Traded Jack Fitzpatrick [to Hawthorn for pick #94]

Remove this Banner Ad

Which begs the question about why not getting a game at Melbourne?
Can't say Gawn took his spot as Gawn has been playing ruck and Melbourne need KPP's other than Hogan/McDonald right?
We had McDonald, Dunn, Garland, Howe in defense, he could have got a fill in gig in the forward line when Pedo got injured but Dawes got the gig due to seniority or something.

We had McDonald, Dunn, Garland, Howe in defense, he could have got a fill in gig in the forward line when Pedo got injured but Dawes got the gig due to seniority or something.

Thanks for the insight. Given Dawes was retained as well indicates that the club rate Dawes (and Pedo) higher than Fitzpatrick which to me suggests Fitz is very limited - which of course is to be expected when someone is pick 94 insurance - but does suggest best 22 is unlikely to me.

Thanks for the insight. Given Dawes was retained as well indicates that the club rate Dawes (and Pedo) higher than Fitzpatrick which to me suggests Fitz is very limited - which of course is to be expected when someone is pick 94 insurance - but does suggest best 22 is unlikely to me.
At a guess Roos didn't like his defensive efforts/running as a forward in 2014 so they made him a back this season for both VFL and when he got called up. He's a better forward than Dawes though, just wasn't considered for the gig. I wouldn't say he's in your best team but if you want a tall who can take a grab in the forward line and play a small amount of ruck he might be your best fit. His game is better on a team like the Hawks than for us, he's tall, quick and has good hands, chances are your guys would managed to hit him with a pass on the full.

He is obviously insurance. Or he would be the cheapest recruit ever by a premiership side.

He will play a lot of Box Hill and then earns a chance like everyone else.

I reckon he will be a very handy pick-up for the Hawks. From the limited game time I've seen of him, he's been underrated.

He will struggle to get any where near Hawthorns team, flatters to decisive he isn't very good and would need to make a massive leap to prove other wise. You will know things are going badly if he ends up getting a gig at some point

We have a good record for getting something out of these players, even if it is only for a season.

We have a good record for getting something out of these players, even if it is only for a season.
I don't doubt the Hawks, but having watched him struggle to get a game at one of the worst sides of the modern era I just don't see him getting close to your team, I just don't think he's very good

I honestly can't see him adapting to the Hawks style of play, have a look at how he kicks, he has the worst kicking action in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a player here, just not as a ruckman. KPF is probably his best position. His speed and skills below his knees are amazing for a guy his size, but strength and kicking are below par. I think his biggest issue is he's not a smart footballer.... has a habit of going missing for 3 quarters only to bob up and show something spectacular.

I'm happy he's got a second shot and would like to see him crack the Hawks team, but can't see it happening.

There's a player here, just not as a ruckman. KPF is probably his best position. His speed and skills below his knees are amazing for a guy his size, but strength and kicking are below par. I think his biggest issue is he's not a smart footballer.... has a habit of going missing for 3 quarters only to bob up and show something spectacular.

I'm happy he's got a second shot and would like to see him crack the Hawks team, but can't see it happening.
He is big and he can run fast, but he's not much good at footy, sad but true. What's the saying big guys get years to show they can't play, little blokes get weeks to show they can

He kicks more goals than Dawes but isn't expressly a 'better' forward, because his work rate is way down. I'm not a Dawes fan and always liked Fitzy, but hating Dawes has more to do with his output vs what we paid than reality because his work rate is far superior. Fitzy is quick, a good mark and a decent quick. He'll be a good full back against the taller full forwards, but he needs a consistent chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep,agreed.
You can teach smarts, train him to be stronger but you can't teach natural ability.... So I recon we have on ehere but is a couple of years away.

And once again we win trade week.
We didn't win it. We were winners of the trade period but we weren't the best. Our winnings from this trade period will show in 2016 trade period-2018 trade period. There is a clear tactic Hawthorn are doing here.

Back on to the direct topic though.
great pickup by the Hawks. Perfect player for or requirements. can play as ruckman, back and forward. Should really help us next year.
he could be a premiership player by this time next year. just ask Jonathan 'Joffa' Simpkin.
Fitzpatrick hasn't set as back at all in tems of draft position. We'll use our first 3 picks and promote Heatherley with our 4th.

I don't doubt the Hawks, but having watched him struggle to get a game at one of the worst sides of the modern era I just don't see him getting close to your team, I just don't think he's very good
Don't want to bag out the Melbourne coaching and development staff but i can think that Hawthorn would know how to get much more out of him. Just like Sydney does with guys like Laidler and Richards thriving under Sydney's management. Crisp going from Brisbane to Collingwood, He has jumped up.
Lower clubs are down the bottom because they are not managed as well as other clubs. He will be ok.

Hawthorn won't magically turn him into a star. He'll be a role player who will no doubt be back up. With Hale retiring and Grimley delisted I suspect he is additional cover in case of emergency. He can play forward and back and despite his size is more a pinch hitter in the ruck.
Watching Hawks over past few years Clarko has them well drilled and when injuries strike the bring in another soldier who fills a role. He plays the role well and then goes back to Box Hill. Not to say that player won't become a good player in the future though.

After Cheney and Cameron Bruce I will temper my expectations of big Fitz. If Ceglar can't get his back right Fitz might be a chance, I get the feeling Pittonet will get first crack though.

Don't want to bag out the Melbourne coaching and development staff but i can think that Hawthorn would know how to get much more out of him. Just like Sydney does with guys like Laidler and Richards thriving under Sydney's management. Crisp going from Brisbane to Collingwood, He has jumped up.
Lower clubs are down the bottom because they are not managed as well as other clubs. He will be ok.
Time will tell, but to me he showed next to nothing in 6 full years at Melbourne not all of that can be attributed to rubbish development and Paul Roos was the king of polishing turds at Sydney. From all accounts he is a great bloke and best of luck to him, but from what I've seen at both vfl and afl level he just isn't good enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jack Fitzpatrick [to Hawthorn for pick #94]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back