Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Pick 46, Jack O'Sullivan

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack O’Sullivan (27 disposals, 1 goal, 7 marks)

“Sul had some great numbers on the stats sheet and he had some really good moments. He kicked 1.3, so he’s got to start to get better in front of goal and be a bit more consistent in that space, he knows that though. However, to have 11 score involvements is a great output from him. He has some areas of his game that he knows he needs to get better at, but the beauty with all of our draftees is that they’re aware of the areas they need to improve in. Improvement is not linear, similar to development – it has its ups and downs – so he’ll continue to work and get better. His 27 disposals was his highest this year for us. The next step for him for him is getting involved in defence better and understanding how to defend at this level. If you’re a step off, the opposition can go back through you, better yet at AFL level if he gets his opportunity there. You’ve got to be right on your toes and defend ruthlessly in this space.”

Has kicked 4.8 this season.
If that was 8.4 for the season - you'd think he'd be a shoe-in to make the seniors in the next couple of weeks.

Still might!

In all honesty though, if he starts slotting a few and gets that tackling aggression going, should definitely get opportunities with Wingard and Bruest yet to capture their best form.

Really need to make the most (or more) of his opportunities. He's a real live wire player.

On Thursday at training after the session was winding down there was a moment where JO'S went 1v1 against Impey - JO'S had the ball at the 50 and Impey was essentially just trying to chase him down. JO'S would have put Michael Flatley to shame, he was dancing around Impey, sending him twisting and turning for about 15 seconds before snapping a goal. It was great to watch, and in fairness to Impey he kept on him the entire time, where I expect others would have fallen over.

Box Hill Coach Zane Littlejohn gives his review of each AFL-listed Hawk following his side’s 39-point victory over Southport on Saturday.

Jack O’Sullivan (15 disposals, 7 score involvements, 5 marks)

“Jack was lively up forward again. He could’ve had a really nice day out, but his inaccurate goalkicking unfortunately got him. He got to play a little bit around the stoppage this week which is great for him. He reconnects really well with the forwards when he goes there. Jack’s arguably one of the hardest workers on our list at Hawthorn. He’ll get to work this week and he’ll continue to work really hard with myself and Chris Newman and the forwards to make sure that it doesn’t become too much of a habit with him.”

JOC was great with his skills in his draft year and in a few VFL games. But he has greatly underperformed with his skills in later VFL games...And then got injured. I have no idea how a person loses their skills… but I have experienced it as my skills as a batsmen disappeared for 2 years… and I only got them back by taking up Keeping.

Bringing in Ginnivan is not good for Jack.

Or it will tell him that this year is it! JOC vs Ginni.

I am 100% on the JOC train. Clean up your disposal (that was once great) and never fear creativity in the fwd line (Ginni’s only talent). JOC, you will never get the chance to be an AFL footballer ever again with the massive money attached. You have all of the talent: commit or run. If I was you, I’d commit.

Always chase, be fitter than the other, become the footballer you know is worthy of being you in the AFL.
WTF?

I watch most Box Hill games and thought Jack had a pretty good debut season.

He’s agile, evasive and makes things happen, however his finishing let him down in a few games where he could have ended with 3-4 goals. I felt he could steady a little more, but can be due to him still picking up the pace of senior football.

Remember he is the youngest player on the list (turns 19 today).

With him, Ginnivan, Butler, Bennetts (and maybe Wiz) we have solid competition for small forward spots over the next couple of years.

Last edited:
JOC was great with his skills in his draft year and in a few VFL games. But he has greatly underperformed with his skills in later VFL games...And then got injured. I have no idea how a person loses their skills… but I have experienced it as my skills as a batsmen disappeared for 2 years… and I only got them back by taking up Keeping.

I am 100% on the JOC train. Clean up your disposal (that was once great) and never fear creativity in the fwd line (Ginni’s only talent). JOC, you will never get the chance to be an AFL footballer ever again with the massive money attached. You have all of the talent: commit or run. If I was you, I’d commit.

Always chase, be fitter than the other, become the footballer you know is worthy of being you in the AFL.
Who's JOC?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon it is meant to be JOS

hmm. I was working on the basis that this being the off-season it was a coded message from an ITK.

Consider the 2 numbers that appear in the text : 2 and 100

Let's convert from binary to decimal...

(100)₂ = (1 × 2²) + (0 × 2¹) + (0 × 2⁰) = (4)₁₀

That gives us the number 4. We have Pick 4 in the draft.

Coincidence ? :think:

And it is 4 using the Base 10 number system
Who did Twomey recently have as Pick 10 in his Phantom Draft?

Connor O'Sullivan

What rhymes with JOS ?

COS

So something to do with our Pick 4 and Connor O'Sullivan.

But you're probably right.

hmm. I was working on the basis that this being the off-season it was a coded message from an ITK.

Consider the 2 numbers that appear in the text : 2 and 100

Let's convert from binary to decimal...

(100)₂ = (1 × 2²) + (0 × 2¹) + (0 × 2⁰) = (4)₁₀

That gives us the number 4. We have Pick 4 in the draft.

Coincidence ? :think:

And it is 4 using the Base 10 number system
Who did Twomey recently have as Pick 10 in his Phantom Draft?

Connor O'Sullivan

What rhymes with JOS ?

COS

So something to do with our Pick 4 and Connor O'Sullivan.

But you're probably right.
I have never looked for hidden messages on the big footy site. But hey you maybe on to something!

No wonder I am missing out on so much inside info! I always thought there was a private Hawks club / inbox for the ITK updates of those whom are considered worthy 🤣😆 ( which I am not lol considered worthy - lmao)

But maybe it’s being looking at me the whole time!

Here’s hoping Jos has a good preseason, so we can see his work on the VFL side or AFL.

Kid turned 19 yesterday and his AFL career is at the crossroads?
Adam Sandler GIF by IFC

Anyone seen/heard how JOS is going this pre-season? With Ginni and The Wizard now on the list is there really any chance of him making his debut this year? I haven't seen him play other than his highlights package so excuse the ignorance of this question but is there a chance he could be reinvented down back like Hardwick? I hope the kid makes it and gets a clear run with injuries.

Anyone seen/heard how JOS is going this pre-season? With Ginni and The Wizard now on the list is there really any chance of him making his debut this year? I haven't seen him play other than his highlights package so excuse the ignorance of this question but is there a chance he could be reinvented down back like Hardwick? I hope the kid makes it and gets a clear run with injuries.
Seemed to be tracking well until a recent injury. Not sure how serious you could raise it on the 2024 pre season thread. I really like him I see him coming in for Breust when he retires. As you say needs to get his body right or he won’t make it.

3 goals.
Where's he at?
Only played a half first game back. Was a real spark. Needs a good block of games staying on the park to put himself in the frame. He’s got good intensity and creativity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Pick 46, Jack O'Sullivan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back