Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if we keep him at the Saints next year that he'll retire. He wants to be closer to his family I get that.

He'll end up at Geelong next year. But not for free.
this is really simple
geelong will offer pick circa 40 and thats it
- if st kilda do the right thing he will walk away from his contract and sign a 2 year deal with geelong based on incentives low base

st kilda needs picks, and i get it, but geelong are not going to burn them, he was overweight and could not play more than a handful of games this year
lets not be precious

st kilda can not be locked into stevens for another 12months

this is really simple
geelong will offer pick circa 40 and thats it
- if st kilda do the right thing he will walk away from his contract and sign a 2 year deal with geelong based on incentives low base

st kilda needs picks, and i get it, but geelong are not going to burn them, he was overweight and could not play more than a handful of games this year
lets not be precious

st kilda can not be locked into stevens for another 12months

Probably accurate. I think if Geelong offered to take on his salary + a third rounder would be sufficient for us.

We'll flick that pick over to Port for Paddy Ryder, job done.

Probably accurate. I think if Geelong offered to take on his salary + a third rounder would be sufficient for us.

We'll flick that pick over to Port for Paddy Ryder, job done.
he has said he would waive salary requirement if traded to geelong
i think everyone is playing games for now

this will get done, and it will not be done for pick 20

Yeah but we can easily pay his salary we don't need a salary dump, that is not a problem. Geelong however can't pay his salary. So if they want him they will need us to pay his wages, I presume they do want him given all the talk over the past 6 months and the years of tapping him up before that. We have lots of space in the salary cap and no picks, you have no salary cap space and lots of picks, or you will once Kelly is completed, seems a straight forward transaction, give us something we can use to get our trades done and we pay the wages. Maybe you are right though perhaps your lot are looking for an excuse to back out of the commitment they made to him.

We are fine for cap space.

It's too bad we don't have the option to have conditional draft picks like they have in the NFL. I think from everyone's perspective if it was pick 40 with a 2020 2nd round pick attached on the proviso that he plays more than 18 games next year. I think then everybody would be happy.

That's interesting, bit like what happens with transfer fees in association football.

Is anything actually stopping them from doing what you suggest? But just unofficially?

So from what I understand Geelong is walking away from this trade, the Saints want more than Geelong can afford. I personally think it's best for all parties involved except for maybe Jack himself but he has the option to retire or play another year for the Saints and then doing what he likes.

Saints fans would you be happy if you retained Steven?

So from what I understand Geelong is walking away from this trade, the Saints want more than Geelong can afford. I personally think it's best for all parties involved except for maybe Jack himself but he has the option to retire or play another year for the Saints and then doing what he likes.

How do you 'understand' geelong are walking away from the trade? And yes, more than happy to keep him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think every Saints fan would love Steven to stay.

Yes, of course.

He'll play some good footy for us this year and If he walks as a FA we get more than what the Cats are offering this year. That's a double win.

I doubt the Cats are walking away though. They'll just be trying to drag his value down and then come back on the last day.

Don't see what St Kilda get out of letting him go for pick 57. Can't really see them being able to get any of their targets for that pick.

I know there is a thought that he'd retire if he doesn't get the move. Maybe Saints will be good guys and say "you've given us 10 good years, we don't want you to have to retire so here's you're move" but they'd be well in their right to ask for 36 or keep him to his contract. Theres really no difference to the Saints whether he retires or plays for Geelong

Don't see what St Kilda get out of letting him go for pick 57. Can't really see them being able to get any of their targets for that pick.

I know there is a thought that he'd retire if he doesn't get the move. Maybe Saints will be good guys and say "you've given us 10 good years, we don't want you to have to retire so here's you're move" but they'd be well in their right to ask for 36 or keep him to his contract. Theres really no difference to the Saints whether he retires or plays for Geelong
I think pick 36 is the part of the Venn diagram which overlaps. Half way between a pick in the 20s and a pick in the 50s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back