Player Watch #23: Geordie Payne - Pick 1 2024 MSD - Welcome to NM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on a minute. I’m concerned! It’s not a full smile. I repeat: Not. A. Full. Smile. It’s only a little smirk. What have we done?? He’s got disappointment written across his face that he’s been drafted and he can now live out his childhood dream of playing AFL! Shut the front gate! Disaster. 😜

you saying I'm being unfair???.....I was merely pointing out that he seems like no-nonsense sort of kid who doesn't speak in usual rubbish. I love that about him.

Or have I misunderstood your post?
I think someone else misunderstood your post.

My question is (as I have no knowledge of the player) - why wasn't he drafted?

There must be something that was considered not AFL standard?

Is it speed? disposal (please no)? outside player?
He’s 2 months from being available in this years draft. Probably undersized would have been a big Q mark and his disposal off half back is terrible. If he plays as a small forward, his disposal wont matter too much. He snaps the ball relatively well. Who knows, could be a goer

What??? His dream of playing for an AFL club has just come true and you think he’s worried about going to the bottom team with Clarko as coach and Harry, George and Colby to name a few!! Give me a break! That’s just hilarious!! Do yourself a favour and buy some positivity! It will make you feel much better!
More importantly, he is every chance to play a game this year. If he went to a top 4 side, he'd be playing reserves for the foreseeable future and then more than likely delisted and forgotten without ever playing a game.

He was the second quickest player over 5m at the State Combine last year and if he tested at the National Combine he would have been the quickest over the first 5m.

For 10m, he was the 3rd quickest at the State Combine and would have been 4th quickest at the National Combine.

Bodes well for a defensive pressure forward type role.

Exactly what we need

Hoping he is ready to go forward pressure - who makes way (and yeah, I'm aware how ridiculous that sounds with our form).
HF: Ford Zurhaar/Teackle Simpkin

F: Payne Larkey Curtis

Rotate Sheeze, Simpkin, Zurhaar and Curtis through the guts when LDU and Powell need a rest.

Play Ford at HF for the next half a dozen games until he builds match fitness to take over a wing.

Instruct Simpkin, Payne, Zurhaar and Curtis to inflict as much pain as possible on the oppo defense.

The coaching group thinking about forward half pressure is waaayover due…

Ripper, a lad with humility and attitude.

Bloke didn’t want to be seen crying - some old school toughness this list is screaming out for.

And for those wanting him to come straight in, please!

Give the club and the kid a few weeks to assess where he is at physically and if he’s all good unleash him.

We haven’t had an excitement and tackling machine up forward like him since Phoenix.
Makes me think we might have someone go and have a few stern words to our skipper after he is found laughing with the opposition after a routine 75 point flogging…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope he was told by the AFL or producers to jump around fist pumping and high fives as his family and friends jump all over him. And Geordie just went, "Fudge that. I'm ready to play some bloody footy."

Exactly the attitude we need.
I think we need more of this no bs attitude. GW has this quality and it’s a likeable one.

Out of curiosity, why was he looked over in last year's draft? I figured winning a B&F in a side with Kerch and Sanders would warrant interest.
Sanders didn’t play for Tassie. Geordie played an entirely different role as a defender where his weaknesses were shown more with decision making and composure. His foot skills were and are okay, technically fine just rushes himself too much. But he was seen as a hard working defender who can provide run and dash and was unlucky to not get drafted.

Geordie has shown a lot more this season with his move into the middle and forward, being around the contest.

Sanders didn’t play for Tassie, played an entirely different role as a defender where his weaknesses were shown more with decision making and composure. His foot skills were and are okay, technically fine just rushes himself too much. But he was seen as a hard working defender who can provide run and dash and was unlucky to not get drafted, shown a lot more this season with his move into the middle and forward, being around the contest.
I swear everyone was saying he played with Kerch and Sanders lol.

Speed, intensity, tackling and pressure in the F50 is exactly what we need.

Any similarities to Chayce Jones? Both willing, quick, smallish players in the mid/forward area from Tassie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #23: Geordie Payne - Pick 1 2024 MSD - Welcome to NM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back