Player Watch Jackson Ramsay (Delisted 2017)

Will he or won't he?

• Yes

Votes: 106 60.6%
  • No

Votes: 52 29.7%
  • Maybe at another club

Votes: 17 9.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ramsay has a go and puts in the work which is admirable and what you look for but we have better talent that can use it better by foot so no I do not think he will make it.

Scharenberg, Langdon, Seedsman, Williams, Toovey, Maynard, Goldsack and Manteit all are down back better options.

While on the wing Young, Varcoe, Seedsman, Sidebottom and Karnezis are better options.

Williams, Tooves, Sack are not better users.

Ramsey also has shown he can lock down on small forwards enough so to warrant promotion last year.

Think you are being harsh on him, he may not make our best 22 due to having an oversupply in his position but he may make other teams back 6's, in fact i can think of quite a few he would break into.

I think he can make it for sure. Needs to find a bit more it offensively, but his defensive and one on one work is excellent. Will need to have a good start to the year to get in front of a few others though.

I think he will make it, AFL debute as a teenager, looked comfortable at the level. Just turned 20 and has a solid tank already, like Freeman becomes more influential the longer the game goes on. Did see a few poor decisions in some of his early games but looks to have cleaned that up. Was extremely impressed with his last game.
I think Buckley will want to have a good look at Jackson this year, give him a good taste of AFL footy to see how he develops. I wouldn't expect him to jump in front of Sinclair but he will get an opportunity. He looks to be a long term piece of the puzzle for the pies.

I think Ramsay will takeover Tooveys role in a year or two.
He will fill out in this time and develop his game.
He definitely has a go but there will be competition for spots, so it all lays before him and good luck to him.

I'm coming around to yes. Ramsay has been carefully managed, and coming into his third season now. Bucks is nothing if not patient (unlike a lot of us:rolleyes:), and the kid will get more senior games this year. He is not a list clogger. We will get some returns.

He will. You know that feeling you get when you see someone playing and you just think yes we have a player here. He may not be a superstar but he will be a player that will do a job and has a red hot crack while he is at it. The run and dash he showed on the wing in our game at Launceston and the kick to Fasolo was first class and something we missed last year. He might not play much this year but when he puts on some size he is going to be a good player i think.

I'm coming around to yes. Ramsay has been carefully managed, and coming into his third season now. Bucks is nothing if not patient (unlike a lot of us:rolleyes:), and the kid will get more senior games this year. He is not a list clogger. We will get some returns.

Maybe Bucks is using personal experience, as he himself didn't debut until 21, hell he wasn't even drafted till then.

Not sure about Ramsay due to not having seen enough of him (expect we will learn a lot this year) but surprised about the lack of love for Williams. We need both rebounding and lock down defenders going forward to replace Shaw Lumumba and, in time, Toovey. So plenty of room for all types. I would have thought that Langdon Williams Scharenburg Seedsman and Sinclair are all ahead of Ramsay at this stage, he is on the second line of betting with Oxley and Young. And we all may be writing off Toovey WAY too early, at age 28 (nearly) hes still a young possum.
It's strange, for me Williams is in the same boat as Toovey and to a lesser extent Keeffe, in that they were in career best form when, for one reason or another, they were out of the team for a while and were missed sorely. Now that they are back they may not be quite AS good but seem to be at least serviceable and at best getting back into their great stopping form. And yet everyone seems to have gone completely cold on all three.

I remember Bucks saying something about Collingwood being a better team with Williams in the side, and that if he was there then the opposition wasn't winning the ball. Let's not throw him out with the bathwater just yet!

It's strange, for me Williams is in the same boat as Toovey and to a lesser extent Keeffe, in that they were in career best form when, for one reason or another, they were out of the team for a while and were missed sorely. Now that they are back they may not be quite AS good but seem to be at least serviceable and at best getting back into their great stopping form. And yet everyone seems to have gone completely cold on all three.

