Speculation Jack Darling [UFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

The Worpedo

Rookie
Aug 28, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What is he worth?
Could fill a need at a couple of clubs looking for premiership experience and a Kpp who can be plat as a second or third forward.
(Pies, dees, kangas)

What is he worth?
Could fill a need at a couple of clubs looking for premiership experience and a Kpp who can be plat as a second or third forward.
(Pies, dees, kangas)
He's not really KPP size, though.

All 3 of those teams would probably want a gorilla type forward, not another Toby Pink or Brody Mihocheck.

Yeah, ok.

All three of these players you've just started threads on have shown no indication of leaving, and nothing from their clubs about moving them on.

You going to keep going with every single player on a list?

Yeah, ok.

All three of these players you've just started threads on have shown no indication of leaving, and nothing from their clubs about moving them on.

There's been plenty of scuttlebut around Melbourne showing some interest in JD.

Probably their 3rd rounder would do it but he'd only move if they offered a contract extension. Not sure he's worth that.

Yeah, ok.

Feel free not to participate in the thread

There's been plenty of scuttlebut around Melbourne showing some interest in JD.

Probably their 3rd rounder would do it but he'd only move if they offered a contract extension. Not sure he's worth that.

But would he move to another state? He's originally from WA yeah? And would need to uproot his family and move to Melbourne just for 1 or 2 years. I don't know if he would bother unless he puts playing a few more years of footy above everything else in his life.

But would he move to another state? He's originally from WA yeah? And would need to uproot his family and move to Melbourne just for 1 or 2 years. I don't know if he would bother unless he puts playing a few more years of footy above everything else in his life.
Hes come out and said before that he wants to play past his current contract which is 1 year more.
He wont get it at the Eagles, as we are very stocked for KPFs, and he wont get it at Freo with their young forward line.
Itd have to be in another state

This is what I can't see past. He's a Perth bloke married to a Perth girl, with school aged kids. I can't see them uprooting to the other side the country for a year or two.

Stranger things have happened though.

JD is 2 games away from playing 300 for the Eagles, the team I am pretty sure he grew up barracking for (makes sense being from West Perth)?

Honestly can't see him leaving for just another year of footy, and can't see us trading him for a late pick. We will struggle to pay the cap minimum as it is, and would love him to be a 300 gamer.

Reckon we would only do it for a late second/early third, and I don't think anyone is paying that.

Hard to say.

He reckons he wants to play until he's 35, based off some comments earlier in the year.

Doubtful he'll get much AFL time in our team next year, despite being so close to 300.

Would need an additional 2 years to consider it, I'd imagine.

He's very durable and he's also shown since his WAFL stint that he can play at the level(his return game was his 2nd highest rated in his career, from memory). How consistently is the question but would be easier playing in a better side, for sure.

Be surprised if he actually moved though.

Hard to say.

He reckons he wants to play until he's 35, based off some comments earlier in the year.

Doubtful he'll get much AFL time in our team next year, despite being so close to 300.

Would need an additional 2 years to consider it, I'd imagine.

He's very durable and he's also shown since his WAFL stint that he can play at the level(his return game was his 2nd highest rated in his career, from memory). How consistently is the question but would be easier playing in a better side, for sure.

Be surprised if he actually moved though.
North might be the ideal place for him. He just needs be a presence in the forward line so Larkey, Duursma & CCJ can work their craft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schofield on his podcasting saying both Barrass and Darling will be playing elsewhere in 2025.

He is one of TBs mates and mouthpieces.

Obviously has inside contacts still working at / with the Eagles.
Just a clarification on JD, said he was 50/50. I think one of the other posters on our board got it wrong when they said Schofield said they were both gone. Barrass yes, JD maybe, potentially leaning toward yes but not definitive.

