News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

There has to be a car park for staff and players to ensure we can attract the best

I know when I moved and was looking at perspective employers having somewhere to park was a key item on my list

Punt Rd is good for public transport from Richmond Station but not really amazing if your trains don’t go through there

SunshineBoy to be fair iirc I estimated the cost at just under 15mill total however when you consider Eastern Plaza car parking at the tennis centre which is undercover and better located is (on event days) $20 pre booked or $30 drive up and $7.50 on non event days, the number estimates don't appear great.

In 2021 there were 236 event days per year across the whole precinct including mcg.

So averaging the cost to park over a year is $18.80 per space per day.

If 50 car spaces are rented out every day at capacity for $18.80 a day it's about a 43 years pay back for the whole car park, not including interest or anything else that may be possible factors like TigerImposter mentioned.
I was being generous with my numbers

There has to be a car park for staff and players to ensure we can attract the best

I know when I moved and was looking at perspective employers having somewhere to park was a key item on my list

Punt Rd is good for public transport from Richmond Station but not really amazing if your trains don’t go through there
The issue is we seem to be building more car spaces than needed, and the cost of a T R I P L E - B A S E M E N T carpark is huge (approx 15-20 million) whilst there is seemingly no info on why or who will use them.

280 odd spaces is approx twice the number Collingwood have and we have the best train access to the ground for non-players and non-staff in Victoria, possibly the country.

Name another training ground who has better train station access through a train station directly opposite its home ground. Not Collingwood. Not Carlton or Essendon. Geelong and Stkildas grounds are a 5-10 min walk. Nothing near Hawthorn at vfl park or at Casey for Melbourne. Footscray is a 2-3 min walk and so is the new Arden station for North.

The issue is we seem to be building more car spaces than needed, the cost of a T R I P L E - B A S E M E N T carpark is huge (approx 15-20 million) and there is no info on why or who will use them.

280 odd spaces is approx twice the number Collingwood have and we have the best train access to the ground for non-players and non-staff in Victoria, possibly the country.

Name another training ground who has better train station access through a train station directly opposite its home ground. Not Collingwood. not Carlton or Essendon. Geelong and Stkildas grounds are a 5-10 min walk. Nothing near Hawthorn at vfl park or at Casey for Melbourne. Footscray is a 2-3 min walk and so is the new Arden station for North.
why dont we have a massive carpark from a piece of yarra park like carltoon does princess park , the mcg uses yarra park for gamedays but why cant we put down some concrete in a little piece of the corner and use it for carparking ? no animals will die, theyd simply move to the next tree

We are getting the carpark, it will be well used during the week and when we book functions........or perhaps forget the car park and those booking their conference or whatever can get their guests to catch the train in. :D

Who gives a fxxk as it isn’t an issue now and it’s only there for a few dignitaries arseholes.

Have you actually tried to attend Punt Road and park there on an AFLW or VFL game day?

I have, in an official capacity for a few AFLW fixtures, and it's a massive issue. There are not enough spaces, it creates a huge safety risk and if the programs (and people attending to weatch) are going to grow, it will become an even greater issue

The issue is we seem to be building more car spaces than needed, and the cost of a T R I P L E - B A S E M E N T carpark is huge (approx 15-20 million) whilst there is seemingly no info on why or who will use them.

Name another training ground who has better train station access through a train station directly opposite its home ground. Not Collingwood. Not Carlton or Essendon. Geelong and Stkildas grounds are a 5-10 min walk. Nothing near Hawthorn at vfl park or at Casey for Melbourne. Footscray is a 2-3 min walk and so is the new Arden station for North.
Glenferrie

Have you actually tried to attend Punt Road and park there on an AFLW or VFL game day?

I have, in an official capacity for a few AFLW fixtures, and it's a massive issue. There are not enough spaces, it creates a huge safety risk and if the programs (and people attending to weatch) are going to grow, it will become an even greater issue
These are the same people that will in 5 or 10 years time (probably less) :pileofpoop: can the club for not thinking ahead and build a carpark under the new building if we don't do it now.

Who would be silly enough to drive to Punt RD with Richmond Station next door? There's also parking nearby a simple google search does it .lol
Parking is not an issue and never has been. You will only have around 50 spots left after the dignitaries reserve there's and players with officials. The prices will also be higher if you can still get one. It's not rocket Science that these spots will not be for the members.

Last edited:

Heard each parking space is on its own rotation platform so the silvertails don’t have to reverse out

These are the same people that will in 5 or 10 years time (probably less) :pileofpoop: can the club for not thinking ahead and build a carpark under the new building if we don't do it now.
Remember when you said this...

