Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Not only did he not return early the next month, he shopped himself around without playing another game.

Wrong. He returned via the NEAFL the next month, just as his manager said he would. Played 3 games, pulled up sore, and pulled plug for another knee procedure. BTW there is no way a player in their right mind with a tendency for knee soreness is going to want to play for a team with Etihad as their home ground. Career suicide. I'm sure Essendon is still at the cutting edge of sports science, so may be able to help with his knee, but he has a relationship from his AIS days with the Hawthorn medical team, who he trusts to manage his knee appropriately. The Etihad ground and prior medical relationship will be things that will be tabled if this goes to mediation (if it hasn't already).

355 pages before Godwins Law invoked is actually quite commendable

To be honest, some of those response are basically the highlight of the thread for me.

Well Tom Mitchell was playing better footy than Lewis for periods of the year, so that may be an upgrade at this stage in their respective careers.

Sam Mitchell is a special player, and his decision making in traffic was (and still is) close to the best in the competition. JOM however has a number of qualities Sam lacks, and may overall be a better player if he can go at 100%. His first game back in the NEAFL after a massive gap was ridiculously good for a guy out of the game for such a period of time. He probably still has some development time to get to his full potential, but he is already very good. There are good reasons why Hawks are chasing him so hard, and why GC are so pissed off that he is leaving. It is very likely that In: Mitchell/JOM out: Mitchell/Lewis actually makes us stronger , not weaker, perhaps not at the start of 2017, but by 2018 that will definitely be the case unless they've incorrectly assessed his knee. 3 of the 7 games we lost during the year were after Ceglar went down with an ACL, so replacing him with Vickery will also improve us. We've also got 7 debutantes from last year , some of which will hopefully build on their experience in the seniors, and push their way into senior selection. A lot of people have written off JOR who was a #2 pick, but his development was so interrupted by injury, that there is still reason to hope he might start to show performances closer to his draft selection number than has been possible for him so far.

Whether we go up or down next year will depend a lot on how much deterioration we get from Hodge/Gibson/Burgoyne during the season. Burgoyne had the best year of the three, but age wise is perhaps most vulnerable given his dodgy knee can't last forever, despite the minor miracles the medical team seem to have done on it. Hodge was rumoured to be carry an injury for large parts of the year, and was still very good in some key games. Gibson may be getting close to cooked, but it is hard to know how much his relatively poor end of the season was due to him receiving a defensive forward tag for a bunch of games towards the end of the year. Some Hawk fans think he's cooked, and it was his body , not the tags, so we'll see how that goes. We are of course hopefully Roughead will be able to play again, perhaps as early as next year.

We also had a game plan that got beyond its used by day by year end. We'd managed to build a game plan that allowed us to lose contested possession, but flaws in that style had been discovered and exploited during the year. There is no doubt we'll adjust this over the off-season, and there will be less time put into pulling apart the Hawthorn game plan as the focus shifts from opposition coaches onto how they are planning to stop GWS/Doggies.

If we can add JOM to T.Mitchell and Vickery, I don't think we should drop too far, and even if next year is a down year while we integrated new players into a new game plan, we'll still have plenty of cap space to make a large FA offer to one of the big FA fish next year to further bolster the midfield (e.g. Fyfe or Martin). A midfield built around TOM, JOM, and one of Fyfe/Martin would put us strongly back in contention, especially as our forward line is still relatively young, and despite Roughead's absence and poor performance from our midfield in terms of contested possession and clearances over the year, performed fairly well with 3 players scoring 40+ goals each.

According to him via his manager, he still prefers Hawthorn, and is not interested in changing that preference to Essendon.

To the club you've spent your life barracking for? Hardly a surprising suggestion. If I was O'Meara , I'd be going to the club that has a 4 times premiership winning coach, and a list that just won 3 flags, and was 1 kick off a prelim. Especially if my alternative choice was a team whose reputation had been dragged through the mud for the last 4 years. It is still a big unknown how Essendon will respond on the field after the trauma they've all suffered. They've got a list that could perform well next year, but how psychologically damaged will they be?

I think you're overlooking the fact that you're coming back from a season with a % of 120 and out of the finals in straight sets to an old rival and the up and coming reigning premiers, both home games. If the hawks had gone to Sydney or any interstate final they'd have been spanked. Hawthorn have a of work to do and by even the most optimistic outlook they'll only be as good as last year if Vickery, T Mitchell and O'Meara are all superstars and guys like Gibson and Hodge can go around again.

Hawthorn were lucky to make top 4 last year off the back of some close victories. Next year they'll be lucky to make finals even with O'Meara assuming he's fully fit.

