Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick] - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We gave up one future round pick of next year that was tied to GWS finishing position. Think about that.
Given most of us would actually expect GWS winning premiership or close in 2017 that means, the pick in 2017 we could have held onto would have likely been about pick 40.
Why you may ask?
Well round one normally finishes at pick 18. Add a few free agency compo picks in, during, or at back, of round one, and likely round two picks do not even start until about pick 23. So last two picks in round two of 2017 draft I expect to be about pick 40 and 41. What I would expect would be the 2nd rounder we traded to Hawks that tied to GWS finishing spot.

What did Hawthorn trade to us for giving up that single pick next year ?

Pick 48, 66 and 70 this next month.

Seems very fair deal for mine even as a Carlton fan.

If we had not done that deal our coming draft picks would be 5,25, 63 , 81 and 99.
Quite a gap there in 3rd and 4th round of drafts waiting for next pick.
Now we have picks
5, 25, 48, 63, 66, 70, 81 and 99.

More draftees into club we can start developing and looking at under Bolton sooner in a list we are having massive turnover in over last 18 months. Getting more new players in now is more important for us than holding onto a single pick 40ish a year later.

Ah, thanks for the explanation!

I thought Carlton had traded away their second rounder next year, not gws's

Come on guys we have melted down one section of this website keep talking there must be something else to say. what about how good at getting the ball from the perks to our runners on the outside Tom Mitchell Jaeger O'meara Breaking away from packs or feeding it out to Smith and Hartung can't wait for round one.

Come on guys we have melted down one section of this website keep talking there must be something else to say.

Nope....It seems that Landsberger, the Hun, Robbo & Tulla; have finally resigned themselves to reality.

And not before time.

No wonder the bowls club wanted rid of them.

Hawthorn have a plan to reinvigorate our midfield and next year when we bring Dustin Martin I wonder I if the AFL will pull the trigger and put some draft restrictions on us because after we do that we will be serious contenders for the next five years..that's what the AFL don't want they thought we were gonna bottom out but they're in for a big surprise.this was just the start next year will be a big controversy

Hawthorn have a plan to reinvigorate our midfield and next year when we bring Dustin Martin I wonder I if the AFL will pull the trigger and put some draft restrictions on us because after we do that we will be serious contenders for the next five years..that's what the AFL don't want they thought we were gonna bottom out but they're in for a big surprise.this was just the start next year will be a big controversy
Don't count your chickens before they hatch...

is he back training haven't seen any information to say whether he is still injured or back in full training

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this thread needs to have its title changed to JOM & related trades watch thread (points for someone coming up with a cooler name!)

Probably its the biggest bombshell player movement since buddy left, and has bigger ramifications than that one. I have included Brad Hill as well in the below scenario, as the Hill compensation was included in the trade to St Kilda. Is it worth including the Mitchell / Lewis trade here as well, as perhaps JOM's contract forced out Mitchell, and in consequence, Lewis also left once he found out about discussions with Melbourne?

Everyone is waiting to find out as soon as something happens, including myself. Already, the news is JOM won't start running at least until christmas, and St Kilda's & Gold Coast have taken their picks. St Kilda has taken Ben Long on a reach for 23 as they thought Bulldogs would take him with their next pick, but got a slider in Josh Battle for 36. Pick 10, was effectively used up for academy points for Jack Bowes by Gold Coast.

It can be a great story, JOM gets fit and takes Hawthorn to glory, Jack Bowes becomes the top 10 type player he's rated at, Brad Hill plays a long career at Freo, and St Kilda's picks come good.

Or in a worst case scenario, it can be a real Greek tragedy, where JOM doesn't play a long career, Bowes is a disappointment, Brad Hill goes off the rails, and St Kilda's picks don't do well/get injured.

So much impact, and 4 clubs impacted. There should be a discussion during the entirety of 2017 season, as peak and trough of the each win / loss / performance / news comes about.

