Player Watch Jackson Ramsay (Delisted 2017)

Will he or won't he?

• Yes

Votes: 106 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 52 29.7%
  • Maybe at another club

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ramsay has a go and puts in the work which is admirable and what you look for but we have better talent that can use it better by foot so no I do not think he will make it.

Scharenberg, Langdon, Seedsman, Williams, Toovey, Maynard, Goldsack and Manteit all are down back better options.

While on the wing Young, Varcoe, Seedsman, Sidebottom and Karnezis are better options.
Hold on, you have Scharenberg a better option than Ramsay? Firstly Scharenberg hasn't debuted and looks a fair way away from finding his feet. Ramsay isnt a kpp
Seedsman could easily be out the door at the end of year.
Maynard hasn't debuted.
Manteit hasn't debuted.
Toovey not long left.
Williams hardly convincing.
Goldsack not the same position.

He's hardly competing against guys that have locked down the small defensive role. He's certainly ahead of those that haven't even bloody debuted.

Hold on, you have Scharenberg a better option than Ramsay? Firstly Scharenberg hasn't debuted and looks a fair way away from finding his feet. Ramsay isnt a kpp
Maynard hasn't debuted.
Manteit hasn't debuted.
Toovey not long left.

He's hardly competing against guys that have locked down the small defensive role. He's certainly ahead of those that haven't even bloody debuted.

Scharenberg can play and likely will play off a back flank, with the potential later on to play through the midfield. As a pick 6 overall in 2013 you'd hope Scharenberg will be better than Ramsay! And having watched the last two years of his junior career, both his play through the u18 champs both years and in the SANFL at League level his play was to a higher standard then, than what Ramsay is today producing. So for me there isn't even a discussion as to whether Scharenberg (assuming healthy) should be selected ahead of Ramsay. The only question with Scharenberg is when he is healthy and in AFL condition and that with time, whenever it is this season will come I imagine.

Seedsman while others will disagree and rightfully as he was not best 22 all through last year, I consider him a best 22 player, even assuming full health. He is after Young our second best penetrator on the team list as a relatively long and willing long kick who also has excellent ability to run and carry the footy. Down back he isn't a defensive liability either as while thin he holds his own in the contest, so I desperately hope that Seedsman is retained and continues his improvement because he is one of the few outside players on our list with AFL talent.

Maynard and Manteit while they both obviously have not debuted are players I predict will be better than Ramsay. Maynard can shut down a guy if he needs to but also has rebounding ability, contested ball winning ability and tackling ability that Ramsay could only dream of having. Then Manteit can like Ramsay provide some run and carry but has better footskills to go with it. Both are superior talents and can both go past Ramsay as soon as this year.

Toovey as I'm sure you are aware is a stopper. Ramsay at AFL level is also best suited as a stopper if he is indeed needed to play at that level, having played that role much of the year at VFL level last year. Ramsay can also play off a back flank and occasionally on a wing as he can provide some run, but I'd rather not as like with Sinclair his footskills are poor.

Williams is clearly superior to Ramsay having been a fixture in our best team the past two years due to the impact he has on games as one of a small number of players on our list with gamechanging ability, Ramsay is simply a piece who can as required fit into the team and play a role. Neither can kick, but Williams has superior ground ball winning ability, intercepting ability and ability to beat his direct opponent in the 1v1 contests while providing equal or slightly better run from the back half and better versatility as someone who while he hasn't at AFL level, can also play through the midfield or forward. Other than perhaps endurance and slightly less bad footskills, Ramsay isn't clearly better than Williams in any area of the game.

Goldsack can play anywhere other than through the midfield that he likes. Forward, back. He can do what you need him to do. With Ramsay in my view anyway more a back half stopper, if Goldsack is used down back that's also the role he is best suited to, as again a superior player by role.

Maynard hasn't debuted.
Manteit hasn't debuted.
Toovey not long left.

