Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack darling 300th
Hope they give us eagles round 2 for it

When was his last bag? 5+?

Round 20 - 2022 v Gold Coast

He’s done.

As I've posted elsewhere

Darling has kicked more goals in his career than Larkey, Zurhaar, Curtis and Duursma combined. Even if he's done, I reckon he'll make those guys better.

Cannot say I am too thrilled about this move for many of the reasons listed by others (never been a leader, beyond cooked, likely to be more of a hinderance to our forward structure, etc.), but if he's going to wear our jumper, I will support him.
I always respect your view, and for that matter others who are doubtful about this recruitment, but I'm more supportive, for the following reasons:

* the 'never been a leader' argument doesn't quite compute for mine. Whether he's had leadership "roles" is one thing, but Darling has averaged more than 20 games a season for more than a decade - that is extraordinary durability, and nobody does it in the AFL without being absolutely elite in terms of training standards, post-match rehab and game preparation, esp. based in Perth with long haul flights every second week

* while he's probably on a promise about a post-playing role, he's uprooting a young family and bringing them the other side of country, and I don't think anybody does that without being fully invested in the project they're embarking on

* he might be 33 next year, but his I50 tackle count this season was better than anyone at North bar Paul Curtis, and that speaks to me of someone who can still cover the ground

* somebody else posted that Marvel might suit him, and I think that's a reasonable theory

Anyways, we'll all find out soon enough

As I've posted elsewhere

Darling has kicked more goals in his career than Larkey, Zurhaar, Curtis and Duursma combined. Even if he's done, I reckon he'll make those guys better.
AFL tables has him at 532 goals? Whered the other 70 come from?

Larkey averages 2 goals a game, he duckling averages 1.79?

Strange hill mate. He aint gonna do anything for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always respect your view, and for that matter others who are doubtful about this recruitment, but I'm more supportive, for the following reasons:

* the 'never been a leader' argument doesn't quite compute for mine. Whether he's had leadership "roles" is one thing, but Darling has averaged more than 20 games a season for more than a decade - that is extraordinary durability, and nobody does it in the AFL without being absolutely elite in terms of training standards, post-match rehab and game preparation, esp. based in Perth with long haul flights every second week

* while he's probably on a promise about a post-playing role, he's uprooting a young family and bringing them the other side of country, and I don't think anybody does that without being fully invested in the project they're embarking on

* he might be 33 next year, but his I50 tackle count this season was better than anyone at North bar Paul Curtis, and that speaks to me of someone who can still cover the ground

* somebody else posted that Marvel might suit him, and I think that's a reasonable theory

Anyways, we'll all find out soon enough
All fair reasons. Intangible benefits are difficult to quantify. Wait and see.

Our only hope is if he does a mark Powell and doesn’t turn up.

Merlin007

AHEM - Luke McDonald, every club has a player that should have been let go but somehow keeps on going around.

Its for a million dollars? At the pointy end of the career, a million+ is worth uprooting the family.

Thats because he took ruck contests inside 50 and ours were split between 5 other players. False equivalence

Meh. We are gluttons for punishment

As I've posted elsewhere

Might teach them something about leading patterns

As long as he’s fit he takes a defender away from Larkey

No brainer for me, come on down Darling

Mariah Carey Tweet GIF by Twitter

He spoiled the mark McDonald was taking, that lead to their game winning goal in our last game with them. While he is not at his peak, he has been playing a role allowing Waterman and Allan to be the main targets. The fact that we need to get senior players in to set standards is diabolical. It does not speak well of our current senior leaders or to be frank those who have finished up in the last 3 years (I will give Cunners a pass for obvious reasons). Its an absolute joke that standards became so bad

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Jack Darling - has officially requested to be traded to NM on a two-year deal. Pick 64 is expected to be tabled.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back