Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

If west Coast ask for more than a 10th round rookie pick, we should tell them to sit on a thumb. Don't care if he's already put a downpayment on a card board box off lygon.

I'm happy to go on record and say this is a terrible idea that we will be regretting in 12 months time
What’s to regret though?
If he was coming in & taking games off a young developing key forward then sure, but we don’t have a young developing key forward on our list.
Comben & perhaps Will Dawson could be in our plans to play forward next season, in which case Darling will be a great educator for them.

I don't see how this is a bad idea. Not going to cost too much and we're struggling to get to the minimum cap anyway. If he really is cooked then he doesn't play but he still gets to teach the young forwards a lot about forward craft and Gym work. But if a new environment helps him re-discover somewhere near his best then we have an absolute bargain. People were adamant Taylor Walker was cooked 3 years ago when he was Darling's age, and he was All Australian last year.

Yes, good point. A second lease of life not beyond Darling, especially at Marvel imo

The Office No GIF

Was thinking this too. However, maybe Richmond are asking for crazy compensation?
Tom Lynch looks to be just about done. He has played 4 games in each of the last 2 seasons.
He also plays a very similar role as Larkey.
Darling plays a higher role, with Josh Kennedy playing deep in their prime.
Darling has always been a great relief option coming out of the backline with long leads up to wing or half back to take a mark.
Whilst Darling also looks to be past it, he & Lynch are different players & IMO we have been crying out for a ‘Darling type’ to play this role.
Lynch may also not want to come or Richmond don’t want to trade him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannot say I am too thrilled about this move for many of the reasons listed by others (never been a leader, beyond cooked, likely to be more of a hinderance to our forward structure, etc.), but if he's going to wear our jumper, I will support him.

I'm all in on this.
If he can bring some leadership to the forward line and on the training tracks during the week, give us an extra 20-30 goals, create a decoy target for Souva to increase his own output and bring his defensive pressure then i'm all in.

Welcome aboard Jack!

Tom Lynch looks to be just about done. He has played 4 games in each of the last 2 seasons.
He also plays a very similar role as Larkey.
Darling plays a higher role, with Josh Kennedy playing deep in their prime.
Darling has always been a great relief option coming out of the backline with long leads up to wing or half back to take a mark.
Whilst Darling also looks to be past it, he & Lynch are different players & IMO we have been crying out for a ‘Darling type’ to play this role.
Lynch may also not want to come or Richmond don’t want to trade him.
This is the definition of clutching at straws. No offence intended at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back