For me, I would love for this thread to be stickied. :)

Would you rather 'HIgh Risk High Reward'?....yes that pick doesn't get called out for 12 months - is that not in the future, the future where you will NOT have a first round pick?

And you missed pick 23 that was also sent to the Saints

This is what fires up people - yep the Hawks deserve respect for their recent success but this absolute denial of the risk involved is just ridiculous.

You might not like 'the narrative' but it is reality and if you are anyone but a Hawks supporter in denial you would understand it

Sure there is risk.

You complain that Hawthorn fans denying this 'fires people up' but most of us aren't. What fires Hawks fans up is the notion that they have gambled their future. Its hyperbolic bullshit

Sure there is risk.

You complain that Hawthorn fans denying this 'fires people up' but most of us aren't. What fires Hawks fans up is the notion that they have gambled their future. Its hyperbolic bullshit

No you are miss quoting me; not complaining at all just stating a fact

Yep I disagree with you over something separate to that ie your little explosion re hyperbolic bullshit. I believe the Hawks are playing high risk but do not care as the Saints can not lose out of that trade - two picks plus a future first rounder ...cheers and thanks for that.

So it does not matter that we disagree - enjoy your season next year; I like others will be watching very closely

Last edited:
I think this thread needs to have its title changed to JOM & related trades watch thread (points for someone coming up with a cooler name!)

Probably its the biggest bombshell player movement since buddy left, and has bigger ramifications than that one. I have included Brad Hill as well in the below scenario, as the Hill compensation was included in the trade to St Kilda. Is it worth including the Mitchell / Lewis trade here as well, as perhaps JOM's contract forced out Mitchell, and in consequence, Lewis also left once he found out about discussions with Melbourne?

Everyone is waiting to find out as soon as something happens, including myself. Already, the news is JOM won't start running at least until christmas, and St Kilda's & Gold Coast have taken their picks. St Kilda has taken Ben Long on a reach for 23 as they thought Bulldogs would take him with their next pick, but got a slider in Josh Battle for 36. Pick 10, was effectively used up for academy points for Jack Bowes by Gold Coast.

It can be a great story, JOM gets fit and takes Hawthorn to glory, Jack Bowes becomes the top 10 type player he's rated at, Brad Hill plays a long career at Freo, and St Kilda's picks come good.

Or in a worst case scenario, it can be a real Greek tragedy, where JOM doesn't play a long career, Bowes is a disappointment, Brad Hill goes off the rails, and St Kilda's picks don't do well/get injured.

So much impact, and 4 clubs impacted. There should be a discussion during the entirety of 2017 season, as peak and trough of the each win / loss / performance / news comes about.

For me, I would love for this thread to be stickied. :)

The Croad trade to Freo was a massive bombshell at the time. Leigh Colbert quitting Geelong (as captain no less) was also massive, yet oddly The Hawks and Cats came out streets ahead.

If JOM stays healthy, Hawks win the trade hands down, Clarko and his head honchos have the track record to back up their judgement

No you are miss quoting me; not complaining at all just stating a fact

Yep I disagree with you over something separate to that ie your little explosion re hyperbolic bullshit. I believe the Hawks are playing high risk but do not care as the Saints can not lose out of that trade - two picks plus a future first rounder ...cheers and thanks for that.

So it does not matter that we disagree - enjoy your season next year; I like others will be watching very closely

An opinion isn't a fact and it wasn't an 'explosion' mate. I've read this thread, you seem to enjoy 'calling people out' for explosions and over reactions when they aren't there, some sort of misguided attempt at taking the high road or something. Give it a spell yeah?

No need to thank me for the trade, I had nothing to do with it.

An opinion isn't a fact and it wasn't an 'explosion' mate. I've read this thread, you seem to enjoy 'calling people out' for explosions and over reactions when they aren't there, some sort of misguided attempt at taking the high road or something. Give it a spell yeah?

No need to thank me for the trade, I had nothing to do with it.

Cheers mate - yep opinion isn't a fact will agree with that; I'll take your advice and toddle off.

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick] - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back