Ramsey has more skill with the ball than williams by foot wouldn't you say

Ramsey has more skill with the ball than williams by foot wouldn't you say
I wouldn't say because no one has seen enough of Ramsay at senior level. Let him get to 20 games then I'll start judging crap like that. Williams has played enough games to know what you get, I don't think Williams can hold a player like Ramsay might be able to which could be important playing against guys like Cyril who have been smashing for four - five + years.

I wouldn't say because no one has seen enough of Ramsay at senior level. Let him get to 20 games then I'll start judging crap like that. Williams has played enough games to know what you get, I don't think Williams can hold a player like Ramsay might be able to which could be important playing against guys like Cyril who have been smashing for four - five + years.
LOL knightmare said but we have better talent that can use it better by foot so no I do not think he will make it.
Marley is not a great kick and he made it so its strange. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I would say Ramsey is the better kick out of both players anyway.

Scharenberg can play and likely will play off a back flank, with the potential later on to play through the midfield. As a pick 6 overall in 2013 you'd hope Scharenberg will be better than Ramsay! And having watched the last two years of his junior career, both his play through the u18 champs both years and in the SANFL at League level his play was to a higher standard then, than what Ramsay is today producing. So for me there isn't even a discussion as to whether Scharenberg (assuming healthy) should be selected ahead of Ramsay. The only question with Scharenberg is when he is healthy and in AFL condition and that with time, whenever it is this season will come I imagine.

Seedsman while others will disagree and rightfully as he was not best 22 all through last year, I consider him a best 22 player, even assuming full health. He is after Young our second best penetrator on the team list as a relatively long and willing long kick who also has excellent ability to run and carry the footy. Down back he isn't a defensive liability either as while thin he holds his own in the contest, so I desperately hope that Seedsman is retained and continues his improvement because he is one of the few outside players on our list with AFL talent.

Maynard and Manteit while they both obviously have not debuted are players I predict will be better than Ramsay. Maynard can shut down a guy if he needs to but also has rebounding ability, contested ball winning ability and tackling ability that Ramsay could only dream of having. Then Manteit can like Ramsay provide some run and carry but has better footskills to go with it. Both are superior talents and can both go past Ramsay as soon as this year.

Toovey as I'm sure you are aware is a stopper. Ramsay at AFL level is also best suited as a stopper if he is indeed needed to play at that level, having played that role much of the year at VFL level last year. Ramsay can also play off a back flank and occasionally on a wing as he can provide some run, but I'd rather not as like with Sinclair his footskills are poor.

Williams is clearly superior to Ramsay having been a fixture in our best team the past two years due to the impact he has on games as one of a small number of players on our list with gamechanging ability, Ramsay is simply a piece who can as required fit into the team and play a role. Neither can kick, but Williams has superior ground ball winning ability, intercepting ability and ability to beat his direct opponent in the 1v1 contests while providing equal or slightly better run from the back half and better versatility as someone who while he hasn't at AFL level, can also play through the midfield or forward. Other than perhaps endurance and slightly less bad footskills, Ramsay isn't clearly better than Williams in any area of the game.

Goldsack can play anywhere other than through the midfield that he likes. Forward, back. He can do what you need him to do. With Ramsay in my view anyway more a back half stopper, if Goldsack is used down back that's also the role he is best suited to, as again a superior player by role.
I see Ramsay as someone that could lock down a star small like Cyril. Which one of those could play that role? Having 1-2 lock down players on smalls is something we need and haven't had under Buckley.

I see Ramsay as someone that could lock down a star small like Cyril. Which one of those could play that role? Having 1-2 lock down players on smalls is something we need and haven't had under Buckley.

Toovey and Williams are our two best lock down defenders. Regardless of the size/type of opposition. That includes v Cyril you'd take either for that matchup over Ramsay. Or I would with confidence.

