Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the big lesson is this kids immaturity puts pressure on the club as a whole and it’s just pointless.. It just provided clear motivation for the opposition.. The club has to go in and bat for him, the captain needed to get wrapped up in it.. The Port coach acted like a peanut for sure, but it doesn’t happen if Ginavin thinks about the team over himself.. I wonder if the internal message to Ginavin is stronger than the one provided in the media.. I hope so, cause he’s got to learn from moments like this.. On the field, this guy provides so much, but he needs to get past the off field BS..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Its such a load of sh*t this. Its really just ceremonial motivation. People surely don't think as port players were out there that they were leaning on a ginni quote to keep running two ways deep into red time when the legs just don't want to go anymore... to attack the ball harder, to apply constant pressure. etc etc...

All that's going through theirs minds is where the ball is, where is my man, where do i need to run to and are we winning, if not, we need to do something to get in front....

Then after the game if you win, you role out the lines about leaning into the quote pre game, even though 90 seconds in 99% of the players had totally forgotten about it.
The motivation was to get to a prelim final, not to get back at Jack. It's just ridiculous.

Why do you Collingwood folk care so much

You didn’t want him, you traded him

And yet here you are
I wanted him. I didn't trade him. I have followed his career at Hawthorn with interest. In fact, I was barracking for Hawthorn last night largely so I would have the opportunity to see him play in the finals.

Its such a load of sh*t this. Its really just ceremonial motivation. People surely don't think as port players were out there that they were leaning on a ginni quote to keep running two ways deep into red time when the legs just don't want to go anymore... to attack the ball harder, to apply constant pressure. etc etc...

All that's going through theirs minds is where the ball is, where is my man, where do i need to run to and are we winning, if not, we need to do something to get in front....

Then after the game if you win, you role out the lines about leaning into the quote pre game, even though 90 seconds in 99% of the players had totally forgotten about it.
The motivation was to get to a prelim final, not to get back at Jack. It's just ridiculous.

I don’t really care if you agree or not.. The proof was there actually, they played like men possessed at the start of the match.. they were at fever pitch, and we went more than a quarter before we put a goal on the board.. Are you certain that Ginavins comments didn’t contribute to that in any way?? I don’t think you can be sure at all.. Hinkley admitted the comment was constantly referred to, so my point is, if it’s not said there is no ammunition. All good you don’t agree…

I don’t really care if you agree or not.. The proof was there actually, they played like men possessed at the start of the match.. they were at fever pitch, and we went more than a quarter before we put a goal on the board.. Are you certain that Ginavins comments didn’t contribute to that in any way?? I don’t think you can be sure at all.. Hinkley admitted the comment was constantly referred to, so my point is, if it’s not said there is no ammunition. All good you don’t agree…

You don't think the fact they got belted by 80 odd points last week may have had something to do with it?

If they truly needed Ginni's comment to fire up, then they are weak minded fools and will get smashed by Sydney.

If anything, they've shown Ginni that he can get into their heads real easy.

I was very sceptical when we got Ginni . Just wasn't sure on field he would be much value . I was expecting him to be in and out of the side.
Was totally wrong . Has had a great season and he can and will get better .

We knew what we were getting when we traded for him re the off field stuff . That's him and for the most part you need to embrace that as long as the performance is there .

He is an easy target , but he does put it out there too.
Last week no way cost us the game .
I do think he will have learned from it though . Only he knows if if was directed to an ex teamate or a dig to Port.
I don't care really tbh .

I'm glad he is with us though , he is a vital member of our team and club going forward

Jack should not have made the comment in such a public domain, brought unnecessary attention and certainly used as ammunition. They came out with insane intensity and we struggled to breathe in the first term..
I’m saying that, Jack had a great first season in the brown and gold. Kicked goals, contributed in transition and through the middle of the park in a number of games. I think he tired out towards the end of the season and he is still very young at 21. Will get better and more importantly needs to get a little smarter. Well done on a fantastic year 👍

It’s very simple psychologically when entering the field. The quote stays with you, Hinkley would surely have used it in a way that Ginnivan was laughing at his players deeming them unworthy of playing off in a prelim..clearly added another layer to their ferociousness early. No one is saying it contributed in any way to our loss but it definitely contributed to their attack on the ball and the man.
Not judging Ginnivan based on the tweet and I love his bravado and celebrations on field but have to be a little smarter at times off the field and that will come with getting older.

The motivation and pressure for both teams is making a preliminary final, not getting back at some social media comment.

It's just a bit of extra "haha **** you" after the game for Port fans, and apparently their 60 year old coach

This off field social media banter will become the norm over the next decade as the next generation enters the comp. Get used to it or become old man yelling at cloud complaining about how everyone was tougher and everything was better back in your day.
Hi Hawks fans, commiserations. All crows fans were hoping you won, esp in a heartbreaking manner for Power. Amazing season. Genuinely stunned of the improvement and your recruiting (trading and drafting) last 2-3 years possibly leagues best, or near to.

I followed Port Adelaide’s culture and mindset in the local league for decades. It’s an “us against them” mentality, have no doubt Hinkley used this issue as major motivation during the week with the word “RESPECT” written on the whiteboard.

You may say it doesn’t matter but personally safer to avoid provoking an opposition in such a situation especially knowing this would be a key motivator for their small minded mentality.

All the best next year and prospects look good with incoming trades and fit Day and Lewis.