DON'T CHIP IN IF YOU FEEL THAT WAY BUT DON'T EXPECT ME TO MOVE OUT OF MY SEAT IN THE NEW JACK DYER STAND FOR YOU!!!
Tell us if you are one of the 0.1% of members potentially wanting a reserved car park to go with your reserved seat.

Is this what this is all about?

Last edited:
Mate get a grip, there will be no parking in Yarra Park this weekend, look to the future lets say 20 years there are 150 staff at the football club now what will it be in the future? you have lost the plot with your moth-ridden wallet and old-fashioned ideas. Thankfully its happening regardless of what you think so sit on that and spin
Staff can catch the fing train like they do for every other job. Why the hell should I pay for some nuffy working at the club to get a car park when I have to catch a train to work or find a car park in the street and then walk the rest of the way.
Senior managers and players get a park and we don't need an expensive underground park for that, there's already parking available and I'm sure they could add a fee more under the building without doing a multi level underground carpark.
I'm not give cent for some fake stupid brick so some lacky can have a cushy park so they don't get wet in the rain.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would be silly enough to drive to Punt RD with Richmond Station next door? There's also parking nearby a simple google search does it .lol
Parking is not an issue and never has been. You will only have around 50 spots left after the dignitaries reserve there's and players with officials. The prices will also be higher if you can still get one. It's not rocket Science that these spots will not be for the members.
People with a job to do, who have to take equiptment with them, or have multiple places to be on the same day.

Players (heck knows when I was playing, i wouldn't EVER contemplate taking public transport to a game)

It doesn't take a lot for that carpark to be full at the moment, so, there are plenty of people who would want to drive rather than take public transport

People with a job to do, who have to take equiptment with them, or have multiple places to be on the same day.

Players (heck knows when I was playing, i wouldn't EVER contemplate taking public transport to a game)

It doesn't take a lot for that carpark to be full at the moment, so, there are plenty of people who would want to drive rather than take public transport

You do realise there is a massive car park 700m away from Punt Rd oval at Eastern Plaza next to John Cain Arena that the Collingwood staff also sometimes use? 7 minutes walk - leave 7 minutes earlier.

Also who works in the cbd or the periphery who doesn't pay for parking?

I get if you've carrying bulky or heavy stuff, but gee whiz to expect every single staff member PLUS other dignitaries are going to have their own car space in the centre of the city and ask member to foot the 15 million is a bloody terrible look.

Remember when you said this...

Tell us if you are one of the 0.1% of members potentially wanting a reserved car park to go with your reserved seat.

Is this what this is all about?
I catch the train in, but I don't expect the 4 teams, coaches, admin, doctors and physios, those that book a function and their guests to do that
EDIT
Aligned Leisure will also be run out of the new venue so there is the staff for that as well, all under the one roof

Last edited:

Well parking isn't an issue as that was your argument. The issue is traffic in that area. lol
Google is your friend and i sent links. If you think you're going to get a park then keep dreaming.
Stop changing the topic now.

Last edited:
I catch the train in, but I don't expect the 4 teams, coaches, admin, doctors and physios, those that book a function and their guests to do that
EDIT
Aligned Leisure will also be run out of the new venue so there is the staff for that as well, all under the one roof
What ARE they doing now ? Getting dropped off by a helicopter??? LOL the lame excuses keeps rolling on.

What ARE they doing now ? Getting dropped off by a helicopter??? LOL the lame excuses keeps rolling on.
Might be mistaken but parking will be an issue due to the new amenities getting built on what is the current parking area and the club unable to gain any more land in the precinct

Might be mistaken but parking will be an issue due to the new amenities getting built on what is the current parking area and the club unable to gain any more land in the precinct
That's hysteria as there is parking everywhere around PRO and the MCG. Next they'll want a Chauffeur and a Limousine.
Any large items there will be standard delivery drop off/ pick up points so it's just all exaggeration.

That's hysteria as there is parking everywhere around PRO and the MCG. Next they'll want a Chauffeur and a Limousine.
Any large items there will be standard delivery drop off/ pick up points so it's just all exaggeration.
I’m talking specifically players and staff who currently use the car parks that will be removed

I’m talking specifically players and staff who currently use the car parks that will be removed
So what there's parking around the area. Can't they walk 5-7minutes? Also original plans had parking, but not this exorbitant triple tier monster that is around 20mil in costs. They should be actually doing all the extras with what Footscray did with their space which is for super dooper player facilities. A carpark is absolutely useless to our long-term facilities and a waste of space and money. They are thinking for themselves only. That area should be better utilized as they will be making more alterations later.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back