I see Ramsay as someone that could lock down a star small like Cyril. Which one of those could play that role? Having 1-2 lock down players on smalls is something we need and haven't had under Buckley. don't have.

Edited to remove the unnecessary swipe ;)

I thought he seemed to improve his ball use on Thursday, but so did Sinclair. I think He''l struggle to get a game ahead of Williams, Sinclair or Toovey.

Well Bucks has said on a couple of Occasions that we missed Sinclair last year so I think he rates him higher.
very similar players but i think sinclair is a bit quicker and smarter.
Ramsay is a better kick and tougher player , going to be interesting to see at the end of the year where both are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he seemed to improve his ball use on Thursday, but so did Sinclair. I think He''l struggle to get a game ahead of Williams, Sinclair or Toovey.

Shows promise at the 6minute mark bounce and composed kick to the fazz was nice compared to williams past kicks. williams was built like a brick s***house when drafted and he took his chance a few years back when the hole team was injured to get games.
Not sure if tooves done his knee that year or not for williams to get games all year but we have a different list and more depth to choose from now with many new players with same skill sets to play down back.

You a fan of Manteca knightmAre? There is limited footage on him so I don't know much about him. What was his draft year like? Is he possible good value for a rookie pick if all goes well?

Toovey and Williams are our two best lock down defenders. Regardless of the size/type of opposition. That includes v Cyril you'd take either for that matchup over Ramsay. Or I would with confidence.
Not up to it. Toovey doesn't have the same pace anymore.
Williams isn't up to it as lock down defender. Small forwards run amok against him.
This is where I believe the future is with Ramsay.

There is a reason he is on the list, let's hope he he makes it. The limited exposure to date would suggest he has the capacity. The more people pushing for spots the better.

There seems to be plenty insisting he will and also those who are adamant he won't. The answer really is he might. Best of luck to him, also think the Ox may surprise down back. Let's see!

I think he could end up being a good, ordinary footballer in the Jamie Turner mold who racks up a quiet, efficient, dependable 60 to 100 games on a half back flank.

You a fan of Manteca knightmAre? There is limited footage on him so I don't know much about him. What was his draft year like? Is he possible good value for a rookie pick if all goes well?

Are you talking about Manteit?

On Manteit the basics are he is a high motor (high level endurance runner who will go all day) with clean/precise footskills over medium distances mostly. Otherwise there isn't anything so much special about his game. It's just the thing that is impressing me with Manteit is just how extremely well he interviewed and I get the strong sense that he is a highly intelligent guy who will really put in the work and get the most out of his game. Additionally over the second half of the season from what I recall reading he was playing hurt and as such his production/performance reduced over the second half, after a fairly strong start to the season so he is likely overall better than the games I have seen him in. So while I don't have Manteit in the definitely make the grade category he is someone where I feel he firmly has a chance given he is a worker and is more a rebounder which we don't have much of down back.

Not up to it. Toovey doesn't have the same pace anymore.
Williams isn't up to it as lock down defender. Small forwards run amok against him.
This is where I believe the future is with Ramsay.

Toovey isn't as quick as he was, I'll agree with that. But at the same time there isn't anyone I've seen take great advantage of him, with his game still largely what it was. In any case v Hawthorn he'd probably have to take a Gunston or Breust anyway with Toovey to always take the general forward who offers the greatest scoreboard impact which would be one of those two.

Williams is quicker, more agile and substantially stronger than Ramsay so I don't agree with your evaluation at all that Ramsay would be better suited to that lock-down matchup. Last year Williams had more opportunities off a back flank, but ultimately I feel if Williams plays back he is best utilised as a locked defender v the oppositions most dangerous small - which in the case of Hawthorn would depending on your evaluation of their players either be Breust or Rioli.

