had the awareness to not overkick it and Rankine did the same with a low 45 metre kick that bounced home.

Was sublime.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

All correct but I still feel the deal was okay as Gold Coast will have future trades with us. This is one club I like having a good working relationship with as their players (like many of ours) are not rusted into the club.

Long term, GC and us have many synergies we can both benefit from.

People have already mentioned it but Rankines goal reminded me of Mcleod so much.

The way he burst through 3 potential tacklers, then did a dinky little bounce before kicking from 50.

Mcleod always had the awareness to not overkick it and Rankine did the same with a low 45 metre kick that bounced home.

Was sublime.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Any excuse to post this one again.

All correct but I still feel the deal was okay as Gold Coast will have future trades with us. This is one club I like having a good working relationship with as their players (like many of ours) are not rusted into the club.

Long term, GC and us have many synergies we can both benefit from.

This idea that we did an overs deal so we can be nice friends in future trades is kindergarten stuff.

That is not how business works.

We gave up more than we needed to, that’s bad business … and if anything shows our soft belly for future dealings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This idea that we did an overs deal so we can be nice friends in future trades is kindergarten stuff.

That is not how business works.

We gave up more than we needed to, that’s bad business … and if anything shows our soft belly for future dealings.
I'm not sure of your business but my understanding of business is when you only have an annual lottery and a mere 17 customers to TRADE with to improve your chances of success, you value each customer. You'll need them to achieve success and a mutually beneficial TRADE (not a purchase) is the pathway to building your organisation. Of course, if your business had thousands or even millions of customers, you can afford to piss a few of them of.
The tough guy, bone crusher talk might sound nice on big footy, but really only displays a juvenile understanding of commerce within a limited market.

I'm not sure of your business but my understanding of business is when you only have an annual lottery and a mere 17 customers to TRADE with to improve your chances of success, you value each customer. You'll need them to achieve success and a mutually beneficial TRADE (not a purchase) is the pathway to building your organisation. Of course, if your business had thousands or even millions of customers, you can afford to piss a few of them of.
The tough guy, bone crusher talk might sound nice on big footy, but really only displays a juvenile understanding of commerce within a limited market.
Anyone that’s shafted us at trade time certainly has rued the day.

I think Rankines peak will surpass Eddie's, he is more gifted athletically - is stronger and quicker than Betts was.
They'll be different players.

I don't think Rankine will ever quite be able to do the impossible that Eddie did in regards to wrong foot checksides and torps that split the middle with unbelievable regularity. He'll impact the game in other ways though. Like others have mentioned, the goal on the weekend was more McLeod than Betts. He might end up a hybrid of the two.

Any excuse to post this one again.

God he was good, maybe one day we'll have another as good. Imagine having equivalents of McLeod, Ricciuto, Goodwin and Edwards all running around in our team at the same time again

Worth every penny.

He's also much stronger than I thought, he fended of JHF at one point and also brought him to ground.
Probably rose coloured glasses, but i don't think Rankine has reached his peak yet.

Extra midfield time seems to agree with him, more than I expected

Don't players enter their prime when they are 27 years old (around the time when they become Free Agent).
Kinda, that's around the middle of the window, so should be a players absolute peak years.

But an elite player for a long time... you've got to think age 24 through 29 is your tip top, should be at your bestest, you won't be this fit, this young, multiple preseasons under your belt again.

Kinda, that's around the middle of the window, so should be a players absolute peak years.

But an elite player for a long time... you've got to think age 24 through 29 is your tip top, should be at your bestest, you won't be this fit, this young, multiple preseasons under your belt again.

Also depends on what kind of player you're talking about. Ruckmen probably peak later in their career than midfielders, for example.

Rankine is every bit as good as peak Eddie. Will be interesting as to compare them both at the end of Rankines career. Rankine does look to have more tricks then Eddie though that allows Rankine to run through the midfield.

This in no way diminishes Eddie. Was a pure gun.
I agree this in no way diminishes Eddie, but if I were a selector and had to pick either Rankine at this current stage of his development or Eddie at his peak, I would choose Rankine. I also agree with those who say that Andrew McLeod is more of a like for like comparison.

Probably rose coloured glasses, but i don't think Rankine has reached his peak yet.

Extra midfield time seems to agree with him, more than I expected
I agree. Adapting to the midfield and still hitting the score board. Seems to be playing with more maturity as this season progresses. To me, he is standing out as a leader of the club along with Dawson, Hinge and Tex.

Betts and McLeod were unbelievable players for us and so exciting to watch. Both produced seasons of consistency on top of endless highlights. Different players to each other - Rankine has a sprinkling of the best of both of them, without the ability they had on their left foot. It is a privilege to watch week in week out.

Back