Wrong. He returned via the NEAFL the next month, just as his manager said he would. Played 3 games, pulled up sore, and pulled plug for another knee procedure. BTW there is no way a player in their right mind with a tendency for knee soreness is going to want to play for a team with Etihad as their home ground. Career suicide. I'm sure Essendon is still at the cutting edge of sports science, so may be able to help with his knee, but he has a relationship from his AIS days with the Hawthorn medical team, who he trusts to manage his knee appropriately. The Etihad ground and prior medical relationship will be things that will be tabled if this goes to mediation (if it hasn't already).

So his knee flared up again and then he started shopping himself around? Still defies everything the manager had previously said.

MCG is no better for knees than Etihad, people do their knees at both. Etihad is supposedly worse for repetitive type injuries, but even the Bombers play plenty of home games at the MCG.

I think you're overlooking the fact that you're coming back from a season with a % of 120 and out of the finals in straight sets to an old rival and the up and coming reigning premiers, both home games. If the hawks had gone to Sydney or any interstate final they'd have been spanked.

You mean the way we were spanked when we beat Sydney in Sydney in the second half of the year? Such selectively memory. I agree GWS would have spanked us in Sydney, but probably not Sydney.

Hawthorn have a of work to do and by even the most optimistic outlook they'll only be as good as last year if Vickery, T Mitchell and O'Meara are all superstars and guys like Gibson and Hodge can go around again.

No, optimistically Vickery replacing Ceglar who wasn't available in our last 3 losses, T Michell arguably in better form than Lewis, and O'Meara offering a better mix of inside/outside than S.Mitchell provided may indeed make us better. Especially if we can fix the game plan issues that left us so vulnerable to outside run.

So his knee flared up again and then he started shopping himself around? Still defies everything the manager had previously said.

Not really. Perhaps knee flare up was the last straw (although I doubt it, and I agree he probably had an eye to return to Melbourne well before that, but his manager was certainly not lying about returning to football as you suggested he was).

MCG is no better for knees than Etihad, people do their knees at both.

There is a common belief that the hard surface contributes to knee problems. JOM would have heard this, whether it is statistically sound or not is probably missing the point, if JOM believes it is true, then that is the issue.

Etihad is supposedly worse for repetitive type injuries, but even the Bombers play plenty of home games at the MCG.

Not as many as Hawthorn. Our other home ground is also of the "not hard on the knees" variety.

I'm sure they've been working on it. In case you haven't noticed, the Hawthorn list management team have been pretty busy so far this trade period. Can't do everything at once.
Yep, Hawks are getting lots and lots of deals done, except this one.
I'm sure he'll get there, but I was amazed hearing that no offer had even been made yet.
How often are first offers excepted?
The clock is ticking.

MCG is no better for knees than Etihad, people do their knees at both. Etihad is supposedly worse for repetitive type injuries, but even the Bombers play plenty of home games at the MCG.
He'll be fine, knees and all. I remember a player we had nick named Lofty. He started playing badly and we asked what's wrong Lofty my son. It turned out he was too long for his bed and hadn't had a good nights sleep in ages. We chipped in for a longer bed, he was a standout and we won the GF. Simple solution.

I still think O'Meara has upped his asking price, he'd be mad not to, especially if he didn't know the club he was destined for were about to off-load their 1-2 in the best and fairest.

Hawthorn fans can belittle Jordan Lewis all they want, it doesn't change the fact that the club voted him as the second best player of the year. Says a lot about the state of that list when their fans are saying the fifth best midfielder at Sydney is better than their best player.

I still think O'Meara has upped his asking price, he'd be mad not to, especially if he didn't know the club he was destined for were about to off-load their 1-2 in the best and fairest.

Hawthorn fans can belittle Jordan Lewis all they want, it doesn't change the fact that the club voted him as the second best player of the year. Says a lot about the state of that list when their fans are saying the fifth best midfielder at Sydney is better than their best player.

Great logic. One has a year left, the other has 10 years left.

As it stands right now Hawthorn either get JOM with pick 10 and whatever else.

Or Hawks get JOM for free and go to the draft with pick 10 :) Do it Clarko - tell em' all to get stuffed

He'd be crazy to do that if he wants to go to a team with future success, we still need to regen at least one more midfield position, and JOM probably knows that.

We are realistic and know what 18th best contested possession team, and 10th best clearance team means in terms of our midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand how Dion Prestia and O'meara trades are holding up other trades I heard on sen before the trade period there would be up to 40 players move this trade period it's been nowhere near that how can these two trades be holding up everything it baffles for me I really thought there would be a lot more action from a lot of clubs.

