Player Watch #23: Geordie Payne - Pick 1 2024 MSD - Welcome to NM!

Remove this Banner Ad

From The Examiner

When Geordie Payne's name was not called out at last year's national draft, he was not too concerned.

Instead, he went back to working on his craft in the hope that one day - soon - he would be drafted to an AFL club.

That dream became a reality on Wednesday, May 29, when the 18-year-old was drafted with pick one in the mid-season rookie draft by North Melbourne.

Adapting his game style slightly to suit recruiters, Payne said his ability to "implement new things" had paid off in the past few months.

"Going into the draft [last year], I didn't really expect much and when it didn't go my way, I just had to reflect and it just came back to the work that I'd done wasn't enough," Payne said.

"I just had to implement new things and work on small parts of my game. Endurance was something I had to work on, and a few skill things and versatility.

"I was always confident; you see nowadays that you can be up to 24 to get drafted so I knew I had plenty of time and that I was good enough. I just had to keep pushing for it."

Playing the better part of the 2023 season at halfback, Payne made the switch to play in the Tasmania Devils' midfield this year.

From his five games in the Coates Talent League, he has averaged 22 disposals, 5.8 tackles and 12 goals.

He recorded his best figures of the season on May 19, when he booted four goals and had 29 touches.

While Payne is yet to visit Roos' headquarters at Arden Street, he anticipated that they would want him to play a similar role when he makes the step up.

From The Examiner

When Geordie Payne's name was not called out at last year's national draft, he was not too concerned.

Instead, he went back to working on his craft in the hope that one day - soon - he would be drafted to an AFL club.

That dream became a reality on Wednesday, May 29, when the 18-year-old was drafted with pick one in the mid-season rookie draft by North Melbourne.

Adapting his game style slightly to suit recruiters, Payne said his ability to "implement new things" had paid off in the past few months.

"Going into the draft [last year], I didn't really expect much and when it didn't go my way, I just had to reflect and it just came back to the work that I'd done wasn't enough," Payne said.

"I just had to implement new things and work on small parts of my game. Endurance was something I had to work on, and a few skill things and versatility.

"I was always confident; you see nowadays that you can be up to 24 to get drafted so I knew I had plenty of time and that I was good enough. I just had to keep pushing for it."

Playing the better part of the 2023 season at halfback, Payne made the switch to play in the Tasmania Devils' midfield this year.

From his five games in the Coates Talent League, he has averaged 22 disposals, 5.8 tackles and 12 goals.

He recorded his best figures of the season on May 19, when he booted four goals and had 29 touches.

While Payne is yet to visit Roos' headquarters at Arden Street, he anticipated that they would want him to play a similar role when he makes the step up.
He can’t have averaged 12 goals - someone lost concentration as that sentence neared its end.

He can’t have averaged 12 goals - someone lost concentration as that sentence neared its end.
Shocked The Usual Suspects GIF

Will Thursfield when he learns his new #1 recruit was drafted off a typo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All jokes aside, that's legitimately happening?
According to the training times, the women were training from 8.30 to 10 and the men were training from 10 to 12. They did this combined Tuesday training day last year too.

As for comments about training intensity, it's a warm up, what do you expect? People are still carrying that Mick McGuane comment and continuing to misinterpret it.

According to the training times, the women were training from 8.30 to 10 and the men were training from 10 to 12. They did this combined Tuesday training day last year too.

As for comments about training intensity, it's a warm up, what do you expect? People are still carrying that Mick McGuane comment and continuing to misinterpret it.

I've been to 2-3 training sessions a month for the last 12 months - the comments are warranted.

too early to delist them?

Pagan wanted Boomer to rock up the day after being drafted. We give these kids an extra week to say goodbye to mummy:drunk:

I don't care if that's what the club said. I would have been at Arden Street at 5.55am knocking on the doors the following day asking to train the house down.

Not sure about the two teams training together given the difference between them. I just hope our W team wasn't too badly affected.
Hopefully they showed the guys how to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #23: Geordie Payne - Pick 1 2024 MSD - Welcome to NM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back