Recommitted Jacob Hopper [re-signed until 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

So kelly signing leaves less of the pie for this guy

Nekminnit gws offer another long term deal as the salary cap doesn’t exist for them ;)
What is it that other clubs spew? "Our players are happy to sign for less because they can see success" or something like that. Possibility that Hopper is pretty happy woth where the club and himself are at and took less to be part of it 🥰

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably a made up rumour, but I'm sure everybody has seen that 'Hawthorn are very keen'.

Would love him but don't see it happening.

No idea how we would facilitate a trade anyway. No way are we using our first rounder.

Anybody got a hypothetical for what it would take to get Hopper to Hawthorn on the slim chance it came up?

Probably a made up rumour, but I'm sure everybody has seen that 'Hawthorn are very keen'.

No idea how we would facilitate a trade anyway. No way are we using our first rounder.

Anybody got a hypothetical for what it would take to get Hopper to Hawthorn on the slim chance it came up?

If he was going, I would say your first pick this year and next. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd going back.

More than likely our Best and Fairest for this year.

All reports I’ve heard is she is staying for 2 more to take him up to free agency.

Good player but wouldn’t he be the exact opposite of what we need? All the talk this year is that we need to move one of worpel, O’Meara or titch on but then we bring in a bloke with fairly similar traits?

Good player but wouldn’t he be the exact opposite of what we need? All the talk this year is that we need to move one of worpel, O’Meara or titch on but then we bring in a bloke with fairly similar traits?

I think this year he showed he can do a bit more than just the heavy lifting. There was a game at Marvel earlier in the season where he was lacing out a leading Jesse Hogan all night long. That's one thing our mids haven't been doing at all.

Also could mean IF the rumours were true and we thought he was gettable that we may know that one of Titch or JOM are going to be on the move.

The Tigercast last night mentioned that Richmond are keen on Hopper.

He loves GWS and wants to stay, but with Kelly making them honour his crazy deal GWS are struggling to pay Hopper what he deserves.

Richmond are trying their hardest to pry either him or Green out of GWS. Have been told Taranto is a definite no.

I still think Hopper stays, and we'll probably keep coming back to try and get Green every year.

He loves GWS and wants to stay, but with Kelly making them honour his crazy deal GWS are struggling to pay Hopper what he deserves.

Richmond are trying their hardest to pry either him or Green out of GWS. Have been told Taranto is a definite no.

I still think Hopper stays, and we'll probably keep coming back to try and get Green every year.

We don’t have a cap issue.

We don’t have a cap issue.
The figure floated on the podcast that Hopper could command on the open market was $850k.

I'm not sure your club could come close to that sort of coin given you also have Kelly, Coniglio, Greene, Taranto, Whitfield and others commanding big coin.

I still think he'll take unders and stay, but it's not definite.

The figure floated on the podcast that Hopper could command on the open market was $850k.

I'm not sure your club could come close to that sort of coin given you also have Kelly, Coniglio, Greene, Taranto, Whitfield and others commanding big coin.

I still think he'll take unders and stay, but it's not definite.

given that even with the Chook deal, Jezza would have commanded more than 850k & we were happy to match & could afford both, but he left anyway, that left a Jezza size bucket of money in the cap. Throw in what Williams & Corr would have cost us to keep as well and there was a fair amount of money saved that could be used on the likes of hopper.

you also have to remember that TFG renegotiated his contract earlier this year to, reportedly, take less than he was going to get, but get more years in the process. More money saved over the long haul.

there‘s also that phrase “open market” - lots of different players stay at lots of different clubs for lots of different reasons for less than what they could get on “the open market”.

Our cap space is not as tight as you might imagine

edit: oh, and TNT has already re-signed to the end of 2023, so you aren’t prying him out either

Last edited:

Hopper is not getting paid peanuts now, I doubt he will get $850k from us and of course he will have to take unders to stay, there are clubs desperate to get players this good. We likely have to find $200k to increase his current wage to a competitive market rate. Retirements are probably up in the air at this point which is a factor.

I think this year he showed he can do a bit more than just the heavy lifting. There was a game at Marvel earlier in the season where he was lacing out a leading Jesse Hogan all night long. That's one thing our mids haven't been doing at all.

Also could mean IF the rumours were true and we thought he was gettable that we may know that one of Titch or JOM are going to be on the move.
I'd be taking those to the draft if I was Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Jacob Hopper [re-signed until 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back