News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Car spaces are proposed to be increased from approx 110 to 270. Not replaced.

The triple underground car park has an approximate cost of 15 mil to 20 mil. It's the extra (approx) 160 car spaces proposed in the most costly form (underground) at the expense of rank and file members that is the concern.

The costings and facts are all there.

It's a no brainer, especially with the hundreds to thousands of spaces 7 minutes walk away to the south.

So why are you arguing then if you think it won’t happen ?
Who are these people you’re trusting on to get it right ?
I am not here to argue or cause issues it was just a view. It’s pointless anyway as we don’t have much of a say.

So where have they all been parking recently ? lol.
As I said in my first or second or both posts there were plans already for parking in the original plans, but then they blew it out with the underground parking money pit . The original plans must of met the minimum requirements by council as they were approved.
They currently use the parking that is already there but will be built over with the new buildings hence why they need to replace the parks with underground ones

The triple underground car park has an approximate cost of 15 mil to 20 mil. It's the extra (approx) 160 car spaces proposed in the most costly form (underground) at the expense of rank and file members that is the concern.

It's a no brainer, especially with the hundreds to thousands of spaces 7 minutes walk away to the south.
So you think the club are just choosing to implement the extra parks without doing the appropriate groundwork to work out how many will be sufficient for the precinct just because they want to waste the money?

Even if they are over estimating the current use isn’t it better to future prof that aspect of the upgrade so it can carry the potential for future precinct upgrades?

It would still be a new structure wouldn’t get past the planning stages before the council and locals squash it
I disagree that's purely speculative and imo ill informed. If you engage the right people and provide for a sensitive and contextually responsive design it would actually be more likely to pass and get people on side.

So you think the club are just choosing to implement the extra parks without doing the appropriate groundwork to work out how many will be sufficient for the precinct just because they want to waste the money?
The plans for mine indicate they haven't explored (or aren't planning to implement) quite possibly the most cost effective and beneficial options for the club and precincts future.

There are a number of changes I would make.

Otherwise I am 80-90% in agreement with the project from a dollar perspective.

I disagree that's purely speculative and imo ill informed. If you engage the right people and provide for a sensitive and contextually responsive design it would actually be more likely to pass and get people on side.

Not when dealing with the specific overlays that would be involved and residents especially if it changes how the whole area looks being on parkland

I think the problem is, is you have parking above ground, you lose space for facilities.

And I know you have done the drawings, and think it can fit, on the northern end, even with a slim grandstand (which is an idea I actually like btw), but then you have no space for actual indoor facilities for staff and the footy program, which is the main reason for the redevelopment remember
Have a look at the northern and southern ends of the ground. The former is free and the latter is freed up by the reorientation of the ground.

The plans for mine indicate they haven't explored (or aren't planning to implement) quite possibly the most cost effective and beneficial options for the club and precincts future.

There are a number of changes I would make.

Otherwise I am 80-90% in agreement with the project from a dollar perspective.
Did you go to the club info night on the project and ask these questions?

It might be a no brainer to you now but in 10, 15 or 20 years it will be a total fail

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Underground if possible.
One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

It might be a no brainer to you now but in 10, 15 or 20 years it will be a total fail
Precisely how? Sit in "your seat" trying to project your insecurities onto others because they question 10 to 20% of the project and have a different opinion? Its clear to everyone that's all you bring to this thread.

At least Muddiemoose is probing in the right direction.

They currently use the parking that is already there but will be built over with the new buildings hence why they need to replace the parks with underground ones
Those current numbers wouldn't suffice to what you stated. So there has to be players and dignitaries currently paying for private spots. This is the point you’re missing and I will explain it for the last time. The silver tails and friends all want their private parking spot so they don’t have to buy one nearby as they’re currently doing and want us to pay for it. The original plans had sufficient parking incorporated that met planning requirements.
They then modified everything for their mates expecting us to fork out the 15-20 mil difference.
If they want underground parking they can pay for it themselves is my point.
They’ve probably wasted 6 to 8 mil aud in six years at the planning stage and not a brick has been cleaned . The underground car park alterations has cost an extra 2-3 mil aud in planning based on the delays, PPI hike and its cost of build. It’s been a joke the whole exercise all bc of a few selfish arseholes.