Great logic. One has a year left, the other has 10 years left.

As it stands right now Hawthorn either get JOM with pick 10 and whatever else.

Or Hawks get JOM for free and go to the draft with pick 10 :) Do it Clarko - tell em' all to get stuffed
Hawks wouldn't get O'Meara under this scenario, Essendon would.

Hawthorn would be left with pick 10.

Go for it, Clarko!

He'd be crazy to do that if he wants to go to a team with future success, we still need to regen at least one more midfield position, and JOM probably knows that.

We are realistic and know what 18th best contested possession team, and 10th best clearance team means in terms of our midfield.
Only Hawthorn people believe the myth that players take unders to bring in other players. They even fell for the lie when the Hawthorn Football club told everyone that Mitchell and others had taken pay cuts to stay on, when in fact they hadn't done any such thing and now two of them are confirmed out the door to free up cap space.

Only Hawthorn people believe the myth that players take unders to bring in other players. They even fell for the lie when the Hawthorn Football club told everyone that Mitchell and others had taken pay cuts to stay on, when in fact they hadn't done any such thing and now two of them are confirmed out the door to free up cap space.
Correct, it's all a matrix. Lies all over the place. Stay away Jaguar- take the red pill and head to the Saints. they're so cool ATM.

... His first game back in the NEAFL after a massive gap was ridiculously good for a guy out of the game for such a period of time...
It was OK, but remember:
1. It's the NEAFL, where Brandon Jack gets 30+ each week (he got 34 that game) and Dean Towers is regularly BOG.
2. GC had no midfield. Seriously none. They had so many injuries, their midfield was third-stringers, academy players and a few kids they convinced to play footy instead of going to Wet'n'wild for the day. (Final score Syd 26.14.170 to GC 7.4.46)
3. He could only play a half before going off sore.

So don't read TOO much into that game. He was OK.

I remember when we were making the deal for Burgoyne and all the Essendon flogs jumping up and down going we can jump in on this and get it done.
Funny how history repeats itself.

Fact is one of the main reasons JOM nominated Hawthorn is because of the medical and sports science team and their history with Burgoyne.
On the flip side we have the Bombers medical and sports science history.............
But sure Slobbo writes an article in that trash mag The Hun and it's Bombers are gonna get him delusions.

Gold Coast is one of the most unprofessional clubs anyone could deal with maybe that's the reason no one wants to play for them Sydney needed to trade, Mitchell worked out his value and excepted a fair deal. it looks like Hawthorn have bent over backwards trying to get this deal done Gold Coast are just too unprofessional and it also looks like Richmond have also bent over backwards to get a deal done for Prestia again Gold Coast unprofessional if they wanted players they should have taken draft picks and tried to work out deals themselves even with Hawthorn or Richmond players but they expect all the hard work to be done by others. I personally hope the deal with a O'meara falls down and he goes to Essendon for free. It is very dangerous to be risking so much for a player with dodgy knees.
I really wish Hawthorn would deal with a more professional club if they want to rebuild their midfield like GWS. Or just go to the draft try and get a O'meara or the best player available at 10 we would get a very good player at 10 in this good deep draft.
Did you really have to create a new account for this drivel, just shows not even you believe it

Such as patella tendonitis? Which is the concern with O'Meara given he is recovering from a ruptured patella tendon, not a ruptured ACL.

I remember when we were making the deal for Burgoyne and all the Essendon flogs jumping up and down going we can jump in on this and get it done.
Funny how history repeats itself.

Fact is one of the main reasons JOM nominated Hawthorn is because of the medical and sports science team and their history with Burgoyne.
On the flip side we have the Bombers medical and sports science history.............
But sure Slobbo writes an article in that trash mag The Hun and it's Bombers are gonna get him delusions.

We did jump in and get it done....

...For you.

You mean the way we were spanked when we beat Sydney in Sydney in the second half of the year? Such selectively memory. I agree GWS would have spanked us in Sydney, but probably not Sydney.

No, optimistically Vickery replacing Ceglar who wasn't available in our last 3 losses, T Michell arguably in better form than Lewis, and O'Meara offering a better mix of inside/outside than S.Mitchell provided may indeed make us better. Especially if we can fix the game plan issues that left us so vulnerable to outside run.
We're unlikely to be better next season. Come back to Kansas Dorothy.
The decisions made this offseason aren't designed to make us better immediately

He returned that's true

It's also true that Young was lying about shopping OMeara around

Traded Jaeger O'Meara [traded to Hawthorn for pick 10 and GWS's 2017 2nd rd pick]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back