Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

While I get Bulldogs supporters will want something decent for Macrae, I feel like this will end up being like a Jordan Lewis to Melbourne or Luke Hodge to Brisbane type trade for some junk pick. Macrae is clearly surplus to requirements at the Doggies and clearing his salary off the books will be worth more than a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

They are coming with no offer, other then give us to him for free. Hard to go from free to a real offer in reality. How many teams went "I want him for free", to "Okay ill give you pick 24" in history

You seem awfully invested in a trade that has nothing to do with your club

Don't really see any reason for the Dogs to give up a contracted player that we would use for free, club servant or otherwise. That said, pick 24 is fantasyland. I suspect the Saints will cough up that pick in the 40s once it comes to it

Saints/Saints supporters: 43 is too much, no way we are paying it. Future forth or gtfo

Dogs/Dogs supporters: 43 is not enough! 24 or gtfo

AFL website on day 4 of trade week: Jackson Macrae traded to the St Kilda Football Club for Pick 43

There, saved everyone weeks of reading this thread

Saints/Saints supporters: 43 is too much, no way we are paying it. Future forth or gtfo

Dogs/Dogs supporters: 43 is not enough! 24 or gtfo

AFL website on day 4 of trade week: Jackson Macrae traded to the St Kilda Football Club for Pick 43

There, saved everyone weeks of reading this thread
Exactly how this is going to play out

While I get Bulldogs supporters will want something decent for Macrae, I feel like this will end up being like a Jordan Lewis to Melbourne or Luke Hodge to Brisbane type trade for some junk pick. Macrae is clearly surplus to requirements at the Doggies and clearing his salary off the books will be worth more than a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.
I would tend to believe so as well.

I have no inside INFO, and do not know whether the trade will go through or not.

DOGS: Key if they let him go is whether Bevo sees Macrae still as a core player or not. If not then keeping a player on good coin for 3 more years at his age makes no sense, even if your salary cap is not tight. When it is a player of Macrae's standing at the Dog's they would risk a lot of team disharmony and bad blood within the playing list by effectively forcing him to stay when they no longer seemingly see him as part of their future.

SAINTS: Since they were last a contender they have done an abysmal job at drafting and trading. It is only since 2021 that we have really gotten our act together, Letting incompetents like Elshaugh, Bains and Lethlean have to much sway over our list management side of things was a key reason for this.

Bottom line at present for StKilda is that they are rebuilding the list mainly through youth, and will only add older players if their acquisition cost is cheap, and they will not be gained at the expense of quality youth as StKilda are very much in a list building phasese. Hopefully in a year or two that will change and they will be in a position to try and land some quality ready to go players to have a genuine tilt at playing in the GF and and hopefully winning it.

Now Macrea is currently a good fit for StKilda as Crouches knee is buggered. He was our best mid the year prior, and not having him was a major loss. With hopefully having both picks 7 and 8 (Depends on Battle's Compo) being quality mid prospects this year, they added to Phillipou, Garcia, Windgager, Henry, Clark and Wiison StKilda start to get what could be a pretty decent midfield with Steele and Macrae to be their mentors.

If St Kilda was more advanced and Macrae was seen as a final piece of the puzzle, then they would be prepared to use more trade capital to get him, but they are not. Macrae most likely will have come and gone before St Kilda is a true contender. If things go really well, then maybe in 2026, and he might be part of it.

So I think the deal only gets done if the Dogs (Bevo) see Macrae as now being excess to their requirements.
If the Dogs want too high a trade price then I cannot see the deal happening. Ditto with Soldo and Port.

I would love for St Kilda to be a true contender in 2025, but I think our new list management team is pragmatic enough, and good enough to know that younger players mid-twenties and younger are the players that our best draft picks will be used to acquire.

Unfortunately for the Dogs, I do not think there is another suitor who would deliver more trade capital that St Kilda would.

Last edited:
The issue is that Macrae has declined as a player and was not picked for every game ... but he was still picked in a majority of games and can offer a wealth of experience to our team if/when Treloar/Bont/Libba are injured next year. Just because Macrae's role was slightly diminished because all three of those players were generally fit this year, doesn't mean that Macrae didn't have value in the case that he wasn't.

He's now a fringe player with an overvalued contract, but he's not a nothing or negative asset. If Saints are happy to pay for 100% of his guaranteed salary, for all three years that it's guaranteed, I'm sure the Dogs are happy with nothing trade wise. If the Dogs are covering a bit of his salary next year, we'd want a pick in return, because if we're eating a bit of salary, why not just eat that salary in the context of still retaining the players' overall salary and what he may contribute next year anyway.

Lewis and Hodge didn't have three years left of guaranteed money, so the comparison isn't apt, Macrae will be on a list earning decent coin somewhere being paid by some combination of clubs in three years' time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, I dont see him being too much like those cases. If anything I'd say him and Parker are in exactly the same boat right now. Both theoretically still have plenty to give but are going to be in and out of the side next year but are very much not just a ressies player.

I want us to do the right thing by Jack as he's a much loved clubman but those decisions will be weighed up by the right people as far as everything that is involved with this from role, to cap etc.

Jack will be playing Bulldogs reserves next year - Sam Power (paraphrasing)

He played a grand total of 3 VFL games, one of them partially to gain fitness to start the season.

He was hardly banished there this year, even if we accept he is on the fringes of being among our best 20 or so players these days.

He played a grand total of 3 VFL games, one of them partially to gain fitness to start the season.

He was hardly banished there this year, even if we accept he is on the fringes of being among our best 20 or so players these days.

On any 50/50 call he made the team in 2024, directionally this is less likely in 2025.

On any 50/50 call he made the team in 2024, directionally this is less likely in 2025.
Or we can say directionally he was a past All-Australian player who had fitness issues heading into last season that impacted his overall form, and he might return to is provably All-Australian levels.

It's simpler just to assume that his output would be similar to this year. Still getting a majority of games despite being forced to play out of position at one of the best teams in the league, so therefore, at a worse team with of shortage of players in his natural position, still a valuable player.

Or we can say directionally he was a past All-Australian player who had fitness issues heading into last season that impacted his overall form, and he might return to is provably All-Australian levels.

It's simpler just to assume that his output would be similar to this year. Still getting a majority of games despite being forced to play out of position at one of the best teams in the league, so therefore, at a worse team with of shortage of players in his natural position, still a valuable player.

I wasn't questioning his output.

What do you think he was going to say?

"Thanks for having me on the show Cal, yeah looking for St Kilda to fist us on this one, really excited about it and our supporters can go **** themselves"

Nothing more than posturing. We'll pay his salary and part with pick 46. Dave Misson and Sam Power might even have a beer together afterwards given how easy this trade will be

Pick 24 or he stays. Will be stoked to keep him. The whinges can GAGF’d.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Jackson Macrae [UFA 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back