Add 3mil extra its cost in planning , PPI rises and the cost of the overall build. This is why they’re begging for money. They’ve ****ed it all up as usual.

Those current numbers wouldn't suffice to what you stated. So there has to be players and dignitaries currently paying for private spots. This is the point you’re missing and I will explain it for the last time. The silver tails and friends all want their private parking spot so they don’t have to buy one nearby as they’re currently doing and want us to pay for it. The original plans had sufficient parking incorporated that met planning requirements.
They then modified everything for their mates expecting us to fork out the 15-20 mil difference.
If they want underground parking they can pay for it themselves is my point.
They’ve probably wasted 6 to 8 mil aud in six years at the planning stage and not a brick has been cleaned . The underground car park alterations has cost an extra 2-3 mil aud in planning based on the delays, PPI hike and its cost of build. It’s been a joke the whole exercise all bc of a few selfish arseholes.
I said the current numbers would suffice once the upgrade was completed with the extra facilities (KGI, Houli foundation)

The carpark has always been part of the proposed upgrade
Nothing has changed since the initial announcement except the costs that was just an initial estimate

Where are you getting your information that the car park is a new addition?

The players and officials never park in the public areas

The MCG has private parking underneath for such use

Remember Dusty left his car at the G for like 2 months after the granny a few years ago

They sometimes park at Punt Road and walk over but yes, otherwise under the G. I introduced myself to Tucky once under the G.

I said the current numbers would suffice once the upgrade was completed with the extra facilities (KGI, Houli foundation)

The carpark has always been part of the proposed upgrade
Nothing has changed since the initial announcement except the costs that was just an initial estimate

Where are you getting your information that the car park is a new addition?
No it wasn’t. It was a modification based on the original plans to go from the current number to about an extra 150 spots. Hence, three levels underground. This is the major reason nothing has happened for the last two years. The numbers were right originally , but they’ve upgraded them to pay for their big nob mates etc etc. KGI and Houli foundation can pay for their own parking nearby and again that’s a luxury members shouldn’t be paying for. I want player facilities better than the dogs and every other club over a useless expensive car park that takes up three levels of space. Two thirds of that space could be used for other player development , training , scientific and strategic facilities. Car spots in that area are of no benefit to the RFC players as private spots are available within walking distance. Land is like platinum in Richmond and building up is the go as I stated earlier in this thread , but most of the levels need to go into rooms and player facilities as we have so many clubs involved ( four was mentioned) plus all those other organisations and who knows what the future will bring.

Last edited:
The new sports hall and gym are being built on 2 levels of the car park, so it's not really an either-or kind of thing:
pro38.jpg
pro39.jpg

Also worth mentioning the Traffic Impact Assessment Report prepared by One Mile Grid calculated that with the proposed new capacity of 8000, the number of car parking spaces required is 224. The proposed redevelopment will have 260 spaces, so a little more than the bare minimum, with 160 of them on the bottom level.

You’ve lost the plot. The car park is under ground what sort of bizarre under ground lair design were you hoping for?

Plus the expense is in the excavation so if the design has enough space above ground for what we need (with windows and everything!) and you were scrapping the car park because we hate the shadowy elite taking over the club why still spend all the money to excavate?
??? You Can build cheaper going up. … lol 😜 lost the plot? 😝

Precisely how? Sit in "your seat" trying to project your insecurities onto others because they question 10 to 20% of the project and have a different opinion? Its clear to everyone that's all you bring to this thread.

At least Muddiemoose is probing in the right direction.
My seat lol you really are a clown, what business in its right mind builds a huge development with no parking, get a brain

Remove this Banner Ad

News Jack Dyer Stand may go in $60m Punt Road Oval redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back