Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

I really think Geelong's interest is lukewarm.

We have a massive hole in the 23-27 age bracket that needs to be rectified and giving up draft capital and salary cap space for another player 29+ does nothing to solve that problem. I'm a little disappointed we haven't targeted a winger in the 23-27 age bracket rather than Steven.
There’s a guy called Brad Hill at Freo that fits that description.

Yeah but the deals you were talking about were OOC players changing salary (easy) or contracted guys changing their frontloading/backloading to fit Kelly in but they still get the same $ over the total course of the deal.

For example i think we can legally give Steven 800 200 200 over 3 years (av 400) but i dont think we can rip up the 2020 800k and start anew. Only the clubs would know the legalities.
If player agrees to a ne wage, they can do it. 'if you want to get to geelong, both we and the cats can't afford the money you are on. Either stay with us on your wage or get to geelong on the wage Geelong are willing to pay'. lets see how much he wants the money or play for Geelong

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Gotta laugh at all these Geelong supporters that were happy to keep tim Kelly even though he moved interstate with his autistic children and milk west coast for every cent, then turn around and have a crack at the saints for not letting someone leave on compassionate grounds.

Says the club that won't even give up a 3rd round pick for a former 26 year old Pick 1 KPF, who's completely fit at the moment. Yet we have to give up more than that for a 29 year old player like Steven (30 next year) who has had his share of issues this year, and even contemplated retirement.

Not one Geelong supporter thinks St Kilda should let him go, if they don't want to. We honestly have very little interest (neither does Wells from the look of it). The only reason something will happen, is because Jack himself wants to get back closer to home. If that doesn't happen, then he stays with St Kilda and hopefully they can work through it.

Most have maintained the stance that it's better for all if Steven stays at the Saints next year. So you can take your little 'double standards' post and your little 'I hate Geelong mentality' and scurry back to your board. This one backfired spectacularly.

Bye bye.

Says the club that won't even give up a 3rd round pick for a former 26 year old Pick 1 KPF, who's completely fit at the moment. Yet we have to give up more than that for a 29 year old player like Steven (30 next year) who has had his share of issues this year, and even contemplated retirement.

Not one Geelong supporter thinks St Kilda should let him go, if they don't want to. We honestly have very little interest (neither does Wells from the look of it). The only reason something will happen, is because Jack himself wants to get back closer to home. If that doesn't happen, then he stays with St Kilda and hopefully they can work through it.

Most have maintained the stance that it's better for all if Steven stays at the Saints next year. So you can take your little 'double standards' post and your little 'I hate Geelong mentality' and scurry back to your board. This one backfired spectacularly.

Bye bye.
Yeah well one of these players is actually wanted by his club, the other is pushing their player out, ones a four time bnf and one of the only reasons supporters turned upto games for years and the other has missed over 3 years with knee reconstructions and wasn’t in great form before he did his last, so maybe you should take that into account. All you have to do is read through this thread and you’ll see plenty of Geelong supporters saying st Kilda should be looking out for the welfare of Steven. Pretty much everyone who isn’t a Geelong supporter agrees, so no this didn’t backfire spectacularly

Last edited:
Who else does Geelong have lined up to fill the void left by Kelly? How are they going to get better than this year without him?

Yes, Jack Steven is a risk, but the pay-off could be huge. His best is elite.

If Geelong didn't think they were a chance at a flag next year they would have retired Taylor, Ablett and would be making other hard choices. That hasn't happened.

I imagine there's two camps of Geelong fans on this situation.

Camp 1 would be that along with five picks in the first two rounds in this year's draft, we have Rising Star nominees Clark, Miers and Constabile (the latter who didn't get anywhere as much AFL exposure as his efforts seemed to warrant and the former two finishing in the top five in the RS voting this year) and recent additions like Ratugolea, Narkle and Atkins also looking like long term prospects, without considering the potential of others already on the list to step up and establish themselves as senior players. So there's reason to be optimistic about the improvement coming from the list that's already there.