I remember Bucks saying something about Collingwood being a better team with Williams in the side, and that if he was there then the opposition wasn't winning the ball. Let's not throw him out with the bathwater just yet!

I'm not against Williams the competitor, in fact in this respect he is AFL elite level. But as options grow for the back six, Marley does not belong there or own a position above another player that can lock down a small forward and then redirect play with efficient disposal. Marley needs to grow his game and look for a place in the midfield where his exceptional centre of gravity and competitive nature can be fully utilised. I would have loved to have seen Marley unleashed last game against Sam Mitchell. I'd love to see him run with a player of Mitchell's intelligence just to see if Marley can influence a game (by his attack on man and ball) through the midfield.

I'm not against Williams the competitor, in fact in this respect he is AFL elite level. But as options grow for the back six, Marley does not belong there or own a position above another player that can lock down a small forward and then redirect play with efficient disposal. Marley needs to grow his game and look for a place in the midfield where his exceptional centre of gravity and competitive nature can be fully utilised. I would have loved to have seen Marley unleashed last game against Sam Mitchell. I'd love to see him run with a player of Mitchell's intelligence just to see if Marley can influence a game (by his attack on man and ball) through the midfield.
You may get your wish. Apparently Marley has been training as a tagger for a few weeks now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he can tidy up his kicking, he can be used as a genuine midfielder- could even apply forward pressure if he could find space and hit the scoreboard.

I think currently we lack a second player who has shown the capacity to play a negating role whilst providing consistent rebound. Currently, our best back four is ridiculously one dimensional, filled with individuals that provide little run out of defense which often leads to our bombing in hope approach. Ramsay if developed the right way could fill that role. He has the height and the athletic ability to be an effective rebounder whilst being able to play on multiple opponents. Personally I see Williams beginning to rotate through the middle at some stage this year and Ramsay has done very little wrong in his limited opportunities. He's certainly not the first name on my "to cut" list

Had a great 5-10 minute chat with Jackson last night at the HOF dinner. Terrific kid with an exceptional attitude. Was a pleasure to chat 2. In summary, he feels incredibly confident on the back of his second full pre season and after playing the last couple of games in 2015, feels as though he can play at the level. Said he loves Melbourne and now also feels settled outside the football club. Effectively, had the same chat with Jono Marsh also and similarly, ripping bloke. Wish both these lads all the best and hope they go on to have solid careers at the footy club.

Was always a big fan or Ramma because he wears my number 31. But after seeing him in Tasmania live I'm now convinced he will not make it.

He made a lot of mistakes, looked lost most of the time. And his tackles don't stick.

I can't question his endeavour because he has a real crack, but apart from 2 plays on the wing he showed very little against an undermanned Hawks side.

Hope he gets a chance at another club, but he will be on the outter at the end of this season IMO

I just wanna know what hine saw in him....who was picked after him out of curiosity

A courageous and composed defender with pace and an excellent work rate. Ramsay broke into the senior side for the first time in the penultimate round of 2014. It followed several weeks of consistent football in the VFL, where he successfully blanketed some of the state league's best small forward. The second youngest player on an AFL list in his debut year, Ramsay's discipline and tenacity at the contest has made him an important part of the Collingwood VFL side in recent years. He has a professional approach to his training and will be a player to watch out for in the coming years.

The young West Australian made considerable progress in his second season on the senior list, breaking into the senior side for his league debut in the penultimate round.

He began the year in the NAB Challenge squad, laying 11 tackles in the first two games.

Returning to the VFL for the home and away season, Ramsay was a solid performer all season long. He regularly negated his direct opponent in the back pocket and began to lift his disposal count as the year wore on.

Ranked equal first for bounces and seventh for tackles among the VFL Magpies, Ramsay received his first senior appointment when the team travelled to western Sydney in round 22.

He performed credibly, winning 12 tackles and laying four tackles on debut before following that with 10 disposals in the final round against Hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Jackson Ramsay (Delisted 2017)

Back