The article from The West;

North Melbourne again targeting West Coast Eagles forward Jack Darling with multi-year deal

Glen Quartermain
The West Australian
Fri, 30 August 2024

North Melbourne is targeting veteran West Coast forward Jack Darling for the second time in as many off-seasons.
The Kangaroos were unsuccessful in pulling off a trade with the Eagles at the same time last year, but want to add experience and depth to their forward line.
Darling, 32, is about to enter the final 12 months of a five-year deal with the Eagles worth an estimated $800,000 but the forward believes he has more than one season left in his ageing frame.
The Eagles are believed to have rejected North Melbourne’s demand that they pay $200,000 of Darling’s 2025 salary.
The Roos are believed to be willing to offer a multi-year deal to Darling and possibly a late-round draft pick to the Eagles.
That would allow West Coast to create another spot on its list – and free up a spot in attack with Oscar Allen, Jake Waterman and Jack Williams now the preferred key forwards.
They also have to find room for Bailey Williams when Matt Flynn returns from injury to slot in to the No. 1 ruck position.
The Eagles, who are in the early stages of a major list rebuild, are also keen to play 2023 draftee Archer Reid, who finished the WAFL season in strong form. He kicked 17 goals in 15 games.
North Melbourne has picks 2, 22, 40, 58, 67 and 76 in this year’s draft.
Darling has kicked 532 goals from 298 games with the Eagles, ranking him second of all-time behind Josh Kennedy (714), but this year’s tally of 22 was his lowest in 14 seasons.
Darling could be an ideal addition to the North Melbourne attack alongside Nick Larkey as the Kangaroos look to add experience, guile and another weapon to their attack.
Larkey has kicked hauls of 46 and 71 over the past two seasons.Working in Darling’s favour is his proven recovery from and ability to play through injury.
The Roos had the youngest list in 2024 and are stacked with first-round selections.
The Roos were the third lowest scoring team in 2024 wtih 1619 points, ahead of only West Coast (1594) and Richmond (1505).
Darling was firm in his belief he wanted to remain a one-club player when he re-signed in 2019.
“I grew up supporting the Eagles, so to be here for my entire career is something I’ll look back on proudly,” Darling told the West Coast website
“I always thought I was going to be a one-club player. I’m just really excited that the club has backed me in like they have my whole career.”
Darling, 32, was dropped in the lead up to Jarrad Schofield’s first game as caretaker coach in round 18 but returned two weeks later and held his spot for the remainder of the season.
“The coaching group decided that because Jack’s form has been patchy and with the opposition rucks in mind we needed to play both Bailey and Jack Williams,” football boss Gavin Bell said at the time.
“Last week Jack Darling played as the back-up ruck, but we felt there was a need to change the structure for this match.
“He has been aware that his position has been discussed for a number of weeks and we will support him as he strives to return to the senior team.”
Winger Andrew Gaff has retired, while veteran defender Tom Barrass has already formally requested a trade to Hawthorn at his exit meeting last week, despite being contracted for another three seasons.
The Hawks are poised to part with a first-round pick for Barrass.

No doubt North will look to draft a KPF this year, Darling gives them a couple of years to develop that kid before theyre needed.

Darling is very durable, and would give them some structure in front of the ball. Hes not as good as he once was, but still commands a defender(even if its based on reputation alone).

Would be a good pickup for very cheap, better than the blokes they have been trading in previously anyway

No doubt North will look to draft a KPF this year, Darling gives them a couple of years to develop that kid before theyre needed.

Darling is very durable, and would give them some structure in front of the ball. Hes not as good as he once was, but still commands a defender(even if its based on reputation alone).

Would be a good pickup for very cheap, better than the blokes they have been trading in previously anyway

Also a good human. Not saying they’ve brought in dirtbags in the past or anything, but he is one of the good guys. Will be good for the youth

The article from The West;

North Melbourne again targeting West Coast Eagles forward Jack Darling with multi-year deal

Glen Quartermain
The West Australian
Fri, 30 August 2024

WAFL season in strong form. He kicked 17 goals in 15 games.
North Melbourne has picks 2, 22, 40, 58, 67 and 76 in this year’s draft.
Lazy Jurno cant even get the picks eagles have correct

But good get for North for pick #58

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jack Darling [UFA 2025]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back