Regardless of matchup v Hawthorn I'd have Toovey and Williams as the two deep general defenders alongside a key defender (my personal preference is Frost - though opinions here vary with many still favouring Brown). Hawthorn are a team where they just switch and move guys around so rapidly that their players are in large part without position, so as a rule v Hawthorn I wouldn't set up any specific matchups for any specific players or you'd be driven crazy with difference guys going into the centre square at every centre bounce and getting shifted out of position all the time to positions they're not comfortable playing.

Rioli overall I'm not as concerned about as I was in his debut year. He is still quick, but his form fluctuates too much and he is hurt so often that I'd be less concerned about Rioli as I would be about Roughead, Breust and Gunston who for me are now Hawthorn's three best forwards - ahead of Rioli as more consistent guys who hit the scoreboard more consistently and have a much better conversion rate.

If he Ramsay gets a chance it will be elsewhere. He has the skills and desire but there is just too much ahead of him on the depth chart. If isn't a KPP and Langdon you can see is taking the next step, Tooves is a proven winner and stopper, Williams has the speed and ball winning ability and Varcoe is lethal by foot as is young. Scharenberg will get healthy and in shape and eclipse him as well. I just don't see a chance for him with Collingwood. Better for him to be traded next year.

You always pump up a player that we are likely to lose so you can say we failed. Well done.

You always pump up a player that we are likely to lose so you can say we failed. Well done.

That's unfair! TG cops more heat than most for his opinions not fitting the norm and here we have him commenting positively on a bloke yet he still cops it...

Are you talking about Manteit?

On Manteit the basics are he is a high motor (high level endurance runner who will go all day) with clean/precise footskills over medium distances mostly. Otherwise there isn't anything so much special about his game. It's just the thing that is impressing me with Manteit is just how extremely well he interviewed and I get the strong sense that he is a highly intelligent guy who will really put in the work and get the most out of his game. Additionally over the second half of the season from what I recall reading he was playing hurt and as such his production/performance reduced over the second half, after a fairly strong start to the season so he is likely overall better than the games I have seen him in. So while I don't have Manteit in the definitely make the grade category he is someone where I feel he firmly has a chance given he is a worker and is more a rebounder which we don't have much of down back.

Toovey isn't as quick as he was, I'll agree with that. But at the same time there isn't anyone I've seen take great advantage of him, with his game still largely what it was. In any case v Hawthorn he'd probably have to take a Gunston or Breust anyway with Toovey to always take the general forward who offers the greatest scoreboard impact which would be one of those two.

Williams is quicker, more agile and substantially stronger than Ramsay so I don't agree with your evaluation at all that Ramsay would be better suited to that lock-down matchup. Last year Williams had more opportunities off a back flank, but ultimately I feel if Williams plays back he is best utilised as a locked defender v the oppositions most dangerous small - which in the case of Hawthorn would depending on your evaluation of their players either be Breust or Rioli.

Regardless of matchup v Hawthorn I'd have Toovey and Williams as the two deep general defenders alongside a key defender (my personal preference is Frost - though opinions here vary with many still favouring Brown). Hawthorn are a team where they just switch and move guys around so rapidly that their players are in large part without position, so as a rule v Hawthorn I wouldn't set up any specific matchups for any specific players or you'd be driven crazy with difference guys going into the centre square at every centre bounce and getting shifted out of position all the time to positions they're not comfortable playing.

Rioli overall I'm not as concerned about as I was in his debut year. He is still quick, but his form fluctuates too much and he is hurt so often that I'd be less concerned about Rioli as I would be about Roughead, Breust and Gunston who for me are now Hawthorn's three best forwards - ahead of Rioli as more consistent guys who hit the scoreboard more consistently and have a much better conversion rate.
It's important to have players to take over Toovey when he can no longer be as good as he was. That time might come this year or the next. He won't be around forever. It would be a mistake to delist Ramsay with Toovey nearing the end given we've invested some time in to Ramsay.
On Williams I'm not sold, thought he played his best footy in the middle when given some free license, just don't see him as a great lock down player which is what we need most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jackson Ramsay (Delisted 2017)

Back