Camp 2 would think that we gave Richmond by far its biggest scare in September, without several players who were in our best 22, including the AA FF and another AA calibre midfielder. But the clock's ticking.

Ablett and probably Taylor are gone by the end of next year, Selwood and Hawkins turn 32, Dangerfield hits 30. If Steven gets himself right physically and mentally, he will at least be a rock solid contributor, say the level of Dahlhaus this year. And he has the potential to be much, much better than that. We have four picks that are earlier (or equivalent to) the one we'd be giving away. It's worth the risk, it could be an absolute steal.

I'm in camp 2. I go back to the Mitch Clark trade in 2014 and I'd do it again even though it didn't pan out. But camp 1 doesn't seem terrible either.

I go back to the Mitch Clark trade in 2014 and I'd do it again even though it didn't pan out.

Don’t necessarily disagree with this but the big difference for me is Clark was 26 (not sure when he was turning 27) when he was traded. Steven will be 30 before the beginning of the season. Even if everything goes perfectly we won’t get a lot of good footy out of Steven. And Geelong have said numerous times they don’t do windows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah well one of these players is actually wanted by his club, the other is pushing their player out, ones a four time bnf and one of the only reasons supporters turned upto games for years and the other has missed over 3 years with knee reconstructions and wasn’t in great form before he did his last, so maybe you should take that into account. All you have to do is read through this thread and you’ll see plenty of Geelong supporters saying st Kilda should be looking out for the welfare of Steven. Pretty much everyone who isn’t a Geelong supporter agrees, so no this didn’t backfire spectacularly

And suggesting we should get him for unders for that fact?

I literally can't find any.
I can see Cats fans who don't want him at all
Cats fans who don't want him for pick 24
Cats fans who don't want him at pick 37.
Plenty discussing the merit of bringing in a 29 year old with significant risks on 800k per year.
None who are suggesting St.Kilda lack compassion.

I have seen a few "how hypocritical of Geelong" posts, but nobody can back those up with evidence.

No one cares about your club topping up with mercenaries year after year. It's not relevant to this discussion about Steven and Geelong.

I know everyone says Stephen Wells is a genius and easy to deal with.

However, surely a pick in the 30s is fair for a 4 time best and fairest who wants to come to your club.

Jack would be a surer bet than a pick in the 30s imho.

I know everyone says Stephen Wells is a genius and easy to deal with.

However, surely a pick in the 30s is fair for a 4 time best and fairest who wants to come to your club.

Jack would be a surer bet than a pick in the 30s imho.
I actually just don't think they want him at all. They've been flagging that Constable and Narkle have been earmarked for TKs role for a while and I think they want a kid playing alongside the seniors so they get continuity.

I actually just don't think they want him at all. They've been flagging that Constable and Narkle have been earmarked for TKs role for a while and I think they want a kid playing alongside the seniors so they get continuity.
Fair points.

However you get quality when you can and Jack is obviously quality.

A lot better than any player you get in the 30s, especially in your current premiership window.

Fair points.

However you get quality when you can and Jack is obviously quality.

A lot better than any player you get in the 30s, especially in your current premiership window.
Don't disagree that he'd be value at the pick provided he gets back to full fitness, but have a look at Charlie constables stats and tell me what you lose by not getting him game time. They're both good options

Don't disagree that he'd be value at the pick provided he gets back to full fitness, but have a look at Charlie constables stats and tell me what you lose by not getting him game time. They're both good options
Both Jack and Charlie could play a lot for geelong this year.

If you guys get Jack, you are a better chance at a flag than a pick in the 30s.

When have Geelong ever claimed to be helping him? Why is up to us to be helping an opposition player? Are Collingwood helping Joe Daniher?
OK. I will answer

Jack has a few mental issues. I understand this.

He wants cats but it appears cats don't care about him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jack Steven [traded to Geelong for #58]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back