I posted earlier in the thread about how Ginnivan draws me to watch the Hawks. There is Capper, Dermie quality about the kid. Loss of characters in the game started in the late 90s imo, so it's refreshing to see a genuine character.

I believe that Ginni didn't mean to troll Port but was bantering with an ex team mate. He learnt his lesson this week. He is only 21. It's shame that he inadvertently gave Port a motivation. Ironically, it also exposed Hinkley's facade, nasty man with a fake, 'woe is me' persona.

Sam Mitchell for the coach of the year. Hawks, along with Giants play the attractive game. Better year coming up!

Change of topic... I'd like to see Ginni spend his summer working on acceleration and top speed.

IMO It's probably the weakest point of his game. He gets around it with creativity and smarts, but opposition doesn't fear his ability to break away from congestion or run down tackle like Watson can.

He's very slow but makes up for it with his high footy IQ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Change of topic... I'd like to see Ginni spend his summer working on acceleration and top speed.

IMO It's probably the weakest point of his game. He gets around it with creativity and smarts, but opposition doesn't fear his ability to break away from congestion or run down tackle like Watson can.

Ginni significantly improved his work-rate and pressure this season. He was running a lot more up the ground to link, and applying more defensive pressure than he used to at Collingwood.

Should be shadowing Bruest all offseason who also lacked the top end speed but made up for it with positioning.

Sis dribbles one that miss’s by inches
Moore smacks the post
Sis then smacks the post
A ball drops a foot short Of Mc with 4sec to go …

They late cost us a win ….. not Ginny and ports use of his tweet .
( don’t even get me started of Chol pinged for to far , a ball that falcons a Port player only to bounce to their advantage for a goal or the push used to get PORTS last goal )

Luck not motivation was our enemy

If Ginny’s comments hurt Port so much, why did they play one of their least likely to cause him any physical harm on him? There was no real aggression towards him during the game.

It’s just a great deflection for their insipid efforts in their QF.

As others have said, it wasn’t Ginny’s fault that Sic missed two he would normally kick, or that Moore rushed one that he would he normally kick.

I’ll tell you what I like

Even though Ginni had apologised internally and acknowledged his stupidity BEFORE the game, his coach, his captain and his team mates STILL HAD HIS BACK and VERY publicly continued to support him

Ask Josh Rachele who got the better outcome and who the better club is and who will grow from and respect that support

Even though Ginni had apologised internally and acknowledged his stupidity BEFORE the game, his coach, his captain and his team mates STILL HAD HIS BACK and VERY publicly continued to support him

Ask Josh Rachele who got the better outcome and who the better club is and who will grow from and respect that support
Bloody oath. I just can't wait for next year so that we can dose out our own version of karma for the Jonathan Browns of this world

What this whole saga has shown is the amount of hate and anger in our society, quite sad really.
Kid having a bit of fun, yet thousands, upon thousands can't wait to join the queue and pile on.
Pathetic!!!
Its a shame that most of the footy public are like this. Any player showing some personality and people are just waiting to bring them down (not just hawks players). If there are a couple things the afl is in lack of its personality and competent leadership at the top.

Even with Hinkley, there is no way it needed an investigation/fine. I love that he went back at Jack/Hawks, i just wish it was in the lead up to the game, rather than waiting to see if they win to clap back and stand up for his club, then doing it on field straight after the game.
It just adds so much to a game when clubs/players have some back and forth in the days into the game.

Jack Ginnivan is a revolutionary figure in this game and so wrapt he is with the Hawks.
He is dragging the conservative AFL into the new social media world that exists in sports everywhere. He is an enormous reason for the momentum that swept us into the finals to the point where 97,800 people came to an elimination final against Bullldogs. What he has given to the club culture and family following is insane. The confidence and swagger that he has brought to all of the forward line is vastly underestimated. Everyone walks taller around him.
In years, he will be seen as the first of many Gen Z players who will revolutionise the game and how it is followed.
Ken Hinkley is an old man who is soon gone. A relic of times gone by. He won't be remembered for anything.

100%

Great point. That game will unite the players.

Reckon Hawthorn won't have Hinkley on the whiteboard when we play them next time... provided he's still coaching Port.

Jack Ginnivan is a revolutionary figure in this game and so wrapt he is with the Hawks.
He is dragging the conservative AFL into the new social media world that exists in sports everywhere. He is an enormous reason for the momentum that swept us into the finals to the point where 97,800 people came to an elimination final against Bullldogs. What he has given to the club culture and family following is insane. The confidence and swagger that he has brought to all of the forward line is vastly underestimated. Everyone walks taller around him.
In years, he will be seen as the first of many Gen Z players who will revolutionise the game and how it is followed.
Ken Hinkley is an old man who is soon gone. A relic of times gone by. He won't be remembered for anything.

Two of the most sensible things said about this whole storm in a teacup have been by Sic.

Firstly: “People forget that he is 21, a lot of grown men are infatuated with the way he lives his life which sometimes feels a bit embarrassing.”

And secondly, he noted that the only thing that really mattered was that it spilled over into Breust’s 300 celebration.

These kids own the game now. The sooner the older generations realise that and either adapt or get of the way, the better.

Two of the most sensible things said about this whole storm in a teacup have been by Sic.

Firstly: “People forget that he is 21, a lot of grown men are infatuated with the way he lives his life which sometimes feels a bit embarrassing.”

And secondly, he noted that the only thing that really mattered was that it spilled over into Breust’s 300 celebration.

In no small part because of him
Will ruffle some feathers but I hope he recognised his part in that

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Jack Ginnivan!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back