Player Watch Jack Gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

I really hope he stays.

Loved hearing that the young group is tight-knit, and hopefully as he said, he really does want to get out there with them and gets on board with Sam’s vision.

paywall, what does it say

A short rewrite of the surgery details that were released by the club, combined with rehash of Eddie’s unconfirmed “news” about Gunston being unhappy with the Clarkson-Mitchell moves, padded out by a bunch of quotes from Matthew Lloyd speculating on whether Gunston will leave the club based on no actual inside information.

paywall, what does it say
He has a disc bulge that was treated with surgery but flared up again during his one game back. There are no details about the surgery but I presume it is a second attempt to deal with the disc bulge.

Most of the story is about speculation that he will be traded. This is based on the needs of other clubs our rebuild situation and his status as a Clarkson loyalist. Apparently Collingwood has indicated interest but there may be others. He is contracted to 2022 so a trade will be required.

We have a history of letting loyal servants of the club go cheap. My best guess is that his true trade value would be a low second round, given his age and injury problems. If he wants to go, we could accept a low third round pick.

Yeah, this doesn't sound great.
If you're talking about his future at Hawks I didn't read anything in that article that indicate anything more than what's already been outlined in media already.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can't see other clubs stumping up much for him with one failed return from a back injury and now more surgery. Alarm bells given his age.

I'd be surprised if he wanted to leave.

Can't see other clubs stumping up much for him with one failed return from a back injury and now more surgery. Alarm bells given his age.

I'd be surprised if he wanted to leave.
This. Almost guarantees he stays now. Has zero trade value.
I'm fine with that. Want to keep him anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd assume the air has cleared a bit since the meeting also. He's noticed that things are progressing well on field even with the pending departure of Clarko. Hopefully swayed him to stay.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Second surgery?
Bro, talk to Joe Rogan and get hooked up with some stem cell therapy!

This stuff actually works, only reason we don't see more of it and other things like PRP injections in the AFL is that it's cost prohibitive for most of our athletes. The only players that can go off and do crazy things in the hopes of recovering quicker are the millionaires of the game.

I do wonder about the science of AFL injury management a lot of the time. I can't help but cringe every time a player with an injury is iced up immediately after leaving the field given what we know now about injury management - someone like sven_inc could probably expand further or correct me if I'm wrong, but ice actually plays a negative role in the ongoing recovery from most injuries.

It's over.
Players just don't come back the same from these injuries, let alone if they re-occur and need a second surgery.
It was silly when he said the surgery went well - he won't know for 2-3 months until he starts doing some serious work again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